#660930 03/03/20 06:10 PM
T
Tomice Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
TLDR:
The interface as it was shown mixes all kinds of actions in a single hotbar, even though there are three distinct groups of actions that are completely independent.
A clearer interface would not only help newcomers, but also speed up decisions. It could also potentially solve the reaction dilemma that threatens to bog down the game if done wrong.

In D&D 5e, there are 3 main types of "actions":
Normal actions (Attacking, casting a spell, drinking a potion,...)
Bonus actions (attack with an off-hand-weapon, shove someone with a shield, some spells,...)
Reactions (attack of opportunity, counterspell,...) - they often become available on an enemy turn and need to be triggered quickly!
Plus there's a pool of movement points (usually 30 feet)

Only normal actions and movement are always available, bonus actions and reactions have prerequisites (having an off-hand weapon, being in the right position, an enemy that casts a spell,...).
You have a maximum of 1 action per type: 1 Action, 1 bonus action, 1 reaction.

Here's an article explaining it in more depth:
https://www.hipstersanddragons.com/maximising-bonus-actions-and-reactions/

Why do I tell you this?
The current interface mixes all kinds of actions in a single bar:

[Linked Image]

If we get precisely one action of each type and they can't usually be converted, why should they share the same interface element?
--> I strongly suggest separate areas in the UI for the 3 action types!

Take a look on this note from P&P:
Image somehow isn't shown here...

Experienced players carefully choose their skills and spells with regard to the action economy.
They create combos that work well together to maximize their turn.
There's no point in having a dozen great "normal actions" available, if you have no bonus actions or reactions ready. Your turn will be lackluster and boring even if you choose the right "normal action".

On a related note:
Reactions are not even implemented yet. The devs fear that giving each player a few seconds time when a reaction becomes available would slow the game down too much, especially multiplayer.

Here's a suggestion for them (in line with the suggestion above):
- Reactions get their own small menu (doesn't make sense to mix them with abilities you can trigger during your own turn!)
- Each reaction should have three settings: OFF - AUTO - MANUAL

- OFF means it's deactivated and never triggers
- MANUAL means you get a popup with 3 seconds to react
- AUTO means the reaction is triggered whenever its conditions apply

- Each reaction should have a default setting chosen by the devs (AUTO for attack of opportunity, MANUAL for counterspell,...)
- In multiplayer, the game host could get an option to only allow the "dev choice" to make the game more fluid.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tomice; 03/03/20 09:38 PM.
Tomice #661155 04/03/20 10:27 AM
Support
Support

There are updates to the UI in the works. In general the underlying mechanics need to be implemented and tested before too much work is put into the UI, or any changes in the mechanics could require changes to the UI, as well.

Tomice #661180 04/03/20 12:04 PM
stranger
stranger
In reddit one user make some changes in 5 min to make tu interface closer to BG. Also, im sure there will be mods to make it if Larian decides to break 100% with the BG classic interface and keep this more MMORPG option. Also will be mods to have the possibility of a group of 6 and not to be forced to the classic: tank, healer, rogue, archer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/fawjw3/my_gui_edit_to_make_it_feel_more_bg_than_dos/

I think its sth easy to do: portraits at the right. Not digital faces just paints also with the possibility to add the one you like, use the same icons as before. Use the classic icons. I think people will be happy with it.

And also, use latin for spells!:

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

Briche #661185 04/03/20 12:14 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Briche

And also, use latin for spells!:

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

These are the ones from the original BG.
I do not know latin, but I remember the spoken words and this is the first time I see the translation.
It would definitely help to make the game feel more like the original BG1+2.

I think a DSA game (Realms of Arcadia trilogy or Drakensang, not sure) had unique latin words for every spell, as witten in the manual of this game.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Raze #661196 04/03/20 12:41 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

There are updates to the UI in the works. In general the underlying mechanics need to be implemented and tested before too much work is put into the UI, or any changes in the mechanics could require changes to the UI, as well.

Thanks for the info.
I believe many were thinking that this was what was happening, but with a game perhaps looking more complete than expected at this stage (thanks to assett borrowing), the fear was that the whole look and feel was too much of a departure.

As someone who has designed games (not computer) in the past, and made the mistake of spending too much time on the look of character sheets etc before the systems were finalised, I understand the approach.

Think poor Swen might have saved himself some Internet baklash if he had mentioned that a lilttle more in his demo, but when you have limited time and are excited to show off mechanics, this can get lostin the presentation (after all he did mention at points how things were placeholder).

As for the spells, well again, almost nothing we saw was final there, but if you are still undecided, then I agree that the voicing of the spells to fit the series so far would be great, though I personally am not against expanding on the 8 commands.

Raze #661197 04/03/20 12:49 PM
journeyman
journeyman

Would be nice to see some callbacks to BG1/2 in the UI design. Obviously not in any ways to this game's detriment, but perhaps in style (art and layout both) that don't clash horrendously with Larian's overall consistency with the game's style.

If there is to be minimal narrative connection (not saying that's the case, just don't know, but available interviews suggest, but not confirm, it's minimal), a more visual connection can have a significant impact on that feeling that this is indeed the next Baldur's Gate game.

Not at all suggesting trying to translate the UI from BG1/2 in any functional or direct sense, just visual callbacks and hints of what came before without sacrificing the utility and function of this game.

Tomice #661204 04/03/20 01:44 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
>latin
Why?
why would you use latin?

I mean i guess Forgotten Realms was connected to earth by potals in the time of ancient egyptians, btu seriosuly why latin?
The latin language doesnt exist in FR.

This always bothered me and baldurs gate isnt the only series that did it.
I always considered it realy cheap when fantasy games did that, the Disciples series comes to mind

Last edited by Sordak; 04/03/20 01:45 PM.
Sordak #661207 04/03/20 01:54 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
>latin
Why?
why would you use latin?

I mean i guess Forgotten Realms was connected to earth by potals in the time of ancient egyptians, btu seriosuly why latin?

I always considered it realy cheap when fantasy games did that, the Disciples series comes to mind

I'd use Elvish personally for Arcane Spells and Celestial for Divine Spells.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by Sordak
>latin
Why?
why would you use latin?

I'd use Elvish personally for Arcane Spells and Celestial for Divine Spells.

Dark Speech!

Raze #661298 04/03/20 06:23 PM
T
Tomice Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T

Oh, nice to see a dev response to my humble suggestions! cool
Looking forward to early access!

Last edited by Tomice; 04/03/20 06:30 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard