Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
hey guys first sorry for me english,i bought this game 3 days ago,(the de edition),and i still havent started im kind confused about my team composition,read some tips here and there,and finally decided about a team of 3 mages and 1 meele,could sth like that even work??So first,im gonna play on classic,now like one of my favorite all time games dragon age origins i love my mages i want to see what they can do gameplaywise even if they dont have the best chemistry,i thought the classic aerohydro on lohse,prince fighter-tank either 2h for damage or shield for defence,fane for geo-necromancer(instead of the pyro-geo-necro that is usually suggested)and ivan as main as full pyro(again instead of the ranger-rogue that is usually suggested),so what do you think????any alternatives on 3-1?????i dont wanna make a 4 mage-4 fighter even if its easier

apprentice
apprentice
I have had somewhat similar team on my first playthrough on classic difficulty; Lohse Hydro+Aero, Sebille Pyro+Geo, Ifan Necro+Summoning and Red Prince with Warfare+Polymorph. It was doing pretty well, i had Glass Cannon talent on Lohse with high initiative, so she always started the turn and dealt massive damage alrdy at the start. Maybe Red Prince with Pyro would be a better combo, due to his Dragon's Blaze, but i was just a newbie back then haha.

After all, i have finished the game without bigger problems, so i think such team build is a decent idea. You can try it without worries, for sure you'll be doing just fine.

D:OS 2 gives you total freedom. On classic difficulty you can finish the game with nearly any build (if you will play good enough). Sure, tactician difficulty is challenging and you need a smart team combo to beat the game, but it's your first playthrough so classic is the way to go.

Last edited by BananowePole; 19/02/20 03:31 PM.

You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated - Maya Angelou
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
thanks i read somewhere also about prince full pyro for this reason but read way more comments of him been the ultimate fighter, i know probably i wont have any problem on classic whatever team i end up with its just there are so many classes and information i get confused,and becacuse(sadly)plan to play only once(got a huge backlog with disco el and other lengthy games)i wont to make a team thats fun and has depth instead of sth more straightforward and classic even if its supposed to be easier

apprentice
apprentice
I noticed that mages are stronger in D:OS 2 than they were in D:OS 1. Also D:OS 2 has a lot of spells for mage classes, most of them are rly fun and you just feel the power of the spell when you cast it. Even magical armor of enemies is not a big deal, it won't resist against massive spellcasters.

I assure you that you will have plenty of fun. Good luck mate wink

Last edited by BananowePole; 19/02/20 03:55 PM.

You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated - Maya Angelou
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
How do you do this since you can only vaguely pick team members starting stats? Wait for the mirror and change them? I have been going with building on how they were initially built. I know it can be done over time but the start puts some characters way behind the curve.

apprentice
apprentice
Thats why there's a mirror when you finish Fort Joy. You have to use what you get in Act 1, but later it's all about your choices. Luckily Act 1 is quite easy.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Here are some tips to better control the early game builds of your party.

1) Plan your party ahead of time. Civil abilities are key. Persuasion level 1 is all you need if Fort Joy, so if you are used the Red Prince, you can neglect this ability on everyone else. Battlemages start with a civil ability point in persuasion. Lore level 1 identifies items from level 1 to level 6. If you have an elf in the party this is covered. Item levels 7-10 only require lore level 2. If you have an elf in the group and can find an amulet with lore on it, then you are good for all of Fort Joy. Enchanters and Wizards start with a civil ability point in lore.
(Edit) The other civil ability that is extremely helpful is bartering. This will allow you to get better deals in shops. Humans have a bonus to this, so if you have one in the party, this should be their choice for civil abilities.

2) At level 3, characters get a second talent. To be able to choose that for all the characters in your group, be certain to meet them and choose their starting class before you make it to level 3.

3) At level 2, characters get their second civil ability point. If you want to choose this (I don't as it means little to the overall game.), on the boat, avoid as many battles as possible. Once on Fort Joy, skip all fights and go directly to the characters you want in your group and then go to level 2.

Last edited by WINoodles; 20/02/20 04:30 PM.
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Great choice going classic difficulty first time through. On classic difficulty the game allows you to learn the mechanics as you go. After being through the game once, tactician isn't that bad.

Going with Aero/Hydro for Loshe is great. With Red Prince, as a strength base fighter, I highly recommend putting 1 point into Polymorph and getting Tentacle Lash. As a fighter, starting out sword and shield is better. Bouncing Shield does lots of damage and has a short 2 turn cool down. Once you feel Red Prince can survive without the shield, you can switch him to 2h. Fane Geo/Necro works great. With this build I recommend the talent Elemental Affinity. With this you can set up before a fight starts so Fane has one foot in blood and one foot in poison. The poison will be a nice passive heal. Doing this will allow Fane to get lots of skills cast in the first couple rounds of combat. A full pyro build works for Ifan. However, I would recommend swapping Ifan and Red Prince then. Make Ifan the fighter and Red Prince the pyro. Lizards can breathe fire and have resistance to fire. This makes them perfect for full Pyro builds. The Pyro will make the lizard's breathe fire do more damage as well.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
thanks again,amazing tips,one last am i suppose to check every trade option on npcs (either randoms or shops)and always buy the magic book skills??anythin else that is regarded must buy??

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
There are no must buys. The vendors of skill books are where you will get 99.99% to 100% of what will want. However, nearly all of the NPCs have some items on them. You can trade with these NPCs like vendors, however, it generally isn't worth your time. Vendors reset stock every 60 minutes of time spent in game. By reset, they will restock any skill books you had purchased and reroll whatever other items they keep on stock. This allows you to revisit if two characters need the same skill book. Items sold to vendors remain in stock. This is great in case you sell something you didn't mean to. However, it can be difficult to tell the difference between the vendor's normal stock and what you have sold to them. As such, I highly recommend in each area try to find a vendor that has gold, but doesn't stock anything else you are looking for. Sell to this vendor to keep the inventory of the vendors you will be revisiting clean.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard