Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Albeit I agree with the idea of a low-level campaign, I do not think 10 LVL is the adequate limit. I found TOEE and the 10-lvl limit very restrictive. It was better with the "unlimited level" mod. It was tolerable in BG because you already have bg2 to keep playing. Not much higher than lvl 10-15, and that would be the endgame though.

Remember Ulraunt? The leader of Candlekeep? I think he was just a 7th level Mage. :P Lord Nasher Alagondar, the ruler of Neverwinter, is just a 12th level Fighter. In Murder in B; Abdel Adrian (the supposed baalspawn hero of BG) is a lvl 10 fighter.
Even a 3rd level adventurer would already be considered a seasoned veteran, worthy of high pay in a mercenary unit. The leaders of such bands are usually about 5th level, hardened veterans of many campaigns. The Grand Druid, the "ruler" of all the druids in the WORLD, is 14th level (although hierophant druids exist, they typically devote themselves to more global concerns and do not bother with the workings of politics).

As a general rule, any adventurer that's higher than 10th level is already a figure of renown, a household name. Anyone higher than 15th level is a figure of legend, somebody whose deeds bards will sing of for centuries, and anybody 20th level or higher is basically so powerful they start to consort with deities and planar figures on a personal basis.

Most D&Dvideogames rush you through the first levels (In D&D lvl 1-3 characters are very fragile), like in a starter set prior to a campaign, but I hope that is not the case in BG3.

Last edited by _Vic_; 08/09/19 05:42 PM.
_Vic_ #655351 08/09/19 10:24 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by _Vic_

As a general rule, any adventurer that's higher than 10th level is already a figure of renown, a household name. Anyone higher than 15th level is a figure of legend, somebody whose deeds bards will sing of for centuries, and anybody 20th level or higher is basically so powerful they start to consort with deities and planar figures on a personal basis.

Really? That's interesting. In my assassin playthrough of BG2, at the end of ToB my rogue was L41 and other single-class party members were all around L30. lulz.

But then in ToB you do talk to Solars and fight top-rank demons every few hours. You run into a squad of balors and you'd be like so what should we have for dinner.

This sounds like one of those "rules" that are better off mostly ignored. I mean, as long as it's exciting and the balancing is alright, who cares. Well, I guess the hardcore PnP folk care.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
old hand
old hand
At 100 hours I'd be shocked if you can't get to level 20 and then start collecting epic boons.

old hand
old hand
At 100 hours I'd be shocked if you can't get to level 20 and then start collecting epic boons.

veteran
veteran
ED: The limit of XP in the unmodded game series is:

Baldur's Gate with TOSC 161,000 (Roughly level 8-10, the classes in 2e have different XP requirements to level up, even more, the multiclass have half of it )

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear 500,000 (level 10-12 in pure classes, half in multiclass)

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 2,950,000 (level 17-19, but you start with a level 7-12 character)

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal 8,000,000 (The top is level 40 for single-class rogues, monks, clerics, and fighters. It is impossible for other slow-leveling classes or multiclass/dual class.
Even more, you do not reach that level in the OC without using some insane grinding and/or mods)

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Experience_Tables

In nwn2 OC the maximum level is 20, and if you reach it is because the final battles give a lot of XP. You level up two-four times in the last chapter.
In ToEE the level cap is 10, but I think it is too restrictive, and ToEE is a very short game anyway. Knighs of the Chalice and Pool of radiance takes you from level 1 to 19-20 tops. IWD series has no limits but also no epic skills in IWD2 and you can reach it only in HOF, NG+
In P:K you have a limit of LVL 20 too, but in that game, it is a really steep curve from level 12 and beyond. I usually beat the game with a party of level 16-17 tops. You do not reach level 20 without the DLC and usually only solo chars in the final chapter.

I do not think you will reach epic levels until an expansion or the next game in the series, they usually do that.

Last edited by _Vic_; 09/09/19 04:05 AM.
_Vic_ #655359 09/09/19 04:56 AM
old hand
old hand
Oh, right, the level caps. I forgot. Aside from the fact that it's been a very long time, removing level caps from BG1-2 is pretty much a must for anyone who plays the games with any seriousness.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
veteran
veteran
That would be right if the enemies level up with you, in BG series if your characters are too overleveled artificially the game became one-sided. I even use xp-dampeners so I could play all those story and character mods of the trilogy without hampering my game experience.

That said, I am not really a fan of high-level, high-magic, high-loot campaigns, but it is simply my personal preference. It is ok for expansions or DLC that continue the story of the same characters.

Last edited by _Vic_; 09/09/19 05:30 AM.
stranger
stranger
I would like to see the possibility of reaching levels above level 20. If that would mean through an expansion than that would be the way.
They could perhaps chose to level up the character faster through level 1 - 6.

enthusiast
enthusiast
WotC hasn't released any Leveling system to go beyond level 20 yet. Maybe in the future for an expansion. But as it stands now, the official rules only go up to level 20.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
WotC hasn't released any Leveling system to go beyond level 20 yet. Maybe in the future for an expansion. But as it stands now, the official rules only go up to level 20.

So BG3 can't have epic levels, yay! birthdayjump

Last edited by Hawke; 09/09/19 07:25 PM.
Hawke #655405 10/09/19 08:15 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hawke
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special

So BG3 can't have epic levels, yay! birthdayjump

You still get epic boons when you would have otherwise leveled up and you still gain gold and downtime days.

enthusiast
enthusiast
But I was answering the question that person wanted to reach levels beyond level 20. Which you can't as it is now.

stranger
stranger
Perhaps they could implement bonus spells and feats above level 20 and diverge from the official 5th edition rules. I really enjoyed the high level spells in BG2.
Not that it is the most important, it just gave some extra flavour and leveling up above level 20 gives you more room for extra story content.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard