Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I want to try Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcerer, Drow Wild Sorcerer, Yuan Ti Pureblood Paladin of Conquest, Triton Storm Sorcerer, Shadar Kai Way of Shadows Monk, Eladarin Oath of the Ancients Paladin, Kobold Beastmaster Ranger, Fierna Tiefling Trickery Cleric.

veteran
veteran
Your enthusiasm is infectious.
I'm actually hoping to be able to play a Mystic Theurge, for once.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
In 5e there is nothing called a Mystic Theurge, but that is because the way the rules are designed, it's redundant. There are many ways to design one.

In 5e see if you just multiclass say Cleric and Wizard that works better then 3.5 Mystic Theurge ever did. You will get a 9th level spell slot, up 5th level of spells known in both classes, and various features like the Clerics Channel Divinity, 4 out of 5 of your domain subclass features, destroy undead of up to 1 CR, Divine Intervention, and the Wizards Arcane Recovery, and 3 out of 4 Arcane Tradition subclass features.

Alternately you can just play a straight Wizard or Cleric but take the Ritual Caster feat which is basically a specialized form of multiclassing where you get a ritual caster book that you can put spells with the ritual tag into it from the class you linked the feat to. So a Cleric with the ritual caster feat Wizard could put spells like Find Familiar, Dectect Magic, Breath Water, Illusionary Steed, Tiny Hut, and more into their Ritual Caster book.

Way 3 is the Divine Soul Sorcerer. A Sorcerer who gets a feature at first level called Divine Magic that allows him to pick Divine Spells by picking spells off the cleric spell list as well as the Sorcerer's spell list, and a bonus cleric spell. He also can boost his own and his allies healing spells for 1 sorcery point, gets either angelic, demonic, or dragonfly wings depending on alignment affinity of his un/holy ancestor, and a major self heal at high level. And the usual Sorcerer stuff, metamagic, flexible casting, and extra cantrip. I like to take Ritual Casting Feat Wizard or Cleric or Druid or Bard in addition.

Way 4 is to play a Bard and cherry pick spells from the cleric and wizard spell lists using magical secrets.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 10/07/19 03:42 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
well going pnly by PHB, im gonna end up playing a Dragonborn or Half orc battlemaster. Maybe going for the Polearm master / sentinell meme build
If some other things are included i absoluteley want to try a Conquest Paladin.
Im mostly a DM myself, so getting to actually make a chracter myself is already a win for me.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It occurs to me that we don't know how many characters we make ourselves in BG3, if the partybis the Protangonist, it might be more then 1 in addition to companions.

L
addict
addict
L
First question if what rule books will they use; Xanathars, Eberron, etc. Will they allow all races, classes and subclasses, feats etc. Im sure there'll be plenty of options. And after starting can we design our companions

S
veteran
veteran
S
right now id expet PHB and nothing beyond that, especialy Volos and Xanthars sound like a bit of a stretch, Volos more so than Xanthars.
In terms of races: if you look at OS2, Larians approach to races is deep rather than wide, each race in OS2 had its own unique armor sets and weapons, its own unique animaitons and so on.
that doesnt lead itself to having 20+ races.
Then again, in DnD the vast majority of races is very simmilar to Humans.
From the PHB races only the Dragonborn and Tieflings are siginificantly different from Humans and even those are, essentialy, just humans with dragon heads or demon tails respectiveley

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
In 5e there is nothing called a Mystic Theurge, but that is because the way the rules are designed, it's redundant. There are many ways to design one.

In 5e see if you just multiclass say Cleric and Wizard that works better then 3.5 Mystic Theurge ever did. You will get a 9th level spell slot, up 5th level of spells known in both classes, and various features like the Clerics Channel Divinity, 4 out of 5 of your domain subclass features, destroy undead of up to 1 CR, Divine Intervention, and the Wizards Arcane Recovery, and 3 out of 4 Arcane Tradition subclass features.

Alternately you can just play a straight Wizard or Cleric but take the Ritual Caster feat which is basically a specialized form of multiclassing where you get a ritual caster book that you can put spells with the ritual tag into it from the class you linked the feat to. So a Cleric with the ritual caster feat Wizard could put spells like Find Familiar, Dectect Magic, Breath Water, Illusionary Steed, Tiny Hut, and more into their Ritual Caster book.

Way 3 is the Divine Soul Sorcerer. A Sorcerer who gets a feature at first level called Divine Magic that allows him to pick Divine Spells by picking spells off the cleric spell list as well as the Sorcerer's spell list, and a bonus cleric spell. He also can boost his own and his allies healing spells for 1 sorcery point, gets either angelic, demonic, or dragonfly wings depending on alignment affinity of his un/holy ancestor, and a major self heal at high level. And the usual Sorcerer stuff, metamagic, flexible casting, and extra cantrip. I like to take Ritual Casting Feat Wizard or Cleric or Druid or Bard in addition.

Way 4 is to play a Bard and cherry pick spells from the cleric and wizard spell lists using magical secrets.

Very interesting!

stranger
stranger
any good place to read up about 5e?

I thought sorcerer was redundant with the new way spells were handled... but I must be wrong!

S
veteran
veteran
S
5E still has spellsots, you are thinking 4E

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Stahl33
any good place to read up about 5e?

You could start here:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
right now id expet PHB and nothing beyond that, especialy Volos and Xanthars sound like a bit of a stretch, Volos more so than Xanthars.
In terms of races: if you look at OS2, Larians approach to races is deep rather than wide, each race in OS2 had its own unique armor sets and weapons, its own unique animaitons and so on.
that doesnt lead itself to having 20+ races.
Then again, in DnD the vast majority of races is very simmilar to Humans.
From the PHB races only the Dragonborn and Tieflings are siginificantly different from Humans and even those are, essentialy, just humans with dragon heads or demon tails respectiveley

These are D&D races following 5e rules. Most of the work will be in creating the avatars of each race. No unique racial armour or anything like that. Limited racial feats in XGTE. Bladesinger wizard subclass only allows Elves and Half Elves (Shadar Kai are elves now, so they can be bladesinger which is just kind of weird), and battlerager barbarian subclass is Dwarf only. Other then those and the races traits there are no real races unique stuff.

So adding races in will be easier, plus the shear size of the team.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Well, the Armors in Divintiy were also not "Racial" armors but each armor appeared differently on each race because each of them had a distinct visual theme.
This is less true in DnD, but it also depends on the artist.
In some editions certain races have very strong aestheitcs to them.
I also dont think its gonna happen, but its a possibility.
as for racial archetypes, well, i somehow dont think well get to that.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
Well, the Armors in Divintiy were also not "Racial" armors but each armor appeared differently on each race because each of them had a distinct visual theme.
This is less true in DnD, but it also depends on the artist.
In some editions certain races have very strong aestheitcs to them.
I also dont think its gonna happen, but its a possibility.
as for racial archetypes, well, i somehow dont think well get to that.

They have a really big team so I'm not worried about it.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i suspect they also have a bigger team because they aim for higher graphical fidelity, one of my guess is that they stocked up on animators

apprentice
apprentice
CG Human Wizard (generalist)... for sure...

One of my favorite character runs through the BG series was with a NG Half-orc Cleric-Thief. So that one...

Probably TN half elven Fighter-Transmuter...

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Lemernis

One of my favorite character runs through the BG series was with a NG Half-orc Cleric-Thief. So that one...

5e doesn't have generalist wizards.

It has Transmuters, Illusionists, Enchanters, Necromancers, Diviners, Abjurationists, Evokers, Conjurers, Bladesingers, and Warmages in 5e, but no generalists.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by Lemernis

5e doesn't have generalist wizards.

It has Transmuters, Illusionists, Enchanters, Necromancers, Diviners, Abjurationists, Evokers, Conjurers, Bladesingers, and Warmages in 5e, but no generalists.

Ah, thanks. Still haven't read up in any detail, just skimming the SRD and PHB thus far.

enthusiast
enthusiast
There are not opposite schools of magic that are off limit in 5E.

stranger
stranger
Some nice Hydrosophist combo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard