Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Can´t wait for an actual gameplay footage, even if it´s in alpha.

Loved the voice of the actress, she kinda remember me of Morrigan.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Loved the voice of the actress, she kinda remember me of Morrigan.

You mean that one from thumbnail? She was Sebille in D:OS 2, as well as the one who was reading grave descriptions in cemeteries in D:OS 1 smile

You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated - Maya Angelou
A
addict
addict
A
honestly 27th cant come closer!.. all the months of raging debate and arguments can be put to an end. also it seem there are a massive resurgent of turn-based purist everywhere. any game that has isometric has been requested as turn-based. wrath of the righteous is really lucky to still have RTwP. if baldur's gate 3 fails me at least i still have pathfinder.

veteran
veteran
Yeah if the graphics are anything like D:OS2 then it will be crap. The Forgotten Realms as a setting is nothing like the D:OS setting and so I hope the game truly represents the FR setting and not FR shoehorned into the D:OS setting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe this whole discussion was pointless it will be an action RPG without TB or RTWP cool

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Artagel
Originally Posted by dlux

350 people are officially working on the game. That is rather deep in AAA territory.

In my opinion, a turn-based game is probably too niche for a budget like that. If you want the Diablo and WoW millions, then it would probably be safer to take the realtime, partybased, multiplayer route.

Bingo. It's hard sometimes to step back from your own perspective on games, game systems, and accessibility issues and realize the bigger picture stuff like this. Even at this level of production, sales outweigh artistic integrity. WOTC has to make a profit here. So does Larian. To quote vometia in the 'ragin debate' thread from a couple weeks back, "I'll put up with TB if it's a series I'm already invested in or otherwise have a reason to be specifically interested, but if it's something that might've caught my attention and was 50/50 as to whether or not to buy it would push the consensus towards not interested."

So the big question is... did Larian make the right choice?

Were they smart?

Like you said. We'll see....

Well Swen's attitude might be that he is the one who is going to make the first AAA TB RPG that will appeal to AAA RPG audiences, essentially a DA:I/Witcher 3/Skyrim-like game but with TB combat that still appeals to tens of millions of gamers.

I of course don't see any chance that a TB game will sell anything like DA:I/Witcher 3/Skyrim, but good luck to Swen if that's what he wants to try for.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hawke
Maybe this whole discussion was pointless it will be an action RPG without TB or RTWP cool

Isn't this EXACTLY what I said many months ago?! wink

apprentice
apprentice
I really believe in Larian. I just hope that they know what they're doing, surely there was a brainstorm how BG 3 should be played and they picked the best possible option. Also WotC are helping them a lot and these people know what it takes to make good BG game.

I love Action RPG's, so even if BG 3 will be like that and will be ultra fun to play, i will accept that somehow.

To precise: I am not a big fan of BG. I played the games and i liked them, but i can't call a fan myself. The reason why i am waiting so urgent for BG 3 is the fact that Larian is making it, and Larian is probably my favourite game developer. Divine Divinity was part of my childhood, Divinity 2 took many sleepless nights from me, D:OS 1 made me fall in love with classic RPG's again and D:OS 2 was one of the best games i have played in my life, even if i dont like turn based combat much, i loved that in D:OS games.

The only one mediocre game from Larian was Beyond Divinity, but with actual very talented team, i think they wont repeat that disappointment.

Last edited by BananowePole; 19/02/20 02:42 PM.

You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated - Maya Angelou
A
addict
addict
A
wondering anyone remember divinite divinity? that was kinda awesome at that point of time.. and i'm not sure if anyone knows what's starforce?

old hand
old hand
At a +100 hours no way is BG3 a ARPG, plus that would step on Dark Alliances toes.

old hand
old hand
If its sells as well as DOS2 +50% I suspect they will make a profit. Also note they have studios in nations where the exchange rate makes larger work forces cheaper.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Archaven
wondering anyone remember divinite divinity? that was kinda awesome at that point of time.. and i'm not sure if anyone knows what's starforce?

Well, i have bought DD twice basically xD About a year ago I've purchased it on steam, because my CD's that i bought many years ago are lost. The game is so good, timeless, still playing it sometimes and still having a lot of fun.

Last edited by BananowePole; 19/02/20 03:44 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BananowePole
The reason why i am waiting so urgent for BG 3 is the fact that Larian is making it, and Larian is probably my favourite game developer.

That's perfectly fine. Everybody has their favorites. But from Larian's pov, if they are aiming only to please just the existing Larian fanbase and nobody else, the game - as a AAA game - will be a flop. They need to be able to appeal to people like me, people who don't care for any game Larian has previously made.

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
At a +100 hours no way is BG3 a ARPG

Why? Skyrim, DA:I, and Witcher 3 are all in the 100+ hrs range and are all very clearly in the AAA ARPG genre.

If its sells as well as DOS2 +50% I suspect they will make a profit. Also note they have studios in nations where the exchange rate makes larger work forces cheaper.

Not if it's a AAA game. Not even close. They'll need minimum 10 million in sales, which is WAY beyond what D:OS2 sold.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nope, 10mio is too much most AAA titles sell around 5-8 Mio copies everything beyond that is fairly rare.
For AAA standard Larian is fairly small, teams with 500->1000 have become pretty common these days. Since the game is pc only there is really no way that hey will sell more than a couple of millions of copies around the release.

Last edited by Hawke; 19/02/20 07:09 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kanisatha
That's perfectly fine. Everybody has their favorites. But from Larian's pov, if they are aiming only to please just the existing Larian fanbase and nobody else, the game - as a AAA game - will be a flop. They need to be able to appeal to people like me, people who don't care for any game Larian has previously made.

Of course, i know that many people didn't play a single Larian game before and they're here just because of BG 3. That's also fine, we all have different tastes and goals. It will be impossible to please every player on the planet. I think that people will be divided into two groups after BG 3 is released - one group will praise BG 3 and consider it as the best RPG ever made, another will hate the game and consider it as a desecration to BG legend. Just my personal thought.

Btw if you haven't played D:OS 2 then i highly recommended you to try, it's a must-play for every RPG fan.

old hand
old hand
DOS 2 had 200 people working on it as I understand it, BG3 have 350+ folks working on it and WotC input, so I recognize that it's going to be more expensive, but DOS made plenty of money, DOS2 made even more money and is still making money.

I still firmly believe BG3 will be turn based, with a slim chance of RTwP and zero chance of being ARPG.

BG3 can appeal to Larian Studios fans, D&D players, and D&D stream watchers (which us why I'm expect critical role camoes, and maybe Aquisitions Inc), and new fans in awe of the CGI.

Larian Studios has proven those who say that the only CRPG that sells well are ARPGs are wrong.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 19/02/20 07:50 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BananowePole

Of course, i know that many people didn't play a single Larian game before and they're here just because of BG 3. That's also fine, we all have different tastes and goals. It will be impossible to please every player on the planet. I think that people will be divided into two groups after BG 3 is released - one group will praise BG 3 and consider it as the best RPG ever made, another will hate the game and consider it as a desecration to BG legend. Just my personal thought.

Btw if you haven't played D:OS 2 then i highly recommended you to try, it's a must-play for every RPG fan.

Sorry but no. I did play D:OS1, hated every minute of it and wish I could get back the valuable minutes of my life wasted on it. There is no chance at this time of me ever trying D:OS2. The only way I would even be slightly tempted to ever try it is if someone makes a good RTwP mod for it.

apprentice
apprentice
Sorry but no. I did play D:OS1, hated every minute of it and wish I could get back the valuable minutes of my life wasted on it. There is no chance at this time of me ever trying D:OS2. The only way I would even be slightly tempted to ever try it is if someone makes a good RTwP mod for it.

D:OS 2 is on a different level. Many people who didnt like D:OS 1 have fallen in love with D:OS 2, but i respect your choice.

Last edited by BananowePole; 19/02/20 09:09 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
DOS 2 had 200 people working on it as I understand it, BG3 have 350+ folks working on it and WotC input, so I recognize that it's going to be more expensive, but DOS made plenty of money, DOS2 made even more money and is still making money.

No, they didn't even have 80 at the release of DOS 2 in Sep 2017. https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/divinity-original-sin-ii/credits I haven't seen a studio grow from indie to AAA this quickly in a long time they now have about 200 people + over a 150 working externally on the game.

Last edited by Hawke; 19/02/20 10:40 PM.
old hand
old hand
Larians time at Pax has been extended by an extra half hour so it's starting at 3:00pm est now, not 3:30pm est as previously announced, because BG3 is such a big game. Spread the word so no one misses the first half hour.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard