Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#659133 27/02/20 09:35 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, I'm genuinely disappointed how it turned out. Don't get me wrong it will probably be a great D&D game but BG feeling and atmosphere is nowhere to be found. Too many reused assets, ui elements look like those in divinity, environment graphic practically indistinguishable from DOS2, too colourful (BG was dark af compared to this) and those over the top spells and character or objects animations (exactly like in DOS2), combat looks basically the same like in DOS. I feel like they just changed or tweak engine to work more in D&D manner. Unless they won't change a lot of things (it is still pre-alpha thankfully) I actually wish I didn't play DOS2 so I could enjoy this game more...

What I liked on the other hand were character animations during cutscenes and dialogues and the story presented so far.

Edit: Cinematic was georgeus, rolling dice system also great idea

Last edited by mhroczyn; 27/02/20 10:17 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm excited but not super hyped. There are a number of things missing like the 6-people party. On the other hand, I loved the spells even if am concerned about the game being too similar to Original Sin 2.

Loved the cinematic tho.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Combat needs to be spiced up a few notches. Most of the time it doesn't feel as gripping as RTWP would. Characters look stiff during combat because the camera is still for the most part. I'd like a party of six too. The other parts give me hope though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I'm excited but not super hyped. There are a number of things missing like the 6-people party. On the other hand, I loved the spells even if am concerned about the game being too similar to Original Sin 2.

Loved the cinematic tho.

Oh wait there's a party of 5 in one of the leaked screenshots. Missed that.

R
stranger
stranger
R
As somebody who really enjoyed D:OS 1/2 and loves deep cRPGs, I liked what was shown and definitely intend to pick up the game when it's out. It looks like an improvement in many ways compared to D:OS2 and all the roleplaying options that are on offer are exciting. It's clear they're putting a lot of passion and effort into this project.

All of that said, while it has the kind of depth that some fans of the BG series will appreciate, this is also a very different game compared to the BioWare classics, so I'm not sure calling it Baldur's Gate 3 is a wise choice.

Last edited by ReptilePZ; 27/02/20 10:03 PM.
stranger
stranger
The Gameplay convinced me enough that im definetly going to buy this game. I've been a big fan of RPG's and got into playing with Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity, while also picking up D&D 5e. Currently I'm even DM'ing Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus for my players.

Cinematic knocked it out of the park. Grade A for awesome.
The gameplay looks promising. I mostly have the issue that I don't know what i want out of the gameplay until i have it. Having Jump, shove and other Shenanigans as bonus action is a welcome addition! I'm convinced those additions will add for some very fun moves to spice up the combat.
What impresses me the most is that they included featherfall: This gives me hope the Dev-Team thinks of creating the World and Dungeons with 3-Dimensional movement in mind, which can lead to some awesome level designs.

And I echo previous sentiment, it's very clearly using the Divinity engine, so it gives off a very similiar feel. Of course i like new and shiny as much as the next Kobold, but I think we will not get the next "cRPG evolution!" with Baldur's Gate 3. Instead I've set my expectations to getting a worthy addition to the genre which shines through more options, a great story and smooth and ironed out gameplay!

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed.

journeyman
journeyman
Honestly not impressed. Oh sure, the game looks fine, but I'm disgusted they slapped a '3' on the title of this.

No. This is not Baldur's Gate 3. After watching the demo, this is most definitely NOT Baldur's Gate 3. This is an otherwise fine looking D&D game that happens to take place in and around the city of Baldur's Gate (I assume anyway, since BG2 wasn't even near the city of Baldur's Gate), but this by no means deserves that '3' in the title. Not even remotely.

Drop the '3', give it it's own subtitle and drop any pretense this has anything remotely to do with the Bhaalspawn saga that the '3' implies and leans on.

Nowhere in this is there ANY indication this has any connection to 1 & 2, even tangentially. Hell, based on what I've seen this looks to have more connection to Neverwinter Nights 2 than it does to Baldur's Gate.

A cheap marketing gimmick. That's all slapping that '3' on the title is. Undeservedly riding the wake of a classic series.

You've got the makings of a fine game here, Larian. Not Baldur's Gate 3, but a fine D&D game. Talk to WotC about ditching that '3'. You don't need it. Either that or start showing the justification for that '3', because to date, you have failed completely to do so.

veteran
veteran
Loved the Roll dice mechanics and the obvious amount of passion and VA - even if a bit too much relying on English accents.

veteran
veteran
I'm very very dissapointed. Waiting for Baldur's Gate 3 for 20 years and this is really not what I expected.
I really don't understand why this is calll Baldur"s Gate.

Same receipe with RTwP and you would have ressurect + improve this type of gameplay.
You unfortunately choose the easiest way and took LOTS of elements from D:OS.

Is there a chance for us to see a RTwP game mode appear ?
If there's not, Baldur's Gate is really dead to me... (even if I don't doubt the game is going to be "good", it's not gonna be the following of the legend...)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/02/20 10:14 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh come on! NWN2 had a great campaign and quite good 3.5 D&De adaptation (BG3 seem to go into transferring p&p into video game as much as they can which is + tho I would prefer real time with active pause). Not to mention masterpiece which Mask of the Betrayer surely was.

veteran
veteran
Mask of the Betrayer + Hordes of the Underdark = perfection

How will timestop spell work in turn-based system ?

stranger
stranger
As someone who had bought the original Baldur's gate saga on CDs, then the digital version of it, THEN the enhanced version of it, THEN the android version of the enhanced edition and who replayed the saga many many times for the past 22 years, I feel... a little fooled.

I can totally understand that the times have changed. I've tried to play DOS and DOS2, but found them boring because of... lengthy, turn-based, unengaging combat.

I know it's pre-alpha, but at this point the game has way too much in common with DOS and not enough in common with Baldur's gate.

Improve on the feel of the game (assets, music) and "buff" combat experience to not be dull, PLEASE.

Being too deadbent on keeping it as close to paper D&D5 rules as possible may be the downfall of this game - make changes necessary to make it a fun and ENJOYABLE VIDEO GAME.

I hope you can do it, I would really like to buy and enjoy this game.

veteran
veteran
To be honest I didn´t expect much but color me impressed. The character creation seemed very 5e, from races to stats to backgrounds. Lots of skills from the TT game that you can apply in the environment, something you can barely see in videogames. The combat was amazing. I loved all the creative uses of your mage
hand. I will definitely go high elf.
And you can throw your boot of justice to kill an intellect devourer. Misc will approve.
[Linked Image]

It was cool that they keep the Origins mechanic of DoS2, it was fun, but I hope we could make our own character. Another thing that gave me hope is that now the characters seem to talk to each other, finally.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by mhroczyn
Oh come on! NWN2 had a great campaign and quite good 3.5 D&De adaptation (BG3 seem to go into transferring p&p into video game as much as they can which is + tho I would prefer real time with active pause). Not to mention masterpiece which Mask of the Betrayer surely was.

NWN2 was great, definitely. I loved the hell out of it and Mask of the Betrayer was sublime.

The statement this has more in common with NWN2 was not intended to imply anything other than it looks like this should be called Neverwinter Nights 3, not Baldur's Gate 3, as this appears to have far more connection to NWN2 than it does to BG1&2.

Last edited by ZeshinX; 27/02/20 10:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by cyseal
How will timestop spell work in turn-based system ?

Like it does in PnP?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by silentsnake
As someone who had bought the original Baldur's gate saga on CDs, then the digital version of it, THEN the enhanced version of it, THEN the android version of the enhanced edition and who replayed the saga many many times for the past 22 years, I feel... a little fooled.

I can totally understand that the times have changed. I've tried to play DOS and DOS2, but found them boring because of... lengthy, turn-based, unengaging combat.

I know it's pre-alpha, but at this point the game has way too much in common with DOS and not enough in common with Baldur's gate.

Improve on the feel of the game (assets, music) and "buff" combat experience to not be dull, PLEASE.

Being too deadbent on keeping it as close to paper D&D5 rules as possible may be the downfall of this game - make changes necessary to make it a fun and ENJOYABLE VIDEO GAME.

I hope you can do it, I would really like to buy and enjoy this game.

Well put. The combat was just about the only thing that cut my attention span short.

apprentice
apprentice
Nothing like Baldur's Gate
Basically a Divinity recycling
The combat for example, characters don't even have spellcasting voices, nothing!
Classes seem extremely limited
Isn't there a day/night cycle too?
I'm disappointed frown

Like it does in PnP?

Does it adds more action points?

I don't understand it from metagaming perspective. When your turn is on, well, every other character's pawn time is freezed.
What is the time stop then ?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by cyseal

Like it does in PnP?

Does it adds more action points?

I don't understand it from metagaming perspective. When your turn is on, well, every other character's pawn time is freezed.
What is the time stop then ?

Your character gets to make a number of turns without anyone else making any. The rules are here:
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Time%20Stop#content

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard