Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello Developers for the upcoming new Baldur's Gate game! You guys rock for doing this! I actually have a request regarding the Protagonist, the legendary Bhaalspawn from the previous games.

It would be neat if Wizards of the Coast will allow this, but it would be so awesome as a easter egg if we could find the Tomb where he is laid to rest in Baldur's Gate City. Yes I'm going by the books and the books are a somewhat different from the games, but the only thing to note from the books is the few key scenes from the final end when Bhaal got resurrected, nothing else matters from the books (so basically tying the Player's versions of the events with the final end from the books). Would be a nice touch to show that the players of Baldur's Gate to find their previous character laid buried and honored as a hero if he didn't choose to become a god and you can find the Sword of Chaos inside his tomb.

OR alternatively if such a idea is not well recieved in this forum, maybe the Duke's Daughter from BG1 and Siege of Dragonspear? If you all played the game then you all know what happened. Reason I suggest this is because we believe BeamDog will not have this plot point resolved, and it would be a good chance for Larian Studios to tie up a very loose end from Siege of Dragonspear.

EDIT:

I forgot one thing, but if you all do end up doing it then it would be cool to hear "The Stage is Set" when you find the tomb from the BG1 OST.

Last edited by Kaliesto; 06/06/19 07:49 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
We should make this a BG3 ideas and requests thread for all.

For me, I want it to have some of the same features that gave NWN1 and NWN2 the longevity they had and still have. Players are still making content for both, despite support ending years ago. What made those two games last as long as they did was the toolset and ability to direct connect to servers via IP address. Meaning that even after the Gamespy matchmaking servers went down people could still do multiplayer. So for me the three main things are as follows:

Toolset
DM mode
Private hosting(direct connect to IP)

Love and sausages xx
stranger
stranger
OMuttley0 I would love to see player made content and a way to make that content. It would be awesome to let DM's to make content and then your friends can log on and play that content.

L
addict
addict
L
And the option of importing content based upon existing tabletop campaigns into the game

stranger
stranger
It would be so awesome to be able to play on a PC platform what we normally have to imagine (theater of the mind) with miniatures and tiles/maps.

Last edited by salobard42; 06/08/19 06:47 AM.
stranger
stranger
The game if done right has potential to change how a lot of folks play D&D

Originally Posted by Kaliesto
Yes I'm going by the books and the books are a somewhat different from the games, but the only thing to note from the books is the few key scenes from the final end when Bhaal got resurrected, nothing else matters from the books (so basically tying the Player's versions of the events with the final end from the books). Would be a nice touch to show that the players of Baldur's Gate to find their previous character laid buried and honored as a hero if he didn't choose to become a god and you can find the Sword of Chaos inside his tomb.

OR alternatively if such a idea is not well recieved in this forum, maybe the Duke's Daughter from BG1 and Siege of Dragonspear? If you all played the game then you all know what happened. Reason I suggest this is because we believe BeamDog will not have this plot point resolved, and it would be a good chance for Larian Studios to tie up a very loose end from Siege of Dragonspear.

EDIT:

I forgot one thing, but if you all do end up doing it then it would be cool to hear "The Stage is Set" when you find the tomb from the BG1 OST.

For the record, the novelizations are abominations, trust me, I've read them, and they don't necessarily need to be considered canon over the games. Not just because they don't do the games justice, but they also seriously flub up the lore of D&D while trying to be considered canon. For example, Angelo, the corrupt Flaming Fist officer, is a Grand Duke in the novels. It is wrong on so many levels to give a D&D character that only appears in a D&D game a high position of power, because Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast never said that there was a member of the Council of Four by the name of Angelo, only Belt, Liia, Entar and Eltan are the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate, and no, you can't shoehorn in a 5th member. Also, Bhaal got resurrected in the Murder in Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure game, which takes place 123 years after the Baldur's Gate games and novels.

I've played Siege of Dragonspear, and I know what you are getting at. But try to look at this from a brand new perspective. In the intro of Shadows of Amn, the narrator makes it clear that the people of Baldur's Gate figured out that the game protagonist is a Bhaalspawn, and also because of "dark circumstances" (which involves Skie Silvershield), the game protagonist is forced to leave Baldur's Gate. But in the novelization, Abdel Adrian got away clean. The book doesn't fill in the gaps between the first Baldur's Gate novel and the Shadows of Amn novel, it doesn't reveal how Abdel was captured, and as far as the people of Baldur's Gate in the novel know, they don't know that Abdel is a Bhaalspawn.

My point is, the game protagonist seems destined to be viewed as a monster regardless of his/her deeds, while Abdel goes on to be seen as a hero, even though he might not deserve to be called one. The reason why I don't consider the game protagonist and Abdel to be the same character is because of how different their backstories are.

Abdel: Abdel was born in 1343 DR, and Gorion did not was not the one who rescued him. Abdel was rescued by a paladin who was a friend of Gorion's named Sir Daesric the Pious. The paladin saved young Abdel from a group of deathstalkers. Though Daesric knew Abdel is a Bhaalspawn, he could not bring himself to kill young Abdel. So he called upon his friend Gorion to raise the child as a monk of Torm and though reluctant, Gorion agreed. Abdel was taken to Gorion's home in the library fortress of Candlekeep, where he was raised as Gorion's own son, and Gorion was unaware of his heritage and nature as a mortal child of Bhaal (EVEN THOUGH HE LEFT A NOTE LIKE IN THE GAME REVEALING TO THE HERO WHAT THEY ARE). The Hands kept watch over Abdel to make sure he showed no signs of evil but when Bhaal was killed, they gave up the effort, and Abdel departed Candlekeep in 1360, 8 years before the Baldur's Gate story to start his life as a "sellsword" or mercenary for hire.

"Gorion's Ward", the game protagonist: According to the first game's beginning cutscene, "Gorion's Ward" has lived in Candlekeep for nearly 20 years of his/her life, which means Gorion's Ward was born in the year 1347 or 1348 alongside Imoen, who was also 20 years old in 1368. Unlike with Abdel, Gorion knew that the game protagonist is a Bhaalspawn, because he personally rescued him/her from a group of cultists who worshiped Bhaal, trying to sacrifice the young Bhaalspawn they had collected, including baby Imoen and young Sarevok. The game protagonist's mother was tasked to sacrifice the children, but before she could sacrifice the infant game protagonist, Gorion slew her and took in the game protagonist and Imoen as his children, leaving young Sarevok behind.

I bet you are wondering where am I getting at? I'm saying that it is possible to see the Baldur's Gate protagonist and Abdel Adrian as two separate characters. Gorion was given Abdel years before the game protagonist and Imoen were born, and then sometime in the late 1340's he personally rescued them, and he raised all three of them up until 1360, the year Abdel got old enough to leave Candlekeep, then in the following years up to 1368, the events of the Baldur's Gate game plays out up to Siege of Dragonspear, the game protagonist becomes a disgraced hero because of Jon Irenicus framing him, then the events of Shadows of Amn play out and then Throne of Bhaal, then sometime later Abdel shows up to Baldur's Gate, and through certain circumstances (possibly being hired for a job that would help him be viewed as a hero), Abdel is written into Baldur's Gate history as the hero of Baldur's Gate who killed Sarevok even though he wasn't involved. History will remember him as a hero whether it is true or not, while the game protagonist lives his/her life alone or with a romance interest without any part of Faerun knowing he/she was an adventurer who deserved to be hailed as a hero.

In other words, there is a way to include Abdel as the "canon" hero of Baldur's Gate without accepting the novels he is in as the canon Baldur's Gate story and accepting the games instead (as long as your version of Gorion's Ward chooses not to ascend to godhood).

Last edited by BladeDancer; 06/08/19 09:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kaliesto
Hello Developers for the upcoming new Baldur's Gate game! You guys rock for doing this! I actually have a request regarding the Protagonist, the legendary Bhaalspawn from the previous games.

It would be neat if Wizards of the Coast will allow this, but it would be so awesome as a easter egg if we could find the Tomb where he is laid to rest in Baldur's Gate City. Yes I'm going by the books and the books are a somewhat different from the games, but the only thing to note from the books is the few key scenes from the final end when Bhaal got resurrected, nothing else matters from the books (so basically tying the Player's versions of the events with the final end from the books). Would be a nice touch to show that the players of Baldur's Gate to find their previous character laid buried and honored as a hero if he didn't choose to become a god and you can find the Sword of Chaos inside his tomb.

EDIT:

I´ve also read the books and it is far better to see those as two different characters ( It was years ago but I still remember how the books messed up badly the lore, the story and the personalities of most of the characters, especially Imoen and Jaheira. And I still cannot forget the luscious red hair of Misc, the flirt imoen-melissan and the death of Xan in the books...).

In the interview in Kotaku´s potcast Swen Vincke, CEO of Larian confirmed that they will use the canon ending of WOTC, not the previous games or the books https://kotaku.com/the-ranger-class-is-getting-some-changes-in-d-d-and-ba-1835659585
And the prequels will be the PA from WotC "Murder in baldur´s gate" and "Descent into avernus".

So the canon end of BG series of WotC diverges from the books (thank god) and the different endings of the game (sadly) . That canon end is that the "Hero of BG" is a human mercenary (Neutral Human fighter) from Candlekeep called Abdel Adrian who chose to forfeit divinity and lived 136 years, becoming a member of the Flaming Fist and later Duke and Marshall of Baldur´s gate around 1384 DR, after the failed coup of Grand Duke Valarken. After the events in "Murder in BG" he died. Despite protests from those in the Lower and Outer City, Abdel had a somber funeral in the Upper City and his body was placed under High Hall, where those who claimed to love him most could not freely visit.

(Duke Abdel Adrian file in "MurderInBG")

[img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...cale-to-width-down/285?cb=20130920165934[/img]
Duke Abdel Adrian
Among Baldurians, Duke Abdel Adrian is universally
considered to be the city’s greatest hero, second only to
Balduran the Brave.
The wizard Gorion raised
Adrian in Candlekeep, but
Adrian, a child of Bhaal,
was swept up in a series of
deadly events orchestrated
by his half-siblings, the
Bhaalspawn. Adrian’s life as
an adventurer became noto
rious when he saved Baldur’s
Gate from the Iron Throne’s
--
machinations and killed his Duke Abdel Adrian
half-brother Sarevok to avert
a war with Amn.
Afterward, Adrian fought countless battles against
people seeking to use his Bhaalspawn blood for
nefarious purposes. Baldurians know little ofthese
adventures, and few people alive today comprehend
the meaning of Adrian’s status as a Bhaalspawn. Most
people believe the God of Murder is long dead and,
if they know anything of Adrian’s story, that their
beloved duke made certain Bhaal remained dead.
Following his adventuring days, Adrian lived for a
time in contemplation in Candlekeep. He eventually
decided to settle in Baldur’s Gate, which had become
his second home.
Adrian joined the Flaming Fist as a private and
quickly ascended through the mercenary company’s
ranks. Lower City citizens respected his courage and
dashing ways, and Outer City residents loved him for his
charitable works. After Valarken killed the Flaming Fist’s
marshal, who was also a duke, Adrian replaced him in
both positions. He originally tried to turn down his ducal
nomination, but public acclaim was too strong, and the
military leader reluctantly accepted the post.
Adrian is more than a century old, and his divine
heritage has kept him well preserved. He appears to
be in his sixties, and his body retains the strength of
youth. At nearly 7 feet in height, Adrian towers over
most Baldurians. Black hair frames his unrelenting eyes
and slightly wizened face. Unlike other dukes, he wears
comfortable, plain garments and shuns jewelry. The
only time he dresses as a state official is for parades.
Adrian rarely speaks at council meetings. But when
he does, his voice for moderation carries tremendous
weight. Most days, Duke Adrian walks the city’s streets,
talking with citizens; helping them in their daily labors;
and offering charity, an encouraging word, or a stern
reprimand as needed. He sometimes seems grim and
lost in thoughts, perhaps of days past, but the Flaming
Fist marshal and Council of Four duke is also known to
break out in great guffaws when the occasion arises

So If you want to visit a tomb, the only one that will probably be in the game is that one.

To be honest, nothing in the story of That Abdel Adrian relates to any characters I played in the BG series, so I think I will also consider them as separate entities like @Bladedancer, even if it is not the case.

Originally Posted by _Vic_
[quote=Kaliesto] In the interview in Kotaku´s potcast Swen Vincke, CEO of Larian confirmed that they will use the canon ending of WOTC, not the previous games or the books https://kotaku.com/the-ranger-class-is-getting-some-changes-in-d-d-and-ba-1835659585
And the prequels will be the PA from WotC "Murder in baldur´s gate" and "Descent into avernus".

Actually Swen Vincke is only talking about the changes to the Ranger class in 5th edition through Baldur's Gate 3, I've read that article before. Nothing about the story or lore is revealed yet.

enthusiast
enthusiast

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BladeDancer
Originally Posted by _Vic_
[quote=Kaliesto] In the interview in Kotaku´s potcast Swen Vincke, CEO of Larian confirmed that they will use the canon ending of WOTC, not the previous games or the books https://kotaku.com/the-ranger-class-is-getting-some-changes-in-d-d-and-ba-1835659585

Actually Swen Vincke is only talking about the changes to the Ranger class in 5th edition through Baldur's Gate 3, I've read that article before. Nothing about the story or lore is revealed yet.

I´ve said the podcast in the article: They`ve said some things about the story and the lore in several interviews. Just check the interview thread.

Ed: That interview was interesting, @Hawke laugh It confirms what Swen and Miles said in the podcast in 24.00: Swen said they "picked the canon WOTC ending of bg2 "

Last edited by _Vic_; 07/08/19 12:01 AM.
Originally Posted by Hawke

That article just enlightens those on why Baldur's Gate 3 does not exactly take place a few years after Baldur's Gate 2. Unsurprisingly to me, I had a feeling that some people who have played the Baldur's Gate games are not familiar with how huge the D&D Forgotten Realms world is just like the Marvel Comics multiverse, the Marvel Cinematic Universe included, that a lot of events told in the form of games, novels and comics has happened in the countless years, decades and centuries before the Baldur's Gate story, and the many years and decades between Baldur's Gate 2 and Baldur's Gate 3, like Neverwinter Nights and its sequel, for example.

Last edited by BladeDancer; 07/08/19 07:02 AM.
I listened to the podcast, by the way, and as I expected, I learned nothing new, to be honest. It's common knowledge that the Murder In Baldur's Gate tabletop game and the Descent Into Avernus tabletop game is relevant to Baldur's Gate 3's lore.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard