Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 95 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 94 95
old hand
old hand
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gaming...on-in-revenue-according-to-superdata/amp

DOS2 made 85 million dollars and that was without the huge brand recognition that D&D 5e, Baldur's Gate, and the Forgotten Realms has. It was a turn based.

Also Larian used Kickstarter to allow themselves to self publish so they could make the game they wanted, which was a turn based game, unlike many if the preDOS1&2 games where they could only get funding for none turn based games. So it's not just money it's a personal preference thing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

DOS2 made 85 million dollars and that was without the huge brand recognition that D&D 5e, Baldur's Gate, and the Forgotten Realms has. It was a turn based.

Also Larian used Kickstarter to allow themselves to self publish so they could make the game they wanted, which was a turn based game, unlike many if the preDOS1&2 games where they could only get funding for none turn based games. So it's not just money it's a personal preference thing.

Swen denied that long ago! source: https://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-tops-premium-pc-digital-market-with-714-million-in-2017/

"If only that were true," he said. "I don’t know where they got that data but we’re currently at 1.3M units, so even if you disregard VAT, the cut Steam and GOG take, and the price differences per country (i.e. you assume we sell the game at $45 everywhere), you still don’t get to $85 million. My faith in Superdata numbers received a big blow today. But that doesn’t take away that we’re still super happy about so many people picking up D:OS 2."

Superdata explained the discrepancy in a follow-up statement saying that its estimates are "based on partnerships with publishers, developers and payment providers," which enable the creation of "bottom-up algorithms for individual games based on the point of sale tracking data of over 160 million paying customers."

"Occasionally we see differences in definitions and recognition for revenue—for example, when people are reporting gross vs net revenue (SuperData is always gross), deferred revenue, non-GAAP accounting practices, and other allocations which may show different figures depending on the source. For compliance reasons, we also don't typically comment on feedback from private companies—who may be motivated by investor concerns—outside of a formal data relationship," a rep said. "However, Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a breakout success in 2017—commercially and critically—and we congratulate Larian."

Last edited by Hawke; 10/09/19 10:19 AM.
old hand
old hand
Well that is disappointing. But it was enough that they could hire a shit load more people to do BG3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hawke

Swen denied that long ago! source: https://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-tops-premium-pc-digital-market-with-714-million-in-2017/

"If only that were true," he said. "I don’t know where they got that data but we’re currently at 1.3M units, so even if you disregard VAT, the cut Steam and GOG take, and the price differences per country (i.e. you assume we sell the game at $45 everywhere), you still don’t get to $85 million. My faith in Superdata numbers received a big blow today. But that doesn’t take away that we’re still super happy about so many people picking up D:OS 2."

Superdata explained the discrepancy in a follow-up statement saying that its estimates are "based on partnerships with publishers, developers and payment providers," which enable the creation of "bottom-up algorithms for individual games based on the point of sale tracking data of over 160 million paying customers."

"Occasionally we see differences in definitions and recognition for revenue—for example, when people are reporting gross vs net revenue (SuperData is always gross), deferred revenue, non-GAAP accounting practices, and other allocations which may show different figures depending on the source. For compliance reasons, we also don't typically comment on feedback from private companies—who may be motivated by investor concerns—outside of a formal data relationship," a rep said. "However, Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a breakout success in 2017—commercially and critically—and we congratulate Larian."

THANK YOU @Hawke!!! Some people like to talk about D:OS2 as though it's the coming of the messiah. Even if we assume sales now are about 2M, which is quite generous, (a) the old BG games made 20 years ago have put up similar numbers, and (b) that's nothing compared with major AAA RPG titles. And making a AAA game is what Larian is aspiring to with BG3. If they believe making the game TB is all it will take to make the game a AAA-level success, because that's the line a handful of TB fanatics on this or other forums are frantically pushing, they're in for a rude shock.

For me, my calculation on whether the game is something I will buy is very simple. If as expected the game is TB, that's a huge strike against it but not an absolute one. Given that TB combat is 'want to drive an icepick through my brain' boring for me, I would ask myself: If I could magically remove all the (boring and horrible) combat from the game, is what is left of the game worth my money and especially my time to want to play? Combat, even under the best of circumsances, is my least liked part of an RPG. It's all the things that happen outside of combat in the game that are interesting to me and which motivate me to want to play the game. So it is possible, even if difficult to accomplish, that a game could have horrible combat (from my pov) but still be attractive to me because (a) combat is only a small part of the game and not the majority of the game; and (b) the outside of combat parts of the game are absolutely fantastic.

old hand
old hand
I wish Larian would just answer the question of is it turn based or RtWP, silent treatment is starting to get old.

veteran
veteran
Come on! We all already know it is going to be TB, don't we?

veteran
veteran
No news from Larian for a while, about combat or otherwise. In gamescon they only presented the DoS2 port for nintendo switch -groan- Not even Divinity FH.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by _Vic_
No news from Larian for a while, about combat or otherwise. In gamescon they only presented the DoS2 port for nintendo switch -groan- Not even Divinity FH.
Anyone who was at PAX West could at least play a demo
Off screen Fallen heroes footage from PAX West https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpeKeSE10c

Last edited by Hawke; 11/09/19 02:17 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
man watching this guy play is painfull

enthusiast
enthusiast
I found this TTRPG that two Larian employees participated in at Gamescon. It was the Murder in Baldur's Gate adventure. But Yeah the silences is tormenting. I have seen people talking about other games on these forums that are supposed to release after this game and have more information then BG3

Looks like someone else posted about this video. Didn't see until I got down to that tread.
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=655437&gonew=1#UNREAD

Last edited by Nobody_Special; 11/09/19 05:47 PM.
Originally Posted by korotama
I wish my old system could run Dragon Quest XI. It looks like a great little romp. As stated a few pages back, I could bear with turn-based combat if the camera shots were as dynamic and diverse as this: https://youtu.be/-7FyEJQJUVA?t=53

Oh, man... if BG3 ends up being that... (and basically, that's what TB is to millions of BG fans)... lol

veteran
veteran
I do not think that BG3 would look like that, mostly because in Dragon quest you cannot move in the battlefield. For BG3 they promised environment interactions, a combat based in D&D5e rules, etc.
ED: The previous DoS games had isometric 3D view, and they said they are going to use the DOS Larian game engine 4.0 to make BG3 so I do not think they took a step behind. https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-3-interview-with-larian-and-wizards-of-the-coast/

I like the Dragon Quest game series very much, but If you want a more dinamic TB combat I will take the example of "Battle chasers: nightwar" or "The Last Remnant" or some other titles, like grandia or "tales of" series.
You have camera changes, taunts in battle, cool battle music, reactions in the enemy´s turn, etc. Makes a more enjoyable experience.

Last edited by _Vic_; 12/09/19 06:58 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I do not think that BG3 would look like that, mostly because in Dragon quest you cannot move in the battlefield. For BG3 they promised environment interactions, a combat based in D&D5e rules, etc.

I like the Dragon Quest game series very much, but If you want a more dinamic TB combat I will take the example of "Battle chasers: nightwar" or "The Last Remnant" or some other titles, like grandia or "tales of" series.
You have camera changes, taunts in battle, cool battle music, reactions in the enemy´s turn, etc. Makes a more enjoyable experience.

Yeah I actually mentioned Battlechasers as a vivid example of intense TB combat a couple pages back but The Last Remnant takes the cake hands down. Played that one too. Heck, if BG3 is going to be Mad Max in Hell, will the soundtrack also contain rock and metal? Tiny nuts and bolts can make all the difference after all especially when it comes to repetitiveness.

veteran
veteran
I sure hope that it does. I heard "Last Remnant" battle and boss themes dozens of times and still makes my heart race. Or Undertale´s, Castlevania SOTN, Grandia 2, etc

ED: They even used a "Bloody Tears" theme version in the "Castlevania" series in Netflix, and it was awesome. Not guitar-themed like the original, but still... the feels, man the feels laugh

Last edited by _Vic_; 12/09/19 07:41 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm a big fan of SOTN's original soundtrack for that matter. Here's a nice arrangement of the boss theme:

Last edited by korotama; 12/09/19 07:24 AM.
........You have camera changes, taunts in battle, cool battle music, reactions in the enemy´s turn, etc. Makes a more enjoyable experience.

Not in my opinion...

old hand
old hand
Dark Envoy is going Turned based Combat as well.

veteran
veteran
Dark Envoy is going Turned based Combat as well.

RT exploration, TB combat and Coop Mp (and a mode 1 vs 1 when one of the players is the final boss ¿?). Another one, like Realms Beyond (Based on Open D&D 3.5 and already funded), Solasta (D&D 5e) , Wasteland 3, Dark crystal Tactics, Phoenix point, etc. Looks like it´s trending right now.

Black geyser is still RTwP, tho. I do not think they are going to change it now.

Originally Posted by Artagel
Originally Posted by Tuco
Man, since the confirmation that this title even existed it's almost baffling how stingy of any real information Larian has been.
They went through E3, Gamescom and PAX with literally nothing to show or confirm about its structure, making their public apparitions rather awkward for how pointless and inconstant they felt.

It makes almost the impression that the reveal itself was some sort of premature ejaculation and they have very little to say about it in the first place.

Pretty simple... They saw how many fans didn't want TB, realized they did not want to lose thousands of pre-order sales, and are now scrambling to add RTwP.

Or.... they could have read this forum and realized the exact opposite, and are currently adding a TB mode to make more people happy.

It is not only in this forum, tho. I was surprised by the polls in the forums I know. Its 50-50% in most of them. I never thought that a thing like that will be cause a debate. I thought the lore and the story will be more controversial. Maybe it is because Swen Vincke and company do not gave much information.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...te-3-was-turn-based-or-real-time.128016/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/1639788130267067237/?ctp=2
https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOr...bg3_turn_based_vs_real_time_with_pause/r
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26593
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ased-action-place-your-bet.128044/page-3
https://www.enworld.org/threads/should-baldurs-gate-3-be-turnbased-or-real-time-with-pause.660574/

I think in the end, no matter what combat they chose, someone is going to make a mod with the opposite combat type like they did in P:K. XD

Last edited by _Vic_; 14/09/19 07:01 PM.
I think in the end, no matter what combat they chose, someone is going to make a mod with the opposite combat type like they did in P:K. XD

Sure. Meanwhile they lose out on 50% of PC sales until well after that mod is released, if it's released, and if it is, Larian better hope it's well made or people will return the game.

Not exactly an inspiring tactic to present to WOTC...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Artagel

Sure. Meanwhile they lose out on 50% of PC sales until well after that mod is released, if it's released, and if it is, Larian better hope it's well made or people will return the game.

Not exactly an inspiring tactic to present to WOTC...

So let me get this straight you belive that Divinity Original Sin 2 which sold more than 2.5 million copies would have sold more than 5million with an optional RTWP mode? Because I really doubt that.

Page 13 of 95 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard