Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 61 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 60 61
addict
addict
Well, thank for providing an answer that makes sense to you. But, looking over what you wrote in the other thread you linked to, I will just say that I really don't think there is anything more I can say to you on the subject except ... and I am not trying to be harsh ... don't ever expect anything to bring back the "feel" of that game (as you perceive it).

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Well, thank for providing an answer that makes sense to you. But, looking over what you wrote in the other thread you linked to, I will just say that I really don't think there is anything more I can say to you on the subject except ... and I am not trying to be harsh ... don't ever expect anything to bring back the "feel" of that game (as you perceive it).

Yeah you are probably right about that - BG3 just wont be as good.

On the other hand, every year or two I do find a great game that captures that old magical feeling, so all is not lost.

addict
addict
Cheers

apprentice
apprentice
Again unless you have been living under a rock, it was written in the stars that BG3 was going to look alot like DOS visually, but not lore and rules. Based on the many interviews with larian studios and wizards of the coast. They came to an agreement that they will improve on the DOS style and at the same time keep the integrity of the lore and 5th edition rules. I wasn't surprised because I actually followed the game from the beginning. And honestly they improved the BG series greatly by doing so. So market wise and reputation their infact. They know this will sell, and they also know there will always be a minority who will disagree. Sorry you have to live with it. There are options like pathfinder wrath of the righteous that will bring your nostalgia. Go play that

stranger
stranger
Definitely going to be Baldur’s Gate 3. The game is using a lot of assets from DOS in the demo we saw, but that will change with time. It’s already been addressed in these forums.

S
veteran
veteran
S
people thinking its an upgrade to OS2 are unhinged.
and if it was marketed as this people would be pisses off just as much as i tis nothing like it in terms of the character classes and combat skills

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
people thinking its an upgrade to OS2 are unhinged.
and if it was marketed as this people would be pisses off just as much as i tis nothing like it in terms of the character classes and combat skills

I mean, technically it is, if you think of the engine.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Explosing barrels in every room, UI, graphics, gameplay, color, start on a beach, target line, fire trap, assets, game cover, grease everywhere, the way you move objects, ...... Do you need more exemple ?

The UI is a work in progress, as is the game itself. The build in the presentation didn't have the save system implemented yet. When Early Access started for D:OS and D:OS 2 there was stub text, a few pieces of equipment with incomplete descriptions and a few missing inventory icons, etc.
In BG3 that is a riverbank, actually. There are lots of games that start with characters being in prison, amnesia, a peaceful village being attacked, etc, but that's not much of an argument that the games are the same.
Are you suggesting that BG3 should not indicate if and where an attack is blocked because D:OS 2 did so?
I'm pretty sure traps are part of DnD, as well.
Other games were you can move objects in almost the exact same way (no rotation) include Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. D:OS 2 did not let you climb onto objects (you could sit on a chair stacked on top of other items if it wasn't too high, but you couldn't use this for exploring, etc).

S
veteran
veteran
S
then Technically in Baldurs Gate you can turn into a Dragon and fly around with a Jetpack...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kyrthorsen
I have asked this question so many times and have not gotten an answer. What would make this game more "BG" aside from RTwP? Darker colors? Really?

Yeah definitely a tweak in the art style towards a more menacing dark look would be a step in the right direction.

Im not sure what else the devs could change at this point since the game is copy/paste DOS2.

The interface change would go a long way.
Back to the more simpler and less colorful icons. The oak/stone UI look.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Yeah definitely.

addict
addict
Raze already stated in at least on other thread that the UI will be changed/tweaked once the underlying mechanics have been "finalised".

A lot of what you see is placeholder, it's just relatively polished placeholder and as such it's easy to assume that that is final.

It has also been stated that there will be graphical enhancements before release as well.

As for what makes BG BG stylistically, well the Infinity Engine approach has a lot to do with it. Painted assets giving a false painted reality look. Muted colours, though not necessarily dark or without colour just more of a matte filter.

3D modelled games have always been shinier. Even Witcher 3 is vibrant and full of colour for such a dour story.

That said ignoring placeholder assets in UI and world, the main characters showcased so far look a little too "new". Like thy stepped out of a comic con. Witcher the Netflix TV series was given the same criticism, costumes and style looked too much like a tv set and less like a lived in world.

Spiderman on the PS4 - Vibrant (it's super heroes!), but you start off in this worn out suit and you work at getting it patched up or replaced. It's a nice touch but it meade me feel like I was playing a Spiderman that had already been around all the blocks multiple times.

Here, in the Demo and I stress DEMO, the main character (Astarion) comes out of a crash looking pristine and Shadowheart already has back what looks like all her gear. Now we didn't see the tutorial, so we comment on this DEMO scene as being the "opening". But if we have just been through (proverbial) Hell, like Shadowheart puts it, make it look that way, because BG never felt clean, even though it is still High Fantasy.

It feels old, from the stone UI to dirty boots and rusty swords and whilst colour is good, sun is good ( I don't need constant grimdark), different settings are good, lived in is better. Does that make sense?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Riandor
Here, in the Demo and I stress DEMO, the main character (Astarion) comes out of a crash looking pristine and Shadowheart already has back what looks like all her gear. Now we didn't see the tutorial, so we comment on this DEMO scene as being the "opening". But if we have just been through (proverbial) Hell, like Shadowheart puts it, make it look that way, because BG never felt clean, even though it is still High Fantasy.

Fair criticism. Some ripped up clothes for the start would be more appropriate and a dirty or grimy facade such as in God of War would be nice.

BG2 wasn't capable of showing the level cleanliness or dirtiness that BG3 can, so not that fair to compare the two.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Riandor

Fair criticism. Some ripped up clothes for the start would be more appropriate and a dirty or grimy facade such as in God of War would be nice.

BG2 wasn't capable of showing the level cleanliness or dirtiness that BG3 can, so not that fair to compare the two.

BG2 wasn't able to graphically show it, but it felt textually real thanks to the painted look of the artwork and you imagined the rest when it came to inventory screens.
Again Witcher 3 does a good job of making the characters clothes feel textually grounded, but again we are comparing finished product vs demo and D&D, even Baldur's Gate, has always had flamboyancy in clothing, style over function, but "personally" it could do with feeling/looking a little more worn ;-)

Last edited by Riandor; 04/03/20 03:30 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
>NOBLE
>Elf
>Dressed in rags
Bruh, hes been captured by mindflayers, he wasnt thrown in the dungeon by the local lord

the absolute seethe over minor details is realy amusing

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Explosing barrels in every room, UI, graphics, gameplay, color, start on a beach, target line, fire trap, assets, game cover, grease everywhere, the way you move objects, ...... Do you need more exemple ?

The UI is a work in progress, as is the game itself. The build in the presentation didn't have the save system implemented yet. When Early Access started for D:OS and D:OS 2 there was stub text, a few pieces of equipment with incomplete descriptions and a few missing inventory icons, etc.
In BG3 that is a riverbank, actually. There are lots of games that start with characters being in prison, amnesia, a peaceful village being attacked, etc, but that's not much of an argument that the games are the same.
Are you suggesting that BG3 should not indicate if and where an attack is blocked because D:OS 2 did so?
I'm pretty sure traps are part of DnD, as well.
Other games were you can move objects in almost the exact same way (no rotation) include Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. D:OS 2 did not let you climb onto objects (you could sit on a chair stacked on top of other items if it wasn't too high, but you couldn't use this for exploring, etc).

Ah, the start in prison, a staple of Bethesda

stranger
stranger
Oh Helloo Larian, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORVHGkEn58

There you can see a real good RPG which looks kinda familiar with baldurs gate, good music, effects and fun gameplay.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by dmsephiroth
Oh Helloo Larian, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORVHGkEn58

There you can see a real good RPG which looks kinda familiar with baldurs gate, good music, effects and fun gameplay.

Y-YYES!!!

Lead evil by example and one day we need no longer take the boots to those who stray off the path of goodness in to the muck and bile of villainy, and track great bloody footprints across our lily white tiles! Boo will have clean woodshavings you evil bastards! YEARGH!

addict
addict
Yeah, that looks more of the old BG games. Larian doesn't make those kind of games, though. And apparently, WotC doesn't want it either.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Pathfinder: Kingmaker was great (at least after a year of bugfixing) and sequel looks great too. You still have couple days chance to back it in Kickstartter, I got myself a collectors edition. However, it's very iterative in it's approach. It doesn't do much beyond what Baldur's Gate did 20 years ago. Sure it does graphics and game mechanics better, but there is very little new in there. Will it be the title all other cRPGs are compared to for the next 20 years? I doubt it. Baldur's Gate III on the other hand is stretching the limits what can be done in cRPG. The interactivity with environment, different approaches you can take to each situation etc. That's something new. It's more riskier take, but it has a chance to be that title that will be talked for 20 years. I'm glad we are getting both, rather than two similar games.

Page 12 of 61 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard