Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yuga Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Good day, everyone.

I recently came in possession of a GOG version of the game, and I would like to move my saves to it.

Unfortunately, copy-pasting them makes DD freeze at loading.
I narrowed down the problem at the data.000 file, which appears to be bigger in the GOG version.

Injecting the old save into the new one makes the game load: I get my map, quest status and inventory, but my location reverts to Joram's basement and so do my levels, experience and so on.

Does anybody have any hint in regards to what to patch in GOG's savegame to make it equivalent to the retail one?

Thanks in advance.

Support
Support

I thought it was just the inventory files which caused problems with the download version.
Unfortunately, the data.000 file contains all of the character and NPC data, as well as some quest information. It can't really be swapped between different playthroughs.

Unless you want to play at a higher and/or widescreen resolution, I'd recommend continuing with the disk version.
You can manually set the resolution to run at higher than officially supported resolutions by editing the config.div file in the main Divine Divinity install folder. The game itself should be fine, but opening the map/journal can cause a crash, the frequency of which is both system and resolution dependent (with my old computer I could bump up the resolution a notch with almost no crashing, but the problem was that it was so rare I would keep forgetting to save before opening the map, so I dropped it back down).

Yuga Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Many thanks for your insight. I once tried to manually change the retail copy's resolution, but the static resources were not aligned, and opening the map crashed the game.

I decided to start over, which enables me to correct some strategically bad decisions stat-wise. Still, I wonder what changed between the two versions.

Support
Support

The download version added higher resolution and widescreen support.
However, due to multiple issue with code backups, some of the changes in the later disk version patches were lost. Mainly, Finnigan is not a good trader and will not sell you back his magic lockpicks if you complete the quest to retrieve them, and the lockpicks will disappear if dropped directly on the ground (not that you'd ever want to drop them), and a couple of rare bugs are slightly less rare, and probably a couple of other things I don't recall specifically.
Resurrected creatures die in the download version, rather than turn hostile, when the character gets too far away, so that can not be used to farm XP or loot.

Yuga Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I did find an interesting way to steal from right under someone's nose.

While I doubt that I'm the first to have seen it, let me know if you are interested.

Support
Support

Does it involve placing items in an open container in your inventory? If so, make sure you are alone when you empty the container, as it will be considered stealing then.
Also, there is a potential issue with doing this that can destroy items: weight bug and disappearing chests (the screenshot links are broken)

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard