Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I mentioned this in a previous post, but I thought it worth a thread.
Larian probably would hate us already, with the many requests we already made, although I still love them, I also would not want them to be overwhelmed with new stuff to develop. xD

If we are playing multiplayer, we would actually do the same as well. Each of us moves a party member at the same time.
When we face more than 7-8 enemies, I would consider moving 2 enemies at the same time, and technically with team initiative, it should be compatible.
The two closest one, so they are visible for the player.

Maybe it has engine limitation or AI limitation, I just wanted to mention this option to make some of the huge combats with 30 members feel a bit shorter in a turned
based system, this allows some longer spell animations for enemies as well which was mentioned at:
( http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=660355#Post660355 - Spell-incantation Turned based solution )

What do you think?

Last edited by Minsc1122; 02/03/20 12:45 PM.
veteran
veteran
Balance. How would that affect it?

OP Offline
AI is not ready yet, so we do not know what will happen, when it is ready.
They probably decide individually, who does what for now.

So does the AI make a group strategy or just runs characters by order of initiative and decides what to do?
If the AI would be able to see what happens beforehand, see the damage, that is about to be calculated,
and decide the next action based on that for the next character. it is okay.

It is also an option, that they move together to attack someone even if one of them was enough, the other one will just
move to the new target. After all in battle you do not know what happens in the future, who will be killed or not, only in turned based,
how much soldiers you need to take on someone.

Also we do not know how AI affect performance, maybe they also take half second for each stunned people in divinity 2, because
they need some time to calculate the action of the next Character in big battles.

I personally would not mind a bit unbalance in AI if it could make a 1 hour battle 30 min long.

S
veteran
veteran
S
It appears that the players will already do this.

as for enemies, i suppose they dont do this for clarities sake, but id like it as an option to enable it.

Now, the downside to this is that it all looks very chaotic and its hard to keep track of what enemeis are doing. But for an option, especialy for a second or third playthrough in multiplayer, id like that

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sordak
It appears that the players will already do this.

As for enemies, i suppose they dont do this for clarities sake, but id like it as an option to enable it.

Now, the downside to this is that it all looks very chaotic and its hard to keep track of what enemeis are doing. But for an option, especialy for a second or third playthrough in multiplayer, id like that

Yeah.
- Thats why I thought that limiting it to 2 is still okay, and only for big battles. They could even wait a bit to each other with hitting, or shooting the spell, but they would at least finish most part of the moving.
I do not like when I have to wait the enemy who are close to each other moving towards me one by one, it takes a bit long time and it is not the best to die after
1 hour of fight.

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
I would like the option of all enemies to move and act simultaneously and instantaneously. Zero time wasted on watching enemies doing anything.

That will break the rules. Just an option for faster enemy moves will do it fine.
I want to play a dnd 5 edition turn based game and no fast hybrid.

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Originally Posted by ChavaiotH
That will break the rules. Just an option for faster enemy moves will do it fine.
I want to play a dnd 5 edition turn based game and no fast hybrid.

No it won't. You don't have to use the option if you don't want to.

I have suggested this too.
Enemy pawns attack simultaneously main character after his TURN / ROUND has ended.
Gameplay could be more faster and dynamic.
Irenicus dungeon had about 15 encounters. Having that encounters in BG3 would take too long.

[Linked Image]

apprentice
apprentice
The game may well know the outcome of the enemy attacks before it's animated, so no reason to animate them one at a time if that's the case. If they all act in unison it's just a matter of clarity for the players to know what happened.

Another suggestion for optional gameplay.

Turns become rounds as optional mode when every pawn (enemy or player) does not stop, rather time passing is set with scale of 0.1, 0.5, 0.8 ...
Setting time to 0 means every pawns are still (like in turn based system).

When combat starts, setting time pass to 0.5 makes every enemy pawn and player's party do theirs action at half the time than player's time pass.

That will make every enemy pawn and player's party move simultaneously with some time shift and do their action.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard