Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
journeyman
journeyman
I'm not entirely sold on the turn-based combat, as it lacks the agency and energy of RTwP, which makes it even less worthy of the '3' in the title, but I can and have enjoyed TB combat in the past (not in D:OS mind...sadly Larian's incessant tongue-in-cheek narrative style becomes tiresome after about 20 mins for me so never bothered beyond a few hours with it).

This otherwise looks like a fine and fun game...but honestly that damn '3' needs to just go.

veteran
veteran
Well Sven Vincke from Larian and Mike Mearls from WoTC keep on saying that the videogame is based in D&D5e, sword coast setting, and the Baldur´s gate Adventures MiBG and DiA; not in the first games. They were very forthright even from the first interview so I kinda expected that.

apprentice
apprentice
Love a lot of what I saw personally, and I think this game show great promise. Though I do agree with some of the disapproving sentiments here. The game does look a little bit *too* Divinity Original Sin-esque at this state, especially the HUD and colourful tone of the graphics. But this is something that can be fixed.

Also, though it might be a premature judgment to pass based on circa half-hour's display of gameplay, there wasn't much shown in the video that I felt was particularly evocative of the Forgotten Realms setting. It is after all a richly detailed universe, and the setting itself has a unique character that I think is important to get through. Fundamentally the point that pretty much every place you walk is steeped with history, tales of triumph, treachery, villainy and tragedy. And often the unsettled matters of the past have a way of affecting the lives of people of the present, especially when you factor in actions of adventurers.

I'm perfectly okay with the Bhaalspawn crisis not being the main storyline (since that matter was pretty resolutely settled in BG1 & 2 in my opinion), but I do hope that they give some light to the past stories and characters of the previous games, so that this game is at least apart of the continuum of the franchise and so there is actually some merit in using the Baldur's Gate title. The Spelljammer (which is sort of a separate setting) Mindflayers being the focal point of the game's storyline is fine, though I hope they will try to represent some of the familiar and classic places, characters and factions that we've seen in the previous games and the books, and their state of being in the new era.

Last edited by deserk; 28/02/20 12:38 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I'm excited but not super hyped. There are a number of things missing like the 6-people party. On the other hand, I loved the spells even if am concerned about the game being too similar to Original Sin 2.

Loved the cinematic tho.

We don't actually know max party size, some of the revealed pics have 5 companions, which also happens to be the all the companions they've done so far (more coming).

Plus camp fellowers were also mentioned and I suspect that fellowers will be like Kingmaker Mercanaries.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I hope it is at least 5, because if the give us DM mode. You would need one character slot for the DM and 4 slots for the characters in multiplayer mode.

stranger
stranger
You're making assumptions based on no information.
So maybe wait until some actual details are known about the story, or how the events of the Bhaalspawn series relate to this game.
I have no issue with this being called Baldur's Gate 3 as long as the game world is the same one we travelled in BG 1 and 2.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by cryocore
You're making assumptions based on no information.
So maybe wait until some actual details are known about the story, or how the events of the Bhaalspawn series relate to this game.
I have no issue with this being called Baldur's Gate 3 as long as the game world is the same one we travelled in BG 1 and 2.

I spoke only my opinion on the matter. I don't claim it as anything other than that. We disagree. Cool. smile

No information is precisely my point though. There is not a single shred of visible or spoken connective tissue between this game and BG1 & 2 (beyond the setting itself...even if this is over 100 years after the Bhaalspawn saga...we haven't even seen a single character that is uniquely attached to the Baldur's Gate saga) that justifies calling it Baldur's Gate 3. Calling it Baldur's Gate: Something, I'd find not a single issue. Now if there is connective tissue, I'd rather they put it out there.

I've no doubt this will be a good, solid D&D game. One I intend to buy, play and enjoy. It doesn't need to ride in the wake of classic titles, it can sell just fine on it's own. Implying a connection with the '3' at this stage just feels dirty.

stranger
stranger
Again, you are the one making the implications by assuming the worst. This is specifically your issue because you're assuming the worst based on literally nothing.
Personally I would prefer not to know the link (assuming there is one), and have that be a surprise when playing the game. So maybe cool your jets until there is actually something to be upset about. Right now you're upset at an idea that is solely fostered in your own mind and not based on any facts.

Just because you've not seen anything doesn't mean it isn't there.

Last edited by cryocore; 28/02/20 04:25 AM.
stranger
stranger
I will say this, I would prefer rtwp over turn-based, but it's not a real deal breaker for me, Larian's turn-based does a lot to justify itself.

To me, aside from the fact that it really doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate, I take the biggest issue with the way conversations are handled. In my opinion, not offering full replies for the player character removes a lot of player expression, and it makes it extremely jarring that the PC is mute. The player can't even fill in the blanks because the scene progresses *immediately*. The past tense makes it even worse somehow. As a result, the writing overall feels really starved, unfortunately. I'm also not a fan of the cinematic camera. I'll be honest, a half-decent static 2D hand-drawn character portrait will be much more effective in a CRPG any day of the week. I also think that full VO is extremely overrated in this genre. Just a few voiced lines per character are more than enough to establish their character. After all, we are not trying to watch a movie here. As a complete outsider, I see this as a complete waste of resources that could have gone towards *writing*.

But I don't want to just be negative, I think the story premise is fantastic and the deep dynamic roleplaying elements are just as impressive as they were in OS2 and they are rightfully Larian's claim to fame.

There's just something missing in the audiovisual presentation that would make it Baldur's Gate. I mean, Pillars of Eternity had that feeling and they weren't even using the license. I hope Larian don't get discouraged by what could easily be seen as just straight up negativity because they have a lot to be proud of. But I think they understand that we are all masive BG fans - just as I'm sure they are - and when it's a numbered sequel, we have almost unrealistic expectations.

stranger
stranger
I’m happy with what I saw. Real time with pause put me off so many older (And newer, see pillars) RPG’s. I hate that combat system. Only Dragon Age did it well and for that I mostly played it like World of Warcraft, never using pause.

People’re mad it’s not a direct sequel. But times change, just as the Fallout franchise had to adapt so does Baldur’s Gate and this style of combat is well loved in 2020.

The past tense “I did x” dialogue needs to to though, change it to normal speaking please.

Last edited by Trynvae; 28/02/20 08:36 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Trynvae
I’m happy with what I saw. Real time with pause put me off so many older (And newer, see pillars) RPG’s. I hate that combat system. Only Dragon Age did it well and for that I mostly played it like World of Warcraft, never using pause.

People’re mad it’s not a direct sequel. But times change, just as the Fallout franchise had to adapt so does Baldur’s Gate and this style of combat is well loved in 2020.

The past tense “I did x” dialogue needs to to though, change it to normal speaking please.

Yes and the Fallout franchise has adapted so swimmingly. Just look at the latest title they've cranked out. Heheh. When you continue to mess with the foundation undergirding your IP, you no longer have a target audience.

stranger
stranger
This game looks very nice, but:

I'm in the pro RTwP camp 100%. I don't buy the argument that since the old combat system in the originals was iffy that it has to be that way in this day and age. I know the BG1/BG2 battles had their flaws but they had that intense and chaotic feel to them that really appealed to me. It just flowed better due to the simultaneous actions. Good for those that like RT, and i'm not bashing you, but this might actually make this a deal breaker for me. As far as graphics go, they seem a tad too pristine. I actually do think of D3 and D:OS when looking at this.

I want to applaud Sven for having the guts to actually play a game in mid development that has loads of bugs and missing features. And I did enjoy watching it. The characters did feel bland but I honestly didn't have high hopes (that one is hard to pull off).

Summed up, it looks to become a great game but it has nothing to do with the BG series. I fear i will grow bored with this, just like Divinity.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
The Fallout franchise perform well... exept the last one... but because of the online matter ( Fo 76 ).
Fo 3 and 4 maked pretty good seeling despite old fans ( fo 1 and 2 ) shoot loud and with anger about "bethesda betrayal" since they have changed the game mechanics.

So last opus difficulties are not tied to the same reasons. It not because of the contrast with old ( classical ) games.

Last edited by The Storyteller; 28/02/20 08:55 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Storyteller
The Fallout franchise perform well... exept the last one... but because of the online matter ( Fo 76 ).
Fo 3 and 4 maked pretty good seeling despite old fans ( fo 1 and 2 ) shoot loud and with anger about "bethesda betrayal" since they have changed the game mechanics.

So last opus difficulties are not tied to the same reasons. It not because of the contrast with old ( classical ) games.

I see it this way. Their constant fiddling with the formula has finally caught up with them. It's not just the "online matter" but the fact that the story and writing the games are known for have been completely eschewed in the latest installment. There's no doubt 3 and 4 have sold well although I don't know how many copies they needed to sell in order to break even. My guess is a lot as production value must have been very high which leads me to believe that's why they tried changing up the base mechanics again with 76.

apprentice
apprentice
My impressions,

My background, I'm 20 years veteran RPG player, and a Ex-pro game designer, of Heavyweight studios and a huge Baldur's gate fan.
I'm both excited and slightly disappointed by this gameplay trailer you displayed. But Here's my feedback from the Gameplay trailer.
Despite lack of nostalgia, I hope you can bring great Roleplaygame experience I have been waiting for. Here's my feedback.

Cinematics are definitely up for the Quality finest CGI I have seen. For that, looks promising. If you can capture some kind "sinister" tone in gameplay as well that would be nice. Gameplay cinematics is a nice welcome addition but it lacks polish, quality like Witcher or Dragon Age. (I know it's pre-alpha)

UI is functional but lacks Baldur's gate's over the top artistic touch to it. I'm not saying you should aim for old school UI,
just that give UI bit more "Art of Baldur's Gate style. Try to tone the UI away from "Divinity Design"

Characters who are your companions are currently let's just say mildly, so generic. I wish that there would be much more "colorful" and expressive cast of characters.
I would like that the companions that you have are slightly more insane than these bunch of generic personalities. (Character development can be the thing to redeem those characters you made I hope.)

The tone of Game in gameplay is slightly too silly, don't get me wrong, I don't want, bland realism, but I want a bit more grounded on "realistic approach to fantasy", especially philosophical and violent Baldur's Gate. There can be traversal abilities like jump or climb but try to make their animations look more grounded on reality.
Prince of Persia or uncharted anyone?

stranger
stranger
From the following links, you can see the screen is blocked by other objects when the two characters fell to the ground. Hopefully, this would be fixed.

https://youtu.be/uYSqQuqCAZI?t=2936
https://youtu.be/uYSqQuqCAZI?t=3027

Last edited by IanTheWizard; 28/02/20 02:02 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Couldn't agree more especially with the last part. The general tone of game is too silly - jump or feather fall spell are good idea and will definitelly enrich combat but make it not look like those over the top animations from DOS2. The same goes with spells and class abilities - first level spells or cantrips looked like they've been casted by lvl 40 epic character. On the other hand I've just took a second look at character creator and those characters especially their faces looks georgeus and realistic. Now lets be honest no amount of whining will make Larian Studios to go from turn based to RTwP but I really really hope they will at least adress problem with general aesthetics of this game and get rid of DOS2 vibe.

Last edited by mhroczyn; 28/02/20 09:56 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mhroczyn
The same goes with spells and class abilities - first level spells or cantrips looked like they've been casted by lvl 40 epic character.

Please god more of that.

stranger
stranger
I'd like to be constructive with my feedback here seeing the gameplay video of BG 3. I feel the skills' visual effect design is sacrificing immersion and the great opportunity for design contrast and instead of adding to the game, a lot of the times it detracts from it. Let me explain:

It uses the DOS design decision of using intense magical flashy effects for things totally unrelated to magic.

In the Baldur's Gate III gameplay video: A ranged skill of a marksman that pins down the enemy is a physical skill. It is archery... why is there swirling divine energy around me, why is there a magical soundeffect, why does the impact of a simple well-placed, skillfully shot arrow leave a divine blast of energy and a steel-ish sound? I don't really understand how this elevates the skill. It is like the sound and visual effects totally disregard the skill used (and the nature of the player's class), and instead of supporting the "spirit" of the skill, they go and fight against it.

This is present in DOS as well. Simple physical actions are portrayed with over-the-top visual effects, giving them a magical feel.
There is a warrior's charge, why do we add over-the top magical effects to that? I like my warrior's charge to be physical and powerful and gritty (including both visuals and sound). If I want to use magical spells, I choose a sorcerer. Or a beast jumps to engage the player, why is he jumping with a big swirl of magical energy (for example giant frogs in DOS)? I always felt this distracts and makes a mess of the game on the "feeling" level.

I understand it is giving the player visual feedback but I feel it is sacrificing a whole lot more. The simplicity would acts as a nice counterpoint to all the magic and flashiness, making the world more rounded. The contrast it would provide, I feel... would really elevate this game. (This contrast is present in the classics, I am not sure where did it get lost) Contrast in characters, contrast in environment, contrast of soft and hard, contrast of simple and complicated. Contrast of a gritty warrior, who uses physical strength and skill instead of magic. I have a choice this way.

And the world of the classic Baldur's Gates has this contrast to it, it has a grittiness, that makes it relateable.

I believe there is way to make the sound/visual effects (and animation) work in a way that it works with the nature of the skill and the spirit of Baldur's Gate.

Last edited by Tibovation; 28/02/20 11:24 AM.
stranger
stranger
3, 4 and New Vegas all performed well with the latter proving that you can mix it up drastically and still appeal to the original audience.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard