Print Thread
Page 29 of 95 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 94 95
journeyman
journeyman
Why not simoulataneus turn-based?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Elvenoob
What is this conspiracy theory level reasoning for saying money was their only motivating factor in taking on Baldur's gate 3?

Like, that's not what their comment said, that's not what ANYONE from the company has said.

Yes this is capitalism so all artistic endeavours are polluted by greed to some degree, just like the rest of society, but I really don't think it's as severe in this case as you're making out.

I like how we're all pretending on this thread that Baldur's Gate is a niche series with a small die-hard cult following despite selling millions of copies long before Larian became a household name in the industry. I don't see this as old-fashioned capitalism (whatever you may want to call it) but rather as rent-seeking behavior that overbloated, parasitic companies tend to exhibit (I'm not talking about Larian).

stranger
stranger
I'm happy. RTwP sucks, pausing all the time to micromanage sucks. And if it doesn't need micromanaging, that means it's too easy. So turnbased is better because you need to micromanage but you don't need to spam pause button every second to watch a slide show

S
veteran
veteran
S
>WOTC wants to make money
IQ 180 deducing skills.

but realy, the Mona Lisa was a comission for money.

Not all art is soulless because it was made for comercial reasons, or for that matter, requried comercial success in order to perpetuate itself.
Its a weak argument.

Calling something a cash grab is, again, ridiculous.
A cash grab is quick, cheap and low risk.

This is the opposit of that, they expanded the studio greatly, poured resources into it and are facing a hostile community.
A cash grab would be literaly all the other DnD games that were facebook tier shovelware trash.

That or all the blatant Infinity engine clones living only off peoples nostalgia

Last edited by Sordak; 29/02/20 05:07 PM.
stranger
stranger
For me it's RTwP hands down, it's the reason I liked DOS but didn't love it.

RTwP I find so much more fluid, you can choose to micro manage or not & respond on the fly. It allows for both single enemy fights or huge fights with dozens of oozes or waves of guards. Turn based I find jarring, slow and limiting (most notably you can't really have more than 10 or so combatants). And it limits the number of encounters because the combat phase is so long.

The downside of RTwP for me is it's less true to tabletop; but I do think that can be adjusted if you somehow included, for example, some sort of initiative roles at the start of combat. Nevertheless, I do feel it works better in digital format than turn based.

NB. just my opinion, don't hate me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ardeis
For me it's RTwP hands down, it's the reason I liked DOS but didn't love it.

RTwP I find so much more fluid, you can choose to micro manage or not & respond on the fly. It allows for both single enemy fights or huge fights with dozens of oozes or waves of guards. Turn based I find jarring, slow and limiting (most notably you can't really have more than 10 or so combatants). And it limits the number of encounters because the combat phase is so long.

The downside of RTwP for me is it's less true to tabletop; but I do think that can be adjusted if you somehow included, for example, some sort of initiative roles at the start of combat. Nevertheless, I do feel it works better in digital format than turn based.

NB. just my opinion, don't hate me.

Ahhh, you demand not to be hated! That's impossible, with some people being part of the salt brigade!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sordak
IQ 180 deducing skills.

Not all art is soulless because it was made for comercial reasons, or for that matter, requried comercial success in order to perpetuate itself.
Its a weak argument.

This is the opposit of that, they expanded the studio greatly, poured resources into it and are facing a hostile community.
A cash grab would be literaly all the other DnD games that were facebook tier shovelware trash.

That or all the blatant Infinity engine clones living only off peoples nostalgia

In my view, part of the community is only reciprocating WotC's and Larian's hostility towards the people who are fans of.. well, BG! Perhaps people on the other side of the aisle are too quick to call naysayers "nostalgic" but I'm not sure anyone wants BG3 to be a remake or rehash. The team had ample time to think about what they were going to show us at PAX. Honestly, a cameo or two would have left series veterans thinking "ah, this no longer feels alien to me" but instead it was more like Divinity fans saying to themselves "oh, this is right up my alley". Combat isn't the biggest issue here anymore.

Last edited by korotama; 29/02/20 06:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by korotama
IQ 180 deducing skills.

Its a weak argument.

In my view, part of the community is only reciprocating WotC's and Larian's hostility towards the people who are fans of.. well, BG! Perhaps people on the other side of the aisle are too quick to call naysayers "nostalgic" but I'm not sure anyone wants BG3 to be a remake or rehash. The team had ample time to think about what they were going to show us at PAX. Honestly, a cameo or two would have left series veterans thinking "ah, this no longer feels alien to me" but instead it was more like Divinity fans saying to themselves "oh, this is right up my alley". Combat isn't the biggest issue here anymore.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen this hostility. Where is it?

S
veteran
veteran
S
or the veterans would have complained about nostalgia milking.

Minsc showing up in the forest for no reason would have been even more jarring.
Also every single recurring charcter from BG2 must have quite a few levels under their belt so introducing them early in the game would obviously break the flow of the progression

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
[/quote]

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=656918#Post656918

enthusiast
enthusiast
or the veterans would have complained about nostalgia milking.

Minsc showing up in the forest for no reason would have been even more jarring.
Also every single recurring charcter from BG2 must have quite a few levels under their belt so introducing them early in the game would obviously break the flow of the progression

Perhaps, but then again, why are you worried about progression in a demo build that's supposed to showcase your game outside of a cinematic trailer?

veteran
veteran

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=656918#Post656918[/quote]

I'd argue that's mostly a cheap passive-aggressive way out.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Exactly. Passive-agressive has been the name of the game since June lol.

Last edited by korotama; 29/02/20 06:48 PM.
veteran
veteran

Exactly. Passive-agressive has been the name of the game since June lol.

I mean, ok, perhaps, but it's also a since admission of "you can't make everyone happy"-

enthusiast
enthusiast
No, I guess not but at least they can make Divinity fans happy. I'm happy for them too. laugh

stranger
stranger
I don't usually frequent these forums very often. But I had to come and write abit.

Let me first start by saying, that I played the original BG's on release and that I am a D&D fan. I am most likely due to nostalgia, abit biased towards RTwP. But when looking at this game I think TB makes perfectly sense, this is good progression and it sparks my interest, even more so because I felt like it look like we could do the "If you can think it, you can do it) approach.

I look forward to this game and I trust Larian to do a good job, they actually strike me as a studio that cares about lore and setting, they are a good suit for this. Ty Larian for your tiresome fight to get this into reality, this is something many fans forget, without you we might not have a game like this, nor progression.. What was the alternative? another Dragonspear like game? no ty.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Obviously its not a demo build, its the start of the game.
They are literaly shwoing the first 10 minutes of the game, why put in cameos when you gotta take em out later again? Especialy when youre so early in development

enthusiast
enthusiast
Obviously its not a demo build, its the start of the game.
They are literaly shwoing the first 10 minutes of the game, why put in cameos when you gotta take em out later again? Especialy when youre so early in development

I don't know if that's what game developers normally show off at PAX but that booth was a prime opportunity to put many fans at ease as far as lore continuity, the setting etc. When it comes to cameos, a tutorial area would have fit such a purpose perfectly. I think many people will happily give BG3 a chance regardless of their preferred combat system if it acknowledges past games in some way, form or shape.

stranger
stranger
Speaking for myself, they could have gotten away with tb combat if they had nailed other critical aspects of continuity with the original series. In Kingmaker I turn on the tb mod for difficult fights, because for me it helps with being tactical. I don't dislike it. But they nailed next to nothing, so the tb combat becomes the feather in their cap of failure.

journeyman
journeyman
Failure to meet your individual expectations you mean I guess.

It's funny: reading threads here gives the impression that a majority dislikes the current state of BG3.
Yet, if you read threads on Twitter it's the complete opposite.

It seems that BG grognards (no offense) don't use Twitter too much but prefer to post in forums while more casual (no offense) RPG players seem to use Twitter (and maybe other platforms I don't use frequently).

Also, the mobile version of this forum is really bad, jeez...

Last edited by Boeroer; 01/03/20 06:05 AM.
Page 29 of 95 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard