Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hawke
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
DOS 2 had 200 people working on it as I understand it, BG3 have 350+ folks working on it and WotC input, so I recognize that it's going to be more expensive, but DOS made plenty of money, DOS2 made even more money and is still making money.

No, they didn't even have 80 at the release of DOS 2 in Sep 2017. https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/divinity-original-sin-ii/credits I haven't seen a studio grow from indie to AAA this quickly in a long time they now have about 200 people + over a 150 working externally on the game.

Well they made alot of money on DOS2, heck its STILL making money!

If Larian Studios pulls this off it will be a game changer for them, D&D, and the entire game industry.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hawke
DOS 2 had 200 people working on it as I understand it, BG3 have 350+ folks working on it and WotC input, so I recognize that it's going to be more expensive, but DOS made plenty of money, DOS2 made even more money and is still making money.

No, they didn't even have 80 at the release of DOS 2 in Sep 2017. https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/divinity-original-sin-ii/credits I haven't seen a studio grow from indie to AAA this quickly in a long time they now have about 200 people + over a 150 working externally on the game.

Well they made alot of money on DOS2, heck its STILL making money!

If Larian Studios pulls this off it will be a game changer for them, D&D, and the entire game industry.

LOL. Whatever.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by BananowePole
Originally Posted by kanisatha
That's perfectly fine. Everybody has their favorites. But from Larian's pov, if they are aiming only to please just the existing Larian fanbase and nobody else, the game - as a AAA game - will be a flop. They need to be able to appeal to people like me, people who don't care for any game Larian has previously made.

Of course, i know that many people didn't play a single Larian game before and they're here just because of BG 3. That's also fine, we all have different tastes and goals. It will be impossible to please every player on the planet. I think that people will be divided into two groups after BG 3 is released - one group will praise BG 3 and consider it as the best RPG ever made, another will hate the game and consider it as a desecration to BG legend. Just my personal thought.

Btw if you haven't played D:OS 2 then i highly recommended you to try, it's a must-play for every RPG fan.

i have played it. it's a great game but i think it's a little overrated. but this is just my opinion. it's more rewarding playing with 1 or 2 characters with lone wolf instead of 4. most encounters are hand crafted but there are trash fights. encounters were also making elevation conveniently available. the random loot really suxs as there are no grinds. the number of encounters are fixed. the story, the characters, the quests, the arts the world were all beautiful and well done.

i do not want to play DOS2 again with a BG3 skin. i have some ideas on Turn-Based Real-Time where both modes combined as one. It will be really interesting if Larian go this direction. Otherwise it's really just DOS2 clone with D&D rules.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Archaven
i have played it. it's a great game but i think it's a little overrated. but this is just my opinion. it's more rewarding playing with 1 or 2 characters with lone wolf instead of 4. most encounters are hand crafted but there are trash fights. encounters were also making elevation conveniently available. the random loot really suxs as there are no grinds. the number of encounters are fixed. the story, the characters, the quests, the arts the world were all beautiful and well done.

Everyone has its own opinion and it's fine. For me, a perfect example of overrated game is Witcher 3. It was a good game, but not as good as people see it. Surely not the best RPG ever made.

I agree with you about Lone Wolf part, but loot is not random only, it contains many fixed items as the rewards that are often better than randomly generated loot. Yeah, i've fallen in love with the story, characters, quests, visuals, world and gameplay. I rated the game 9.5/10 on the polish largest gaming site (something like metacritic) and for me it's a fair score. I just had enormous amount of fun while playing it and loved every minute of the time spent in this game.

Anyway, i am sorry for offtopic, it's a thread about BG 3 so lets focus on BG 3 now smile

Last edited by BananowePole; 20/02/20 05:55 PM.

You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated - Maya Angelou
addict
addict
Great News!!! Doomy is no longer feeling gloomy woot

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by BananowePole
Originally Posted by Archaven

Everyone has its own opinion and it's fine. For me, a perfect example of overrated game is Witcher 3. It was a good game, but not as good as people see it. Surely not the best RPG ever made.

I agree with you about Lone Wolf part, but loot is not random only, it contains many fixed items as the rewards that are often better than randomly generated loot. Yeah, i've fallen in love with the story, characters, quests, visuals, world and gameplay. I rated the game 9.5/10 on the polish largest gaming site (something like metacritic) and for me it's a fair score. I just had enormous amount of fun while playing it and loved every minute of the time spent in this game.

Anyway, i am sorry for offtopic, it's a thread about BG 3 so lets focus on BG 3 now smile

First time poster here. Been a lurker from afar since the initial BGIII announcement.

The Witcher 3 stands firm on my top 5 list, easily. Apart from the repetitiveness of all those fetch quests it is pure quality in many areas, and they simply nailed the atmosphere most of the time. That hut where you are looking for a witch, wow. I was tense all the way. And on your way to that courtyard when you hear someone digging a grave, getting closer and closer. Just a few examples.

ANYWAY, back to BGIII. I'm looking forward to PAX for sure. I've mostly been a traditionalist regarding which directions I think they should take but now I just hope it's good and gives me that good old BG feeling (I doubt it actually). I played D:OS when it came out, and what I liked the most was the music. The graphics were nice, but too cartoonish for my taste. They obviously need to have a more realistic depiction when dealing with BGIII. That's my humble opinion at least.

Last edited by vometia; 21/02/20 01:58 AM. Reason: formatting
Looking forward to world reveal claphands groovy celebrate

A
addict
addict
A
3-4 days soon.

S
veteran
veteran
S
kind of concerned about the background stuff.
it did look very much like OS2
I like OS2s level of graphics, but for BG3 with all the hype and the huge team behind it, i kind of expected a larger step up in terms of graphical fidelity.
Specifically not repeating OS2s plastic look.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
kind of concerned about the background stuff.
it did look very much like OS2
I like OS2s level of graphics, but for BG3 with all the hype and the huge team behind it, i kind of expected a larger step up in terms of graphical fidelity.
Specifically not repeating OS2s plastic look.

We haven't seen enough to jump to conclusions about the appearance aside from CGI clips, which look AMAZING.

S
veteran
veteran
S
CGI means nothing tho, they probably arent even done inhouse.
Look at elderscrolls online for that.
The CGI was great, but the game doesnt even have the same artstyle

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
CGI means nothing tho, they probably arent even done inhouse.
Look at elderscrolls online for that.
The CGI was great, but the game doesnt even have the same artstyle

My point that we haven't seen enough to judge still stands.

veteran
veteran
It is the freaking B day, I am eager to see what they have to offer. Long time since I was so excited about a gameplay since Kingmaker.

I do not care much about the technical stuff, to be honest, but about the setting and the gameplay mechanics. That would be fun.

veteran
veteran
4 party members rather than 6. I'm a bit miffed. But also hyped.

veteran
veteran
The game looks fucking amazing. watching the reveal. very strong divinity original sins game influence in the combat style but using 5th ed stuff rather than what larian made for divinity games.Lots of skills and features from 5E, party combat, mindflayers, a lot of creativity using the environment against the enemies the cutscene at the start looked spectacular. 3 dragons attacking mind flayer flying ship
That was all I wanted and more.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
The game looks fucking amazing. watching the reveal. very strong divinity original sins game influence in the combat style but using 5th ed stuff rather than what larian made for divinity games.Lots of skills and features from 5E, party combat, mindflayers, a lot of creativity using the environment against the enemies the cutscene at the start looked spectacular. 3 dragons attacking mind flayer flying ship
That was all I wanted and more.

I think you've displayed more enthusiasm in this paragraph than in your entire post history.

veteran
veteran
Maybe because now I actually watched what the game looks and feels like?

enthusiast
enthusiast
If anyone missed or would like to watch the Gameplay revel again. You can watch it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=7bRyG5WpIMY&feature=emb_logo

Last edited by Nobody_Special; 27/02/20 11:25 PM.
addict
addict
Since I always play rogues some things bothered me. Maybe it is my impression, but Vincke says at some point that you need to be in melee range to sneak attack, and also when he was sneaking there seemed to be no advantage bonus to attack rolls. I hope I either missed something or this will be corrected in the future.

Last edited by Danielbda; 27/02/20 11:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
If they use the D&D 5e rules, you can sneak with ranged weapons, but only in certain conditions.

I found more refreshing the fact that you need to be in the shadows to sneak, that would be an improvement.

Last edited by _Vic_; 28/02/20 12:02 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard