OP Offline
old hand
In order of likelyhood.

1. Humans
2. Elves
3. Dwarves
4. Halflings
5. Half Elves
(Okay Solasta will have these races, that is the superbase minimum, so I expect BG will at minimum have all PHB races and subraces).
6. Gnomes
7. Half Orcs
8. Tieflings
9. Dragonborn
(These are all extremely likely to be in IMHO, I will be shock if any PHB race is left out given their much larger budget then Solasta)
10. Gith (given the Mind Flayers, Gith seems very likely)
11. Aasimar (one of the other major Planetouched races and nearly a core race for FR)
12. Genasi (the last of the major Planetouched races, and a major FR race, especially since 4e).
13. Goliaths (because I suspect a fameous critical role Goliath character will make an appearance)
14. Goblins (they have in reprinted in no less then 3 5e books so far as a playable race, VGTM, GMGtR, and ERftLW, WotCis really pushing them in 5e)
15. Lizardfolk/Tortles (mentioned in BG: DiA as living in BG, plus Larian like Lizard people, and I decided Tortles as just as likely)
(From 10 to 15 have a good shot at being in))
16. Hobgoblins (The Chill is near by)
17. Bugbears (if Goblins and Hobgoblins are in, Bugbears might not be far behind)
18. Yaun Ti Pureblood (they appeared in a video game before as a playable race, NWN2 Storm of Zehir)
19. Firbolgs (they live in the high forest)
20. Tabaxi (because people love cats)
21. Tritons (because they are cool, I personally like them more then many more likely to be in races, but I am doubtful they make it in outside of a expansion)
22. Kobolds
(From 16 to 22 have a fair shot at getting in, but this realy pushing it, I really doubt that 23 to 29 will be in)
23. Kenku (horrible mechanics, but a cool rave fluff wise).
24. Orcs (again, not great mechanics)
25. Aacrokra (flying from first level, very unlikely)
26. Shifters (4e added them to FR in a major way)
27. Loxodons (called Loxo in FR)
28. Minotaurs
28. Centaurs (four legs might cause some issues)
29. Changelings, Locathoth, Warforged, Kalahtar, Veldkyn, (I would be extremely shocked if any of these make it in).

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 21/11/19 03:57 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
i wouldnt relay be holding my breath about anyhting that isnt in BG 1 and 2.
This is larian so we might get soem more variety, but i think anyhitng not in PHB is a definitive out.
You might have a point about Goliath, i mostly play 4E so i forgot that Goliaths arent a core race (which thy also werent in 4E but they got added with th esame book as Half orcs were so they might aswell be)
as for Goblins, goblins are, funly enaugh, not very iconic in DnD, they are in many other fantasy settigns such as Warcraft or the DnD spinoff pathfinder, but in DnD Goblins generaly are always a bit underwhelming, with the spot they take in other settings usualyl beeing reserved for Kobolds.
Lizardfolk are probably gonna be there, but im expecting them to work like they did in NWN2, theyll likeley have a different skeleton from the player races, they are a classic low level enemy so theyll use thos emodels.

Yuan ti pureblood are a player race but also regarded to be vastly overpowered and while they were in Storm of Zehir, they are the least "Player friendly" of the races , since their morality is realy weird to non existant.

Of all the non PHB races i can maybe see Goliaths and Firbolg (the latter because they appear to be oddly popular) beeing in.
Of the more monsterous races i think Lizardfolk and Kobolds have the biggest shot, Lizardfolk because they and dragonborn are essentialy itnerchangeable for most people and the latter have non godawful stats, Kobolds because they, again, are oddly popular with furries.

I wouldnt count on Gith, They are connected to mindflayers but i personally think Gith are a poor choice for low level campaigns.
If your character starts at level 1 and its not planescape or spelljammer, chacnes are youre not playing a gith

as for dragonborn: ive like to point out that its been two editions since these guys were made a core race an so far theyve never appeared in a DnD based vidoe game at release (not counting the facebook one) and the only two games that had them at all were the MMOs that added em years later with a hefty price tag

I absoluteley expect tieflings to be in, theyve been a staple ever since NWN1 and i wouldnt be surprised abotu Drow since they are a core race now and a staple of edgelords in almost every campaign featuring edgelrods

Last edited by Sordak; 21/11/19 09:18 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
For the other playable races:
Asimar have a good chance of being playable since they require no work
Genasi: also throw away race

The race I want to see:
Yaun Ti Pureblood: I know it's unrealistic but I love playing them in D&D, they are even relatively easy to implement and we know they aren't rare along the Sword Coast.

Races that must be purged and any trace of them should be removed from books:
Gnomes: they are the single most annoying thing about DND, burn them all! No one likes them no one plays them there is no reason for them to be in the game or in DND at all.
Dragonborn: Dragons without horns or a tail are a joke! FIX THIS ASAP!

Last edited by Hawke; 21/11/19 12:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
It'd be nice to see a wide variety of races for sure. There's some considerations and limitations to take into account though. For each playable race, you need a whole new set of armor designs (not only per race, but also by class fantasy design), rigging, 3d-models, etc. Producing those costs money, and time. So I feel like it's safe to expect strong chances for some of the traditional races, but anything beyond that is probably only really plausible if they fit the game's story. As a completely hypothetical example, if there's no Lizardfolk in the campaign as NPCs, I think it's a low to zero chance that'll be a playable race. Though extending the amount of races can possibly be cheaply increased somewhat if you have two similar races that shares a similar enough body type to share the same body rig and where only their heads would need replacements.

There's one thing I know for sure: If modding is supported, Mindflayer will be a playable race one way or another 8)

Last edited by The Composer; 21/11/19 01:22 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
actually i think lizardfolk as enemy NPCs lowers their chance of beeing a PC race if other DnD based games are an indication.
If a creature has an established model that doesnt fit the armor designs for the generic races it wont be made playable outside of mods.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Lizardfolk Pc makes no sense every townguard would immidiately attack you and you would certainly have no chance to get into Baldurs Gate itself.

Last edited by Hawke; 21/11/19 01:59 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Hawke
Lizardfolk Pc makes no sense every townguard would immidiately attack you and you would certainly have no chance to get into Baldurs Gate itself.

You really need to buy Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus if only for the Baldur's Gate Gazette inside. It straight up mentions Lizardfolk are living in Baldur's Gate, and in Volo's Guide to Monsters Lizardfolk aren't concidered a monster race, unlike Gobliniods, Orcs, Yaun Ti Pure Blood, Kobolds which while playable are concidered monster races. Most Lizardfolk society is on its own neutral and not evil. In fact as long as one is not disruptive, monster races and fiend worshipping cults are tolerated, especially in the Outer districts (Baldur's Gate is very Lawful Neutral, almost leaning towards Lawful Evil behind closed doors). Heck even the Drow operate openly in cities along the Swordcoast. Both the Spellplague, the Sundering, and other events shook society enough that xenophobia in most places is less stabby and more social, outside of really extreme cases.

Plus doing deals with various tribes is not unheard of. Until rescently they even traded with the Orc nation of Many Arrows.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Interesting, but still Lizardfolk are still strange so Larian would be forced to rewrite large portions of dialogue because of their reptile nature, which would still be too much work for such an unpopular race.

In the end, I prefer fewer races but I want to consequences for choosing the race instead of having 20 race that only affect stats and visuals.

Last edited by Hawke; 22/11/19 02:22 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I would guess personally all classic races, i.e. Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Halfling and Gnome, as well as their subraces. Plus Half-orc, Tiefling/Aasimar, Genasi. And maybe Dragonborn and Goliath at later stage (potentially an expansion) if we are lucky.

Anything beyond that really exceeds what is needed for a DnD CRPG in my opinion. Also, what is the point of having many playable races, if NPCs don't regard you any different than they would a human? Personally that sort of thing I find really hacky. I love it when you actually get a different reactions and experiences from NPCs and the story simply by your choice of either race, class or attributes. That sort attention to detail in a game does kind help give you the illusion that you are participating in your own story, which is definitely a major plus in a CRPG.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Since Swen said they took the PHB and converted it to the Computer Game. I expect the 9 Races and their subclass in the PHB to be in the Game. As well as the 12 classes and subclasses that are in the PHB. Anything else is a bonus. smile

S
veteran
veteran
S
>Every town guard would immediatly attack you
oh you are one of THOSE DMs...

Id like to point out that there is an entire book series about a protagonist from a race thats literaly Chaotic evil, unlike lizardmen who are mostly neutral.

>I prefer fewer races with more impact
well, the problem here is were talking about DND.
So we gotta ahve at least 6 races who have no impact whatsoever before we can start getting to those races that would even have an impact, and then you get to "Half Orc" in which the consequence is "People think youre a buffoon and a literal bastard"

i think making races matter worked pretty well in divinity, but in divinity that was part of the point. In DnD the large majority of player races are Humans with a different hat. Out of the PHB races the only ones that realy stick out in terms of behaviour are the Drow and in FR the Dragonborn due to beeing ahteists

Last edited by Sordak; 22/11/19 08:40 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by deserk
I would guess personally all classic races, i.e. Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Halfling and Gnome, as well as their subraces. Plus Half-orc, Tiefling/Aasimar, Genasi. And maybe Dragonborn and Goliath at later stage (potentially an expansion) if we are lucky.

Anything beyond that really exceeds what is needed for a DnD CRPG in my opinion. Also, what is the point of having many playable races, if NPCs don't regard you any different than they would a human? Personally that sort of thing I find really hacky. I love it when you actually get a different reactions and experiences from NPCs and the story simply by your choice of either race, class or attributes. That sort attention to detail in a game does kind help give you the illusion that you are participating in your own story, which is definitely a major plus in a CRPG.

Dragonborn will definitely be in it right away, it's a core PHB race.

And has no one been paying attention to what Sven has been saying in interviews, things like race and class will matter, along with many, many other things. I mean I don't expect every interaction to invovle their race and class, but enough that they will matter.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
>Every town guard would immediatly attack you
oh you are one of THOSE DMs...

Id like to point out that there is an entire book series about a protagonist from a race thats literaly Chaotic evil, unlike lizardmen who are mostly neutral.

>I prefer fewer races with more impact
well, the problem here is were talking about DND.
So we gotta ahve at least 6 races who have no impact whatsoever before we can start getting to those races that would even have an impact, and then you get to "Half Orc" in which the consequence is "People think youre a buffoon and a literal bastard"

i think making races matter worked pretty well in divinity, but in divinity that was part of the point. In DnD the large majority of player races are Humans with a different hat. Out of the PHB races the only ones that realy stick out in terms of behaviour are the Drow and in FR the Dragonborn due to beeing ahteists

It's a little more complicated then that. Dragonborn aren't athiests usually, it's more they are very distrustful of outside, authority figures, including Gods, and they don't like being servile to anyone, not even a God, so a God has to earm their trust before being excepted and treat the Dragonborn with respect. Enlil was willing to do this. I think Bahumet aka Marduk and Torm might be willing too to a lesser degree.

Tieflings are different too, partly because of discrimination.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Interesting, but still Lizardfolk are still strange so Larian would be forced to rewrite large portions of dialogue because of their reptile nature, which would still be too much work for such an unpopular race.

In the end, I prefer fewer races but I want to consequences for choosing the race instead of having 20 race that only affect stats and visuals.

This is exactly what Larian is looking for, and Larian likes Lizard races, they have one in Divine Divinity. Also Lizardfolk are mentioned right in the Baldur's Gate Gazette in BG: DiA which Larian Studios helped write with WotC. I don't think that is, an accident.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

This is exactly what Larian is looking for, and Larian likes Lizard races, they have one in Divine Divinity. Also Lizardfolk are mentioned right in the Baldur's Gate Gazette in BG: DiA which Larian Studios helped write with WotC. I don't think that is, an accident.

There are Cyclopses in Baldur's Gate too and I think we can all agree that they won't be playable either...
The Lizardfolk are just boring tribals you cannot compare them with the Lizards and their ancient Empire making them a playable race when they are already Dragonborn(Which are also boring compared to the Lizards) makes no sense. Although they will probably be there as NCPs or generic mobs.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

There are Cyclopses in Baldur's Gate too and I think we can all agree that they won't be playable either...
The Lizardfolk are just boring tribals you cannot compare them with the Lizards and their ancient Empire making them a playable race when they are already Dragonborn(Which are also boring compared to the Lizards) makes no sense. Although they will probably be there as NCPs or generic mobs.

Lizardfolk aren't just boring tribals, they have a complex history in the Forgotten Realms going all the way back to the creator races and a alien mind set.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Lizardfolk aren't just boring tribals, they have a complex history in the Forgotten Realms going all the way back to the creator races and a alien mind set.

I have no idea what you see in them, they have a long and proud history of being low-level trash mobs since 1st edition and more recently as hapless tribals threatened by more intelligent humanoids. Out of the Sarrukh related races, it's always been the Yuan-ti which got the most attention.
I would be surprised if we don't meet them both in BG3(hopefully we don't have to fight them like in NWN which I quit because of the railroading).
Though I can say with absolute certainty that Kobolds have a higher chance of becoming a PC race in the future than lizardfolk.

Last edited by Hawke; 22/11/19 10:29 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Let's break down the races into basic skeletons/body types.

Human-like Body: Human, Aasimar, Tiefling, Genasai, Tritons, Yuan Ti Pureblood, Gith, Hobgoblin, Half Orc, Half Elf.

Dwarf body: Dwarves: Shield, Gold, Duergar

Elf Body: High Elf, Wild Elf, Drow, Sea Elf, Eladarin, Shadar Kai

Halfling Body: Stout, Lightfoot, Ghostwise, Goblins

Gnome Body: Deep Gnomes, Forest Gnomes, Rock Gnomes

Dragonborn Body: Dragonborn

Big Guys Body: Firbolg, Goliath, Bugbear, Orcs

Tabaxi Body: Tabaxi

Kenku Body: Kenku

Tortle Body: Tortles

Kobold body: Kobolds

Lizardfolk Body: Lizardfolk

That is 12 basic skeletons/Body types to do 3D models with. Heads might be different on some of these.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 22/11/19 11:53 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
DND lizardfolk indeed are very very boring, they are probably among the most boring iteraiton of that fantasy race in any setting i can think of.
they literaly worship the god of "not actually progressing and beeing bareley more than animals"
DnD lizards are only cool in Eberron.

However, FR has the Asabi who are pretty cool and basically the same thing.
Still nothing close to the Divinity Lizards who harken back to the days of the Iksar or Howards Serpent people

Also Dragonborn have the same body type as dwarves so you probably should group them together

Last edited by Sordak; 23/11/19 11:37 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
DND lizardfolk indeed are very very boring, they are probably among the most boring iteraiton of that fantasy race in any setting i can think of.
they literaly worship the god of "not actually progressing and beeing bareley more than animals"
DnD lizards are only cool in Eberron.

However, FR has the Asabi who are pretty cool and basically the same thing.
Still nothing close to the Divinity Lizards who harken back to the days of the Iksar or Howards Serpent people

Also Dragonborn have the same body type as dwarves so you probably should group them together

Spelljammer has cool Lizardfolk, they send their eggs on Spelljammers to orbit suns because it makes their young smarter.

Anyways I could see some cool plotlines they could do with Lizardfolk in BG3, something tieing in with other scalyfolk races.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 25/11/19 12:10 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard