Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
old hand
old hand
I think it's a mistake, a misunderstanding as they've made it clear it's unlikely to come out this year.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
I think it's a mistake, a misunderstanding as they've made it clear it's unlikely to come out this year.

Sad.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Not an interview, but a primer on D&D 5E and how it will relate to BG3. Interesting video and article.

https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-iii-5th-edition-dd-abilities-the-d20/

Yea, I think it's clear there will be at least a section of the game spent in Hell.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Here is another article. Interview with Chris Perkins. He talks about Mindflayers. BG3 and Larian Studios are mentioned.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/30/...ble-secrets-of-the-mind-flayer/view-all/

veteran
veteran
About the combat in Bg3, they want to keep it hidden "We want to show the combat, not talk about it"

They stated that they "With respect to the combat system, this is based on D&D, so we’re using their combat system" ( That is not the same as using the combat system of previous games)
https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/larian-developer-interview
but they tweak some things to make D&D a videogame experience. What things? We do not know, but they give us some clues:

Swen Vincke how fully his studio is adapting D&D’s character progression, and he said:

“That’s actually been one of the things that we’ve been struggling with, because it’s a very slow leveling process in the books,”

https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/leveling-system

Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”
https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/leveling-system

There is also another article that confirms the timeline of the games and the sinergy with WotC PA´s of Bg Murder in baldurs gate and the upcoming Descent into Avernus.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/06/...es-place-after-dds-descent-into-avernus/

stranger
stranger
I cannot imagine how you can replicate 5e combat without misses. So many things are built around converting misses to hits and vice versa. Maybe they'll do the PoE thing and put grazes in, but how you then handle additional effects on hit is an issue. You can't have a fractional amount of incapacitation after being hit with a poisoned blade, for example. Unless you just make additional effects not proc on grazes, but at that point, why bother including the grazes at all, just make them misses.

Perhaps they'll have come up with something much cleverer than that though. Some sort of resource you can spend to auto-succeed on an attack roll? That would be an interesting way to handle inspiration, at least.

veteran
veteran
Something like the "edge" points in Torment: Numenera? Maybe.

The old game Arcanum also used something atuned to the "inspiration" mechanics: the fate points. They gave you critical hits, automatic skill checks, etc.

About the "misses" I hope they meant to improve your chances to hit or use the grazes of POE, instead of remove misses entirely. In D&D damage mitigation is rare, so automatic hits seems a weird mechanic to use in that setting.

Last edited by _Vic_; 10/08/19 07:31 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
Larian said missing isn't fun (translating = missing too much increases combat time, often less fun and makes your character feel less able).
If they change hit chance (with other balancing) they could (for E.g.) change a fight that might take 10 rounds only take 5 rounds (without a significant change to win probability).
Or increase hit chance and decrease effect of hit so its the same rounds of combat.
Care needed with Great weapon master/sharpshooter as the increased dmg should be offset by decreased chance to hit.

And 5e is designed with the concept of bounded accuracy. I'm not a 5e expert... What would happen if they just gave all allies and enemies +25% chance to hit?

Originally Posted by CottonWolf
I cannot imagine how you can replicate 5e combat without misses. So many things are built around converting misses to hits and vice versa. Maybe they'll do the PoE thing and put grazes in, but how you then handle additional effects on hit is an issue. You can't have a fractional amount of incapacitation after being hit with a poisoned blade, for example. Unless you just make additional effects not proc on grazes, but at that point, why bother including the grazes at all, just make them misses.

Perhaps they'll have come up with something much cleverer than that though. Some sort of resource you can spend to auto-succeed on an attack roll? That would be an interesting way to handle inspiration, at least.

The statement by Vincke about misses is just a perplexing statement about 2 vastly different scenarios. Or he's not really explaining it clearly. 'Fine on tabletop, but not cool in a video game'... Why is it fine on tabletop? Why is it not fine (cool) in a game? What if he's not talking about the 5e rules at all and merely describing challenges they are having with the graphics engine?

I remember playing IWD and there was a mod used to eliminate any 'extra' attack animations unless they were a hit, in order to make the visuals look cleaner. Hits and misses were still processed behind the scenes, if you enabled the to hit info to be displayed in the info bar.

old hand
old hand
I think the more misses comment could be as simple as a slight adjustment to the game math or adding glancing blows.

LostSoul #654708 12/08/19 08:22 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by LostSoul
Larian said missing isn't fun (translating = missing too much increases combat time, often less fun and makes your character feel less able).
If they change hit chance (with other balancing) they could (for E.g.) change a fight that might take 10 rounds only take 5 rounds (without a significant change to win probability).
Or increase hit chance and decrease effect of hit so its the same rounds of combat.
Care needed with Great weapon master/sharpshooter as the increased dmg should be offset by decreased chance to hit.

And 5e is designed with the concept of bounded accuracy. I'm not a 5e expert... What would happen if they just gave all allies and enemies +25% chance to hit?

The character would be over powered. Combats would end quickly.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
I think the more misses comment could be as simple as a slight adjustment to the game math or adding glancing blows.

It might even be a purely graphical solution. Since D&D armor blocks hits, the animation could show the weapon impacting the shield or glancing off the armor for a "miss".

Last edited by BillyYank; 12/08/19 08:28 PM.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
S
veteran
veteran
S
im with billy yank here.
AC is an abstraciton and can represent anyhting from a blow not penetrating armor, to someone dodging a blow.
Having misses in a more zoomed in combat makes people complain about morrowind style "miss miss miss" combat.

LostSoul #654829 19/08/19 10:21 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by LostSoul

I think it depends.
I think you are describing Baldur's Gate where a 'miss' is a simply boring slash into the air. I would agree with you it's boring if a character did this 10 times in a row.

But this can be fixed, add in some spice and flavour.
Like the others said, a 'miss' can also be the enemy armor shrugging off the weapon. Add some cool sound effects of weapons clashing with armor, and swords clashing with axes, and staves clashing with clubs, then it's no longer boring.
People love cool sound effects, and the sound of battle is what makes the atmosphere in a fight.

veteran
veteran
Missing could be more frustrating in TB, because you lost your action in this turn and you get to see it.

In RT or RTwP? Not so much, because the fight is still on, the other characters are still fighting so you have other things to worry about, and in 6 seconds it is another turn so you are still on.

Last edited by _Vic_; 20/08/19 01:49 AM.
_Vic_ #654886 23/08/19 08:36 PM
stranger
stranger
You cant have rtwp in a multiplayer co op game which will also be on stadia. Which rules out that old system. It also does not sale well. Though popular with older generations it is also niche and why PoE did not sell well. It will definitely not sell to wotc fans and rtwp is not how dnd is actually played. I think most of the players here are more video game fans rather than dnd tt. Which tt is a different exp altogether. Rtwp will def not be a system brought back not because tb is better or anything, but its just simply not dnd, and bg was video game adaptation with dicerolls NOT dnd truly ported to a game as we see in Tt. Tt is turn based. People are just going to have to deal. Tbh i question how many true dnd fans there are here considering they essentially hate the way dnd is played on the table which is not rtwp. I dont mean any offense but these are the most obvious observations that ppl that are fans of nostalgia are missing quite a bit. As a regular dnd player myself i see many things bg fans are missing when they are requesting using an old bg system that in and of itself was not TT.

Last edited by Laith; 23/08/19 08:37 PM.
Laith #654898 24/08/19 03:35 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Laith
You cant have rtwp in a multiplayer co op game which will also be on stadia. Which rules out that old system. It also does not sale well. Though popular with older generations it is also niche and why PoE did not sell well. It will definitely not sell to wotc fans and rtwp is not how dnd is actually played. I think most of the players here are more video game fans rather than dnd tt. Which tt is a different exp altogether. Rtwp will def not be a system brought back not because tb is better or anything, but its just simply not dnd, and bg was video game adaptation with dicerolls NOT dnd truly ported to a game as we see in Tt. Tt is turn based. People are just going to have to deal. Tbh i question how many true dnd fans there are here considering they essentially hate the way dnd is played on the table which is not rtwp. I dont mean any offense but these are the most obvious observations that ppl that are fans of nostalgia are missing quite a bit. As a regular dnd player myself i see many things bg fans are missing when they are requesting using an old bg system that in and of itself was not TT.

Sure. 'Cause you get to decide what is D&D and who is a "true" D&D fan? I've been playing D&D for 30 years. RTwP is the logical way to set up combat. TB combat is for slow people who cannot handle RTwP, which in today's society describes most people which is why developers increasingly use it. It is very much a form of simplifying and dumbing-down games to make them easier to play for the masses.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Sure. 'Cause you get to decide what is D&D and who is a "true" D&D fan?

Oh, other people always get to decide who is the "true fan". I've been dismissed as a casual on multiple occasions by people who were variously a Johnny-come-lately, or whose approach to any situation wasn't so much role-playing as just "kill everything" and who criticised me for taking the time to explore instead of just rushing through it; but you can't win there either because unless you memorise every last word of every piece of text someone else will condemn you as an intellectual lightweight who has no commitment. Curiously, neither group seems to do much in the way of creative modding which is an area that seems to be a lot more accepting of whoever is trying to do whatever it is that they're doing without judgement nor presumptions.

I'd rather just be able to play the way I like, because the point is that it's a pastime, not some intellectual exercise that has the enjoyment potential of sandpapering my own eyeballs. But such a casual approach to gaming seems to upset some people.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Laith

Sure. 'Cause you get to decide what is D&D and who is a "true" D&D fan? I've been playing D&D for 30 years. RTwP is the logical way to set up combat. TB combat is for slow people who cannot handle RTwP, which in today's society describes most people which is why developers increasingly use it. It is very much a form of simplifying and dumbing-down games to make them easier to play for the masses.

Sorry, an urgent message from RPG codex, they are impressed and need you there right now!

Last edited by _Vic_; 24/08/19 09:15 PM.
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard