Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#659524 28/02/20 06:40 PM
Gmazca Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Figured this thread would be a nice change of pace. For those who will still be buying the game, what will your first character be? (Assuming all races and classes from the Player's Handbook are available.)

I'm going to recreate my very first D&D character:

Name: Aelar Val'Torath
Race: Elf (Drow)
Class: Archfey Warlock (Lvl 2) / Lore Bard
Background: Sage

Long story short, he left the Underdark for "reasons" and switched from a Warlock to Bard. Hopefully multiclassing will be included. Since Warlock is available in early access I can at least go that route.

So, what about you guys? Are you going to go with the Origin characters? Or are you more into the custom creation?

veteran
veteran
I did not think it through but I will definitely try a high elf for the free cantrip. I just want to try the mage hand like in the gameplay. Sounds fun.

I will possibly try a druid, bard or a ranger if they actually made the class interesting.

T
T
I have only played 3.5e so I dont know what the difference would be but with that as jumping off point: Wizard (halfling)

In my co-op game I will probably play Bard (human or half-elf).

enthusiast
enthusiast
I want to play a

Name: Bazernic Radesmer
Race: Githyanki
Class: Rogue
Background: Criminal

My very first character will likely be a Wood Elf, Circle of the Land Druid, with the Outlander background.

I however very much hope that DLC's will be released for each of the different books (Eberron, Volo's, Xandathar's, Ravnica, Acquisitions Inc, etc) including their respective content. So that I could play my Yuan-ti Pureblood, Spore Druid, with the Outlander background.

I would start with a character of my own, as I don't like playing with a preset. Plus the backgrounds of the elves we have so far are very unappealing to me.

Name: Ruladre Shimmersong.
Race: Moon elf.
Class: Sorceress.
Background: Adventurer!

I'd go around smooth-talking and abusing high charisma rolls and spell-bursting whenever needed :'3

Last edited by Goldberry; 28/02/20 07:02 PM.
addict
addict
Name: Malik Rhylmur'zz
Race: Drow on tabletop, depends on how races are implemented

This is an hypothetical exercise to happen only if they implement the rules as in the PHB (if it is really going to be TB). I have an Assassin/Fighter/Ranger on tabletop that really needs stealth, surprise and initiative mechanics to work correctly. So the whole team initiative thing kinda screws me over.

Gmazca Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I did not think it through but I will definitely try a high elf for the free cantrip. I just want to try the mage hand like in the gameplay. Sounds fun.

I will possibly try a druid, bard or a ranger if they actually made the class interesting.

The great thing about 5e is, in my opinion, all classes bring something unique to the table. The question is, how much of that will translate to BG3?

A Moon Druid, for example is really amazing. Their shapechange abilities are powerful and versatile. In combat, you can turn into a bear or panther to tank or shred your foes. But more than that, you have the ability to transform out of combat. Let's say there is a crack in a wall that you need to get by...well...transform into a spider and skitter through. But how much will BG3 accommodate that creativity? Only time will tell.

And I consider Lore Bards to be one of the best spellcasters in the game. Their Magical Secrets skill lets them pull spells from other classes, making them one of the most versatile casters. You want to have a bit of healing? Grab Aura of Vitality from the Paladin spells. You want a Familiar? Grab that from the Wizard list.

I admit, I don't have any play time with the ranger class.

Gmazca Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Danielbda

This is an hypothetical exercise to happen only if they implement the rules as in the PHB (if it is really going to be TB). I have an Assassin/Fighter/Ranger on tabletop that really needs stealth, surprise and initiative mechanics to work correctly. So the whole team initiative thing kinda screws me over.

The initiative thing will be concerning for certain builds. I remember hearing that your team's initiative bonus is calculated in the roll, but unless you can create an entire party from scratch, it might be hard to get the bonuses required.

However, it looks like Surprise is working, so you can get the drop on unsuspecting enemies and get that free round of combat.

Last edited by Gmazca; 28/02/20 09:28 PM.
stranger
stranger
Name: Consulor Arkivarie
Race: Half-elf
Class: Knowledge Cleric of Deneir

I'll try to wear light armor and use a bow just for roleplaying reasons. Focusing on charisma, wisdom and intelligence. On a mission to collect knowledge of the old and forgotten races. Loves studying ancient languages. I already kind of have a crush on Shadowheart due to her raven hair and snideness but I worry that her dark characted may be a bit too much to take.

Glad you guys are already making plans for the future playthroughs!

Gmazca Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Consulor

I'll try to wear light armor and use a bow just for roleplaying reasons. Focusing on charisma, wisdom and intelligence. On a mission to collect knowledge of the old and forgotten races. Loves studying ancient languages. I already kind of have a crush on Shadowheart due to her raven hair and snideness but I worry that her dark characted may be a bit too much to take.

Oh man. Knowledge Cleric is one of my favorite underrated classes. I'll definitely be playing one at some point as well. Knowledge is power they say lol.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Gmazca
Originally Posted by Consulor

Oh man. Knowledge Cleric is one of my favorite underrated classes. I'll definitely be playing one at some point as well. Knowledge is power they say lol.

Glad you appreciate my idea!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gmazca
Originally Posted by Danielbda

The initiative thing will be concerning for certain builds. I remember hearing that your team's initiative bonus is calculated in the roll, but unless you can create an entire party from scratch, it might be hard to get the bonuses required.

However, it looks like Surprise is working, so you can get the drop on unsuspecting enemies and get that free round of combat.

Assassins are highly dependant on initiative, since you gain two rounds with advantage (also apparently absent from the game), and you auto-crit in the first one. So you can deal a ton of damage before your enemies can do anything.

Gmazca Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Very true. I wonder how Larian is going to handle the Assassin subclass then. Perhaps they will do something to tip the scales back in their favor?

addict
addict
I did like that you can start combat with one separate character though, this makes it easier for the Assassin to pass the stealth check and surprise the enemies.

I'm going to play a...

Name: Edrick "L" Luminar
Race: Human

When Edrick was a young boy at the age of 6, he was inspired to be an adventurer because his father was one of the human mercenaries that fought in the Battle of Lendon's Dike at Hulburg against a horde of orcs, hobgoblins, ogres and a small group of Warlock Knights. He wanted to follow in his father's footsteps but his father always told him that the life of an adventurer is fraught with danger, and he preferred that Erdrick not become an adventurer so he can rest easy knowing his youngest son is safe. Edrick tried to live up to his father's expectations, staying away from being an adventurer and having a stable job, but eventually Edrick gained a reputation of being difficult to rely on, and soon it got to the point where Edrick could not live a legitimate life because no one wanted to hire him. Eventually he turned to the life of a rogue to get by.

addict
addict
Hard to say.

On one hand, I love creating half-elf, female archers or sorcerers.

But...if there are Dragonborn, would love to create a dragonborn paladin or something too, no matter the gender!
I haven't played much d&d itself so i don't really have any characters i can bring into the game lol. I just started not too long ago so ive been in 1 group, and created a half elf male ranger lol.

If there are no dragonborn, i will cry ;-; (they look pretty cool from what i've seen).
Now...on the other hand, from the trailer it looks like Giths are dragon riders, and if our character can get a dragon later in the game as a gith, well easy choice. but I doubt larian will do that unfortunately.

Might do Origin story stuff after a couple re-plays, mainly a character who i don't pick as a companion so i can see their story in full!

stranger
stranger
If Hexblades are a thing, Hexblade/Paladin/Bard. Time for all the disgusting OP shenanigans I'd never even try on tabletop. Probably half-elf, but if the vampire origin character has a bump to Charisma and can be built from scratch like the folks in D:OS2 I'd go with that.

addict
addict
Doom ( Dwarf Paladin )

Khazadoom ( Multi class ) will have to wait and research 5.0 rules . The last rule set I've played is 3.0 3.5

Nexus ( 2lv Rogue / 18 Wizard )

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
apprentice
apprentice
Name: Fulgor
Race: Half Orc/Orc
Class: aiming for a good front line fighter char build, fighter?paladin? barbarian? not sure yet
Background: not sure yet

Not a D&D player but Im hoping that BG3 will catch my attention to learn/ get into D&D. I always liked the stories surrounding D&D. Btw nice post Gmazca.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard