Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Waltc
So what's the attraction to computer gaming on a Linux distribution?

As the video above suggests, because it's not Windows laugh Seriously, that sums it up perfectly. There are multitude of reasons no to use Windows. The main reason IMHO is not even the price like @vometia suggested above (though Windows tax is irritating for sure), but simply lack of trust to MS in regards to privacy, security and etc. Who wants to run MS backdoors on their computers? I sure don't. Running blob operating systems today is simply a bad idea.

Last edited by shmerl; 08/07/19 12:54 AM.
S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by vometia
That's an interesting point. From my perspective one of the main arguments for Windows continuation as the PC gaming platform is backwards compatibility with older games, but if Linux is beginning to eclipse it in that regard it's lost one of its biggest bargaining chips. I think game devs really need to start moving away from DirectX-only support, though I dare say many of those decisions are inflicted on them by publishers after getting a cosy deal with MS...

It's actually been like that for a while already. I.e. Linux+Wine being able to run older Windows games better than latest Windows can.

And regarding developers. Vulkan really started moving things forward, and now with Stadia more developers will get familiar with it. So that will further erode DirectX-only mindset.

Last edited by shmerl; 08/07/19 01:36 AM.
stranger
stranger
Porting from Stadia to desktop Linux is not as straight forward as some have stated here.

First of all, Stadia will be more like consoles in that it will have standardised libraries, conventions, and hardware to program towards.
A linux distro on the other hand does not, with some few exceptions which don't really matter because pretty much everyone are using either an Ubuntu-derivative, Arch-derivative, or Fedora.

This usually isn't a problem, but it *is* increased complexity a studio might not bother with.

Second, Stadia will not have a desktop environment with all the pitfalls that comes with. Input handling, focus handling and so on is not going to be a thing with Stadia (because it'll all be standardised here as well), whereas with Desktop Linux you have a bunch of different cases. X vs Wayland, Gnome vs Unity vs XFCE etc.

Again this doesn't have to be a major issue but it is another reason for studios to not bother.

----------------

I'm holding out hope they'll work with the Proton team to offer a great Proton solution which already sees phenomenal performance with some titles.
Steam's Proton team will most certainly be interested in it, and it'll reduce development hours for Larian significantly compared to a (Desktop) Linux port.

----------------

Another alternative is developing an open source Stadia shim for Desktop Linux, as in it translates input and output to and from the desktop environment (and display server) which ultimately will result in close to zero performance loss.

stranger
stranger
I believe I heard Sven (or somebody) say "will not be released on Linux.", and I think they dropped Mac too.

Ah yes ... go look in Steam client - it shows Windows support only. Theoretically they just glitched adding mac or Linux but I doubt it, sorry folks.

Last edited by BlobbyBlob; 28/07/19 05:11 PM.
S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by BlobbyBlob
I believe I heard Sven (or somebody) say "will not be released on Linux.", and I think they dropped Mac too.

Can you link to the source please? Would be pretty sad if they'll release for Stadia and not release for desktop Linux after that.

Last edited by shmerl; 30/07/19 02:49 AM.
S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by The_Kris
Porting from Stadia to desktop Linux is not as straight forward as some have stated here.

All of those issues you mentioned are pretty trivial to solve. So it is a lot easier than making a Windows version work on Linux. Besides, if they are not going to use a custom engine, and will go with something like Unreal (is there any info on that actually?), then Linux support will be provided by the engine to begin with.

I'm holding out hope they'll work with the Proton team to offer a great Proton solution which already sees phenomenal performance with some titles.

Wine is an option, but for game that already plans Stadia release, requiring to use Wine to run it on Linux is quite a sour result. I'd call such cases Vinegar wink

Another alternative is developing an open source Stadia shim for Desktop Linux, as in it translates input and output to and from the desktop environment (and display server) which ultimately will result in close to zero performance loss.

That's something I mentioned as well. Google probably won't be Linux gaming friendly enough to implement such shim themselves, but someone else can, for example making SDL plugin that translates Stadia SDK input code into SDL proper. That should even further reduce the effort of making a desktop Linux release from a Stadia one.

Last edited by shmerl; 30/07/19 02:50 AM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by shmerl
(is there any info on that actually?)

It will use version 4 of the Divinity Engine (D:OS 2 was 3.0 for Classic, 3.6 for the Definitive Edition).

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Raze
(is there any info on that actually?)

It will use version 4 of the Divinity Engine (D:OS 2 was 3.0 for Classic, 3.6 for the Definitive Edition).

Good to know, thanks! So you are obviously working on adding Vulkan support to it, for Stadia release? That should be the bulk of the difficulties for making it work on desktop Linux already.

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
How is the progress of the Linux/Vulkan version for Stadia going? Any updates on the possibility of releasing it for desktop Linux proper?

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Any updates on desktop Linux support due to planned Stadia work, or no new info about that?

Last edited by shmerl; 14/01/20 05:07 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Any updates on desktop Linux support due to planned Stadia work, or no new info about that?

#
We haven't gotten any news about the game in months and you ask about a version for an operating system no one uses?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Hawke

We haven't gotten any news about the game in months and you ask about a version for an operating system no one uses?

Please don't make pointlessly inflammatory remarks.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia

Please don't make pointlessly inflammatory remarks.

How is stating facts inflammatory?

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S

#

Your remark is indeed most likely flaming, but if you don't understand how, I'll clarify.

1. I didn't follow any news on the game lately, so how would I know that "We haven't gotten any news about the game in months"? Assume that the fact that I'm asking, means that I don't know. This alone should have prevented you from making your remark already. If you want to convey the fact that there were no news in months altogether, just say so, without expecting everyone to know that.

2. Linux is used by many gamers today, so your remark can be seen as ignorant in the best case, and as trolling in the worst.

Last edited by shmerl; 14/01/20 10:55 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

#

Your remark is indeed most likely flaming, but if you don't understand how, I'll clarify.

1. I didn't follow any news on the game lately, so how would I know that "We haven't gotten any news about the game in months"? Assume that the fact that I'm asking, means that I don't know. This alone should have prevented you from making your remark already. If you want to convey the fact that there were no news in months altogether, just say so, without expecting everyone to know that.

2. Linux is used by many gamers today, so your remark can be seen as ignorant in the best case, and as trolling in the worst.

Okay, maybe I should have said that in a nicer manner sorry for that.
I

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
No problem.

Going back to the topic. Do Larian plan to give any updates, or nothing until release?

Last edited by shmerl; 16/01/20 04:20 AM.
Support
Support

There will be updates before release.

stranger
stranger
+1 for a Linux version

S
shmerl Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Example when Stadia release enabled regular desktop Linux release:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...eep-silver-say-its-coming-to-linux.16001

Hopefully you also can do the same.

stranger
stranger
I loved the DOS. I bought the DOS2 on GOG but could not make it play with crash on Linux. I'm Glad that Larian drop the DOS2 on the switch, so I finally play it. I will buy the BG3 on GoG not matter if don't drop to Linux, But I just hope Larian consider us Linux gamers. We do like your games.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard