Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Waeress #659031 24/02/20 02:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Waeress
Some journalists made a mistake or thought that early access automatically means Steam.
The audio from the meeting where early access was mentioned is online and they don't talk about Steam at all.

source?

Hawke #659037 24/02/20 02:40 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hawke
Some journalists made a mistake or thought that early access automatically means Steam.
The audio from the meeting where early access was mentioned is online and they don't talk about Steam at all.

source?

https://investor.hasbro.com/events/event-details/investor-event-2020-toy-fair

Audio around 1:04:00

apprentice
apprentice
"🦑THREE🦑MORE🦑DAYS

Tune in to the Stadia YouTube channel this Thursday where we'll be hosting the Baldur's Gate livestream for the worldwide gameplay reveal of #BaldursGate3"

https://twitter.com/googlestadia/status/1232063910385090560

So, exclusive is still the question; but Stadia seems very likely to have BG3 early access.

Waeress #659056 25/02/20 05:28 PM
old hand
old hand
"🦑THREE🦑MORE🦑DAYS

Tune in to the Stadia YouTube channel this Thursday where we'll be hosting the Baldur's Gate livestream for the worldwide gameplay reveal of #BaldursGate3"

https://twitter.com/googlestadia/status/1232063910385090560

So, exclusive is still the question; but Stadia seems very likely to have BG3 early access.

If so I bet Google payed a fortune to Larian Studios for that honour, personally it's still coming out on PC so I don't care.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 25/02/20 05:28 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Here are a couple of new video interviews.

and

Interesting commentary of BG3 gameplay from a game reporter who had a demo.

Last edited by Nobody_Special; 28/02/20 05:14 AM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Here is a new interview discussing the story of BG3, you might find interesting.

https://www.geek.com/games/return-o...ate-iii-producer-david-walgrave-1819466/

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special

and

Its sounds like they have 5 more Companions in the works so far. I think that at minium we will have a companion for every PHB class. I have a feeling one will be a Halfling, One will be a Tiefling, one will be an Aasimar and one will be a Dwarf, one will be Drow and one with be a Githzerai Monk to act as a foil to the Githyanki companion.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 03/03/20 02:25 AM.
old hand
old hand
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...ed-combat-is-a-blessing-for-multiplayer/

Interesting possiblities for both multiplayer and single player with the way they handled simultaneous turned (combos).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

and

Its sounds like they have 5 more Companions in the works so far. I think that at minium we will have a companion for every PHB class. I have a feeling one will be a Halfling, One will be a Tiefling, one will be an Aasimar and one will be a Dwarf, one will be Drow and one with be a Githzerai Monk to act as a foil to the Githyanki companion.

Good find Nobody - special, Thanks !

-Doom

Last edited by Doomlord; 03/03/20 04:06 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Doomlord #660759 03/03/20 04:04 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Doomlord

and

Good find Omegaphallic, Thanks !

-Doom

You're Welcome.

veteran
veteran
New story details are in the article from the latest Dragon+ magazine:

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2020/03/02/in-the-works-baldurs-gate-iii/content.html

“The more you use your tadpole by selecting it from the options within dialogue, the stronger the influence of your tadpole becomes. But the more you use it, the quicker you unlock your powers,” says Larian Senior Designer Edouard Imbert.

“It’s that duality we’re introducing. It’s comparable to Bhaalspawn, which is a nice link to Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II. We want players to be wary this thing is still inside them, and the fact that they can turn into a mind flayer is still there,” warns Smith.

To add to the chaos, a new cult known as the Absolute is on the rise. It quickly becomes clear that certain enemies you encounter within this faction also have tadpole powers, making them more interesting (and more dangerous!) opponents. Don’t be surprised when that priestess you’re facing off against suddenly uses telekinesis to drop one of the temple’s statues on you.

The question every fan of the Baldur’s Gate series will be asking themselves is: will we see a few familiar faces from past games? “Fans of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are going to look at our game and have certain expectations. Some of those expectations we’re going to completely shatter. We’re set 100 years after Baldur’s Gate II and we are taking everything in the Forgotten Realms D&D books as canon,” Smith says, the earlier playtest confirming that Volo is in the game. “We don’t want to take away the expectation that they might meet this or that character again. But we’re not going to change timelines or do anything crazy to introduce anyone, we’re using the lore very respectfully.”

Last edited by _Vic_; 03/03/20 08:56 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
>Tadpole powers
well, Larian certainly isnt making it easy for them not to look silly are they

i guess itll end up beeing a plot by the mindflayers to create chaos and then turn people at the right moment, but still, "random people get mindflayer powers" just seems like rehashing baldurs gate a bit too much...

apprentice
apprentice
I think the tadpole serves as a "Chosen One" vehicle as a common but effective fantasy trope. Plus it gives them an explanation for the deviations from D&D 5e ruleset for for pronounced environment interaction = stronger jump, push/shove, throw etc. Still I hope they tone that down requiring some Greatsword Fighter to also throw stuff at peoples just to use that action feels very strange.

As for many familiar things from the old games and them saying they want to be authentic to 5e:
WOTC is mainly to blame for destroying the old Forgotten Realms and the big time shift basically to start with a clean slate. Also many of the 5e changes that peoples unfamiliar will criticize like strict Alignment not really being a thing anymore and removal of many OP/exploity combinations with insane spells and multi-classing.
I would not expect familiar characters everywhere because of the above changes even though they will wake sure to add a few well known ones and other "easter eggs".

enthusiast
enthusiast
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/yZPj83H38bs?t=395[/video]
... for the first time you can actually go over the bridge and also under the bridge ...

This is actually huge. One of my stressing questions so far. A really big step forward in engine progression. Cheers up.

Question to the devs: Wonder how many layers in the walkmesh there can be? More than one! Means 2 or even more?

_Vic_ #660828 03/03/20 02:03 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by _Vic_

“The more you use your tadpole by selecting it from the options within dialogue, the stronger the influence of your tadpole becomes. But the more you use it, the quicker you unlock your powers,” says Larian Senior Designer Edouard Imbert.

“It’s that duality we’re introducing. It’s comparable to Bhaalspawn, which is a nice link to Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II. We want players to be wary this thing is still inside them, and the fact that they can turn into a mind flayer is still there,” warns Smith.

Sounds more like the Spirit-Eater from NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer than the Bhaalspawn to be honest. Certainly similarities among them all, but yeah...that conjures up more images of the Spirit-Eater for me than the Bhaalspawn.

Likely just me though. wink

Last edited by ZeshinX; 03/03/20 02:03 PM.
T
T
The 'Tadpole Power' (TP) mechanic sounds interesting. Will it be once per fight? How degrading is it longterm to use your TP? I hope the abilities will be powerful but used sparingly, and not like with the Source that you just recharged after each battle. You want to hold on to you TP, or you could use it how much you want but basically "debuff" yourself so much you become a cripple.

veteran
veteran
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...ed-combat-is-a-blessing-for-multiplayer/

Interesting possiblities for both multiplayer and single player with the way they handled simultaneous turned (combos).

This idea of simultaneous turns is exactly what I proposed way back on this forum as something that can possibly make TB combat palatable for me. The whole point of RTwP for me, as the player, is to be able to do movements and actions for all my party members in a simultaneous way (even if the underlying mechanic is still turns). So I applaud Swen for taking this very huge step towards making TB combat fun for people like me.

_Vic_ #660873 03/03/20 04:23 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_

To add to the chaos, a new cult known as the Absolute is on the rise. It quickly becomes clear that certain enemies you encounter within this faction also have tadpole powers, making them more interesting (and more dangerous!) opponents. Don’t be surprised when that priestess you’re facing off against suddenly uses telekinesis to drop one of the temple’s statues on you.

The question every fan of the Baldur’s Gate series will be asking themselves is: will we see a few familiar faces from past games? “Fans of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are going to look at our game and have certain expectations. Some of those expectations we’re going to completely shatter. We’re set 100 years after Baldur’s Gate II and we are taking everything in the Forgotten Realms D&D books as canon,” Smith says, the earlier playtest confirming that Volo is in the game. “We don’t want to take away the expectation that they might meet this or that character again. But we’re not going to change timelines or do anything crazy to introduce anyone, we’re using the lore very respectfully.”

The problem here though is that this strongly incetivizes everyone to play evil and never good. If you play good, which means NOT using your tadpole at all because using your tadpole means moving closer to becoming a mindflayer, you get screwed out of awesome powers and even some beneficial dialogue options but with no alternative benefits whatsoever. And since I will NEVER ever play evil in any game, I am permanently screwed.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Yes?
Thats what good is?

beeing good should always be the hard option.

Beein good is hard, doing the right thign should be hard. It certainly is in the real world.
The good ending should be earned.

Also its a matter of freedom or not, you want to be a mindflayer? i dont

veteran
veteran
Personally I find the plot refreshing, I mean, your are not a chosen one that has to save the world against an evil that was sealed a thousand years ago, you are just an average joe that got infected with a parasite and wants to survive.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/two-thirds-of-baldurs-gate-3-engine-is-brand-new

It seems they felt the need to address the "BG3 is DOS3" in this interview.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard