Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by cyseal
I would suggest that thief gameplay should get improved a lot.

Hide in shadows, sneak behind A.I., laying better traps would need improvement to get more dynamic and interesting thief gameplay.

I'm much more a fan of BG1 than BG2 (or more specifically BG1 with SCS and other mods installed), but one thing I did really find fun was using the traps skill with thieves in BG2. I realize you can do it in BG tutu and BGEE, but unless you have like 3 thieves or something you have to spend skill points early on in more basic stufff like Pick Locks, Find Traps, Hide in Shadows, and Move Silently (although I've often wondered if I'm wasting points by puttting them into both HiS and MS when they both do the same thing).

Anyway, I need to look at how 5e handles thieiving skills. But it's heartening to read that 5e hearkens back to 2e AD&D in many ways.

Edit: Just took a gander at the 5e SRD, didn't see setting traps on the list of skills for Rogues/Thieves. Oh well! Maybe they can incorporate it nevertheless.

Last edited by Lemernis; 07/07/19 12:41 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mhroczyn
- castle system sth like in NWN2,
- meaningful romances not tainted with SJW bullshit and political correctness, ahh Viconia...
- make elves look georgeus more Tolkien like style (I'm writing this because I saw what you did to elves in DOS2, despite different promotional materials, you want sth ugly you have half-orcs, gnomes and some humans:),
- if you're going to include tieflings and aasmiars make them look more like in 3rd D&D edition and not like 4th...
- companions quests with meaningful endings and consequences in campaign gameplay,
- surprise me (escape from tarrasque scenario, divine interventions, vampire / werewolf system, succubus hidden under your companion skin, whatever!
- references from previous games,
- if you worship god make it count, dialogues, NPC interactions, privileges in their temples, etc.
- make elven city, seriously I didn't saw even single elven city in any D&D based game like wtf? send us to Evermeet or sth... (wood elves doesn't count),
- subraces?

Just curious but what kind of SJW bullshit do you mean? Like going over the top in asking for censent in tripplet, Romance mixed in with Intersectional feminist leactures, and so on? Because Larian Studios doesn't seem the type. The closest to that would be all romancible Companions will likely be bisexual, which from a practical perpective makes sense, more bang for the buck, and the Blessed of Corellon Larethian optional Elf Racial Feature that allows the Elf to change Genders during a long rest. Personally I think that was neat. And before any misunderstandings I'm an MRA not an SJW.

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
We need dragon lady in the game

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XBGrky

S
veteran
veteran
S
no please we dont need Monstergirls.

As for SJW bullshit, Larian is indeed not the type. I think thats a knee jerk reaction because of the Companions Beamdog added to the EE, many who have been considered to be overly political.
Shoehorning a fucking gamergate joke of all things into it didnt help either (when was that again? 3 years prior? maybe more?)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Swen Vincke's recent comment about doing away with spell slots/spell memorization and probably going with cooldowns has me really worried and very unhappy. Sounds like yet another way this game will be more a D:OS game than a BG game.

+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
Given that some Spells have a different degree of damage depending on what level you cast them at. A cooldown system would not work. Also you can cast the same spell over and over again until you have now more slots available. You can cast Magic missile as many times as you have spell slots. If you take away from how the rules handle spells is it really D&D anymore.

Part of the way spells are chosen to be cast and what level they are cast at is all part of the D&D experience. So I vote on keeping spell slots in. When I go to cast a spell. I just click what spell slot I want to use from those that are available for use. Casting magic missile at 9th level is what I choose (or have to use because it is the only slot left). It is all about player agency.

S
veteran
veteran
S
where did sven say theyll get rid of spell slots and introduce cooldowns?
i did not hear about htat at all.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
where did sven say theyll get rid of spell slots and introduce cooldowns?
i did not hear about htat at all.

That would be because he said nothing like that.

S
veteran
veteran
S
called it.

Just more hateboner and fear mongering

Last edited by Sordak; 14/07/19 07:46 AM.
stranger
stranger
Must Have List
1. Tactical Combat: If you can mindlessly repeat the same attack pattern and win it doesn't require tactics. BG2 had a great experience where the priests of the Blind Beholder kept whupping my party. I searched through the character's spell-lists for some game changer and found the druid's bugswarm would silence multiple enemies. That one change flipped an overwhelming opponent into a vulnerable opponent.
2.Good quest design flow with multiple ways to enter, end, and progress through a quest. https://i.imgur.com/mAENC.jpg
3. Reactivity. Even small touches of polish like Deus Ex having JC Denton's boss scold him if you run into the women's bathroom made the world feel alive.
4. Leverage Character Stats outside combat/rolls. The Sith Lords had a lot of speech content options which were unlocked based on the intelligence stat; Bloodlines had dialogue exclusive to Malkavians which made for some of the most memorable scenes (talking to the tv, talking to the stop sign), Fallout 2's low-intelligence playthrough was funny, while the character was too dumb to understand most quests, he understood the meaning of a crude brahmin drawing on the town's bulletin board.
5. Many playthrough paths > longer main story playtime. Data from games like Days Gone's main story completion show less than half of players beating the game. ME2's official release on the same data years-out was also 4x% of players beat the game. Better to have a shorter single-playthrough duration and more character-build-derived content to reward repeated playthroughs. That way casual players see the whole main story and gamers get to see different content depending on their choices, like in The Witcher 2 where the 2nd act of the game is completely different based on who you leave the starting-area with.

Do Not Want
Preached to from the Frankfurt School.

S
veteran
veteran
S
man, i sure see a lot of people getting burned by modern western RPGs.
As for shorter playthoruhs, i like long campaigns, btu then im also someone who plays through games multiple times, for example one single player one multiplayer.

but generaly for RPGs, i do like longievity.

addict
addict
Not nerfing any class by not implementing key features.
Just imagine how rogues would play without cunning action or sorcerer without metamagic.

addict
addict
Not nerfing any feats also.
Sharpshooter and Lucky are OP, but if players want to use, let'em. Choice is always better.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i disagree.

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline

Weird Stronghold Raids

There could be weird Strongholds never seen before like the ones of (demi)liches, vampire lords,...
Party could go to raid the Stronghold with interesting fights.
Some Strongholds could be located in unworldly planes.

Trap books and trinkets

Given the book as gift, once opened, you're trapped in a plane. The book was meant to eliminate you by trapping in a maze. You have to find exit portal to a plane and find out who wants to eliminate you and why.

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Boss fights could have, let's say 4 stages, in which they have special animations and different strategies for player to fight them.
Health bar could be split in these 4 stages so that player knows when new strategy round starts.

[Linked Image]

In DOS2, health healing icon was regular modern health sign. I think in such fantasy theme, healing icon should be more exotic.

[Linked Image]

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline

I wish monsters are reimagined and rather scary and grotesque. More sublime and menacing.

There is the spider queen, medusa (woman with snakes for hair), liches, yuan ti ...

old hand
old hand

As for SJW bullshit, Larian is indeed not the type. I think thats a knee jerk reaction because of the Companions Beamdog added to the EE, many who have been considered to be overly political.
Shoehorning a fucking gamergate joke of all things into it didnt help either (when was that again? 3 years prior? maybe more?)

Every game needs Monstergirls, but this is the Forgotten Realms, the raunchiest D&D setting. At minium there will be Tiefling women and female Dragon Sorcerers. And there is likely just the beginning.

S
veteran
veteran
S
my dude im all for having sexy women
Just not straight up monstergirls /tg/ is just wrong about that particular thing

old hand
old hand
my dude im all for having sexy women
Just not straight up monstergirls /tg/ is just wrong about that particular thing

/tg/?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard