Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
apprentice
apprentice
I wouldnt be against it but i really dont see how 5e translates to RTwP without massive changes to things that are already in the TB mode or making the game feel incredibly janky if its faithfully put in. It would suck if Both modes had different mechanics than just how the game handles turns but i really dont think there is a good way fit 30ft of movement, multiple attacks, bonus actions, action surge, another attack and another bonus action along with a reaction all in one 6 second turn. Its just not good imo to not have a quick way to translate and make it work and be somewhat balanced and not have to spend a huge amount of development time on it and remaking AI for it.

There is also the worry of when you put official support in you are adding a level of demand of polish and balance. sometimes you can get away by just saying hey its what we added basically offical support for a mod but i really dont see that being the case here with how strong people feel about it and the fight over how the game should be.

I wanted real time originally, but after playing divinity 2 I found out, how fun and complex turned based can be. I do not mind it and I like baldur s gate 3 very much in its current state as well.

The problem, for optional new combat style is, that at the end, it is impossible to balance both.... Real time there is no jump or other actions like dash, the whole battle system has to be redone.
For instance you can face way more enemy with real time combat, and it is less exiting to have only 5 oponnent at one time.
They need only one and it has to be good, they chose turned based, so it will be turned based.
They just need to make it as perfect as possible.

Last edited by Minsc1122; 01/03/20 08:27 PM.
addict
addict
Real time all day.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I did clearly say this would be without doing anything to change the balance of encounters.

Also, I saw an interview somewhere (I can't now find it) where a Larian person said that there is nothing inherent to 5e rules that makes it impossible to use RTwP even if some pieces may be complicated to handle, and it was the strong preference for TB among Larian devs that made Larian choose TB.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Guys:

• Quit with the insults.
  • If you want to turn this into (another) RTwP/TB debate, please use the pinned topic.

Thank you.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
I could not agree more.

Pls larian give us the option for RtWP and work hard on the music. Thank you

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I did clearly say this would be without doing anything to change the balance of encounters.

Also, I saw an interview somewhere (I can't now find it) where a Larian person said that there is nothing inherent to 5e rules that makes it impossible to use RTwP even if some pieces may be complicated to handle, and it was the strong preference for TB among Larian devs that made Larian choose TB.

If you can find the interview at some point i would love to read it. im trying to get as much content and interviews as i can.

I think its fine to not expect balance i just worry about the fandom. im worried about the same thing with PF2 since now its official support of a mod the fans are going to get upset at balance or even just polish. i know i saw RTwP fans getting upset at even the idea of an option because they were worried it would destroy their game even though they said they would only balance around RTwP not TB which struck me as odd. I dont think its impossible to translate it but i do think its harder to translate it and i think it might also require a change to how RTwP works like 10 seconds instead of 6 for a round or a form of action queing so you set up a turn for each person and let it execute in real time ( i would LOVE this even if its like a hybrid TB/RTwP) I have no problem with a RTwP system in addition to TB i just would hate if it wasnt easily translateable and using the same systems as the TB because that wouldnt be fair to the RTwP and would just stall development as they would have to make sure it works on both

Last edited by MadameStrangeluv; 02/03/20 08:05 AM.
Originally Posted by dmsephiroth
I could not agree more.

Please no rtwp. TB is the right way for a dnd game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by ChavaiotH

Originally Posted by vometia
If you want to turn this into (another) RTwP/TB debate, please use the pinned topic.

The pinned topic is here.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
Guys:

• Quit with the insults.
  • If you want to turn this into (another) RTwP/TB debate, please use the pinned topic.

Thank you.

Thank you @vometia.

stranger
stranger
I want rtwp. Except if they make an initiative check for EACH CHARACTER at the beginning of a fight. If not this would be always sneaking to have advantage, sounds silly

veteran
veteran
I could not agree more.

Every D&D games are not called "Baldur's Gate "insert a number""
You have to gave us at least an option for RTwP using this name.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/03/20 05:02 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
Not gonna happen. Larian is a one-trick pony when it comes to gameplay.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Nickolaidas
Originally Posted by Boeroer
I personally wouldn't need it (like I didn't need Turn Based mode for Deadfire) but if it's possible I would totally vote for it. I mean why not? Doesn't hurt to have more options and the more players the better. No idea if it's doable with the very specific game engine Larian uses - but maybe this could come as a patch or DLC? Or would that be off-putting?

It won't salvage anything.

Fanboys will be fanboys.

If Larian changes the battle system, the toxic fanbase will cry about the UI.

If Larian fixes the UI, they will whine about the music.

If Larian changes the music, they will whine about the assets.

If Larian changes the assets, they will whine about the game's tone.

If I was Larian I wouldn't change a single one of those things. It would simply be a waste of time and resources. For changes, I would focus my energy on the gamers who talked about what works and what doesn't in the actual gameplay mechanics used NOW (i.e. shove being overpowered, percentages being misleading, etc.)

biggest strawman here as far as i can see

Last edited by vometia; 06/03/20 02:25 AM. Reason: formatting
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I could not agree more.

Every D&D games are not called "Baldur's Gate "insert a number""
You have to gave us at least an option for RTwP using this name.

No, they don't.

A sequel uses the same WORLD or CHARACTERS as the previous games/books/movies.

Sequels have nothing to do with game mechanics. Do I need to pull out the list of games that switched mechanics, or even GENRES, and were still sequels, again?

Though I guess my argument would be ignored, again, because it can't be refuted.

Last edited by Eguzky; 06/03/20 12:21 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Im up for optional rtwp, not for a total overhaul so rtwp can be the main thing coz I see BG3 as most true D&D entry game & from what Im seeing Larian also wants BG3 to be a D&D game.

stranger
stranger
yeah... no - bg series were about one certain person and his/her destiny. from start to the end. that got concluded in bg;tob

other great series with STORY connecting them is mass effect - your choices from ME1 made difference all the way until the end in ME3

sequel with same WORLD would be fallout 1 & 2 - but you still had STORY in it tying it together

for now i don't see how bg3 is connected to previous games, which i guess is what ppl expect for no. 3 in the title.

veteran
veteran
The thing about an optional RTwP is the resources that would go into it. You would also need to rebalance the game for the RTwP mode. I would much rather those hours went into character development, side quest implementation, spell implementation.

The thing about BG2 was that it gave you everything but the kitchen sink. Nearly every magic item in the rule books, huge chunk of spells, so many side quests . . .

I think the RTwP fans should start lobbying WoTC to use the PoE engine for BG4.

addict
addict
I personally have gravitated to game mechanics that are used in games like, Dark Souls 3

Love me some Dark souls, I wish Software would make a dnd game with their engine as well.

I like the feeling of running up and smacking the %$#$ out of monsters, as well tactics, trust me if you have never played dark souls zerging will only get you killed. So you can definitely be tactical in a free flowing combat, real time combat game.

Sorry if this was off topic, love me dark souls 3

- Doom

Last edited by Doomlord; 06/03/20 01:24 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Doomlord
I personally have gravitated to game mechanics that are used in games like, Dark Souls 3

Love me some Dark souls, I wish Software would make a dnd game with their engine as well.

I like the feeling of running up and smacking the %$#$ out of monsters, as well tactics, trust me if you have never played dark souls zerging will only get you killed. So you can definitely be tactical in a free flowing combat, real time combat game.

Sorry if this was off topic, love me dark souls 3

- Doom

I'd want this with working multiplayer (None of the invasion BS of Dark Souls. I want to play with my friends, not be punished by minmaxers & cheaters for doing so).
That way I could have my own aparty with my friends; a warrior, a ranger, a sorcerer..

Last edited by Eguzky; 06/03/20 01:43 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard