Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#655621 19/09/19 04:40 AM
Ottish Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I heard that the game is gonna suck, and my friend has seen some art and animation shared from a dev that looks pretty bad. I haven't seen the art myself, but I really want BG3 to be good, so my question is is the game in danger of failing hard?

Ottish #655623 19/09/19 06:45 AM
old hand
old hand
*Just in case* this is not a troll post...

Theoretically speaking, your question can only be properly answered by someone who's actually working on the job, who has a good idea just exactly how *challenging* their task is, and how good their team is for said task. But of course, that person would never say Yes to your question.

Some who have a lot of faith in Larian will say "no matter what they will make an excellent game". I guess they will answer your question with No.

Others will probably say "I don't know", or something lengthier but with the same implication. Larian is a good team, definitely. They have proved themselves with their DOS games. But, they have never made a *Baldur's Gate* game. To make a game that meet ALL the expectations, a game truly worthy of the title BG3, a game that can please the dozen different groups of fans looking forward to this game, is a very EXTREMELY challenging task. There is plenty of room to "fail hard", but then it also depends on the team.

What I think? This game will be either very, VERY good, or bad. Either a 10, or a 7. Give or take. It won't be an 8.0 and it won't be a 9.0.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Ottish #655625 19/09/19 06:54 AM
S
veteran
veteran
S
my dad works at nintendo

Ottish Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
No, I do not make it out of a means to troll. I seriously don't want the game to be bad. I have qualms because the friend of mine who had the information leaked to them, and saw an animation as far back as 2018, says that it "looks like a mobile game." Just his opinion, but it makes me wonder if this is going to be a command and conquer situation, y'know?

Additionally, same person also tells me back in june, the devs fought with the vfx department about how they thought everything looked shitty.

Ottish #655678 21/09/19 12:50 AM
veteran
veteran
I am more worried about how it plays than how it looks ( Knights of the chalice is a great D&D game despite the 8bit-like graphics) but if it is fiable thx for the info.

Ottish #655685 21/09/19 06:05 AM
old hand
old hand
Do DOS1 and DOS2 look like a mobile game to you? If BG3 will "look like a mobile game", then that's because the team wants it to look that way. You either like it or don't. Early builds of DAO looked like NWN, which came out in 2002.

I don't know how "THEY thought something looked shitty" would imply anything about whether it actually IS, or WILL BE, "shitty" or not. To me getting anything lower than an A in a math exam back in college was shitty.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Ottish #655720 22/09/19 05:57 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Also, if these alleged animations were from 2018, they may have just been concept art, which is often rendered in much lower fidelity than the finished product.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
Originally Posted by BillyYank
Also, if these alleged animations were from 2018, they may have just been concept art, which is often rendered in much lower fidelity than the finished product.

Like that picture in the other thread?

Ottish #655755 24/09/19 08:19 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
The oldest pictures I know are those https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ssion-thread.101891/page-11#post-5697531
Those have to be from BG3.

Last edited by Hawke; 24/09/19 08:22 AM.
Ottish #655757 24/09/19 09:14 AM
veteran
veteran
Bg3 is the only game Larian is making as far as I know (Divinity FH is made by another studio) so that could possibly be BG3. Looks nice enough.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard