Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
I am just curious where in any of what I wrote that you concluded I was asking for a continuation of the story line?

journeyman
journeyman
The post above mine. And in many others scattered across this forum.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Oh, I see now.

No, I don't think a continuation of the story line is necessary, or even desirable. I like what Adam Smith had to say about how the events of the Bhaalspawn saga will shape the history and politics of Faerun. In this, I can understand to a degree that this game is a sequel, just not in the traditional sense. I can relate to the people saying "what about renaming it to BG: Something Something?" I think that is a good solution for two reasons: 1) it makes everyone happy for not a ton of money in the grand scheme, 2) it leaves the door open for a proper, traditional sequel with an RTwP style - either way, it marks this new game as something new and unique, which I think we all can agree that it is.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Melkyor95

The first obvious ingredients are:
- D&D rules
- the Forgotten Realms
- a story which has a relation with the previous BG if not why the 3?

Fine. But the inclusion of the second can satisfy the third to a certain degree.

In the useful ingredients to strengthen the identity of BG, I would put:
- rtwp fights (much more dynamic and demanding than TB)
- 6 characters
- numerous references to the previous saga

The third is the stongest of the three, the second very unnecessary, and the first one ...well, sure more like the originals, but less like D&D, as has been discussed elsewhere.

In the ingredients that have nothing to do in the BG franchise:
- a universe and a gameplay too marked by another license (big problem of identity!)

Agreed. Good thing none of that will apply with BG3, since it is based on the universe, gameplay and license of D&D

- a story that has absolutely nothing in common with previous games

Agreed (but redundant). Again, though, it can be connected simply for being in the same environment (an environment shaped by the events of the first stories)

- half-respected D&D rules (with ignored, neglected and other invented rules)

Agreed, but it's tough to define. The whole 'house rules' thing leaves a lot of room for variety.

- designers and developers who have neither a real desire to respect the BG franchise nor the talent necessary to succeed in making a quality game, well written and with a BG identity.

Agreed, which is why I am glad that Larian, a team with both the requisite desire, respect, and ability, is making the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Emrikol
When I was seven, I didn't want to take a shower. I protested and protested. My mom yelled at me and made me get in the bathroom. So I went in the bathroom, turned the shower on, and stood by the sink. Figured that would show her. But after a while, I figured, I was standing there, might as well be in the shower. After 30 minutes of splashing around and having fun, she's banging on the door yelling at me to get out.

I suspect you and your gang of upset buddies will be doing lots of splashing around in BG3.

Oh okay... For you it's not about passion but childish complaints.
Thanks to show you just don't understand what this topic (and many others) is talking about.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/03/20 05:20 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Quit sniping, guys.

J'aime le fromage.
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by vometia
Quit sniping, guys.

I'm sorry if we've been sniping. I did ask them to stop fighting on the last page.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Oh okay... For you it's not about passion but childish complaints.
Thanks to show you just don't understand what this topic (and many others) is talking about.

This doesn't make any sense.

And as for what you quoted, it was a real experience from my childhood I was reminded of when you said:

Everyone is happy to see a new D&D video game but if it stay more DoS than BG while being named BG3, I hope the worst because they'll definitely ruined my old dreams.

But, maybe you didn't mean to say you hope the worst (presumably for the success and development of the game) because you don't like how they're developing it. If you did, do you not realize how that sounds? And to say they "ruined [your] old dreams" is a bit melodramatic.

In any event, sorry if I insulted you.

veteran
veteran
You just don't have the same experience/feelings about Baldur's Gate than everyone (and I'm not saying mye though is universal).
If it stays like this and is still named BG3 yes, I hope the worst because they took nothing from BG and just use the name (and numbers) for THE DREAM it represents. Please stop being patronizing, dream is the word.
I can't agree with that if we're talking of THE BG3.

That's enough for me here, as they said this is not constructive.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/03/20 06:53 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Neverwinter nights 2 was not a continuation of whatever NWN was about, exactly the same circumstance than with BG3 now. Yet I enjoyed NWN 2 (well, the expansions really) a lot more than NWN because the game design was more aimed at people like myself, a fan of IE and other RPG games from that era. I don't care if they'd called NWN2 BG3 when the game was enjoyable, no matter its differences to the original game(s).

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 05/03/20 06:51 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
You just don't have the same experience/feelings about Baldur's Gate than everyone.
If it stays like this and is still named BG3 yes, I hope the worst because they took nothing from BG and just use the name (and numbers) for THE DREAM it represents. Please stop being patronizing, dream is the word.

Dude you need to play other games, youre being possessive.

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
You just don't have the same experience/feelings about Baldur's Gate than everyone.

Dude you need to play other games, youre being possessive.

Who is more possessive? The one who already has a thing and is saying "hey, don't do that to my thing" or the one doing the thing to the thing and saying "no, it's mine now"?

No one is saying the new game is bad or shouldn't be made, but it is not "BG3" in spirit, it is only BG3 in name.

Last edited by kungfukappa; 05/03/20 07:48 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kungfukappa

No one is saying the new game is bad or shouldn't be made, but it is not "BG3" in spirit, it is only BG3 in name.

I don't really think the distinction is important unless you're a raging fanboy and raging fanboys can rarely be pleased, so since Larian just can't win you guys over it's only logical they shouldn't even try. I did like that story about childhood shower time, it was a pretty spot on allegory to you guys, hah.

veteran
veteran

I don't really think the distinction is important unless you're a raging fanboy and raging fanboys can rarely be pleased, so since Larian just can't win you guys over it's only logical they shouldn't even try. I did like that story about childhood shower time, it was a pretty spot on allegory to you guys, hah.

Ok so if distinction is not important. Why don't they call it "Baldur's Gate : ..." ?

Raging fanboys as you call them (us) wouldn't rage if it was not BG"3".
But the only thing you're going to answer is "D&D rules + Forgotten Realms" again... While we explains why it is not a "3" according to us.

Everyone could be happy with Larian doing a new D&D game but the "3" is not important for lots of you.
That's the only reasons players are talking about "it's more.DoS than BG", "it's not enough BG" and.discuss about nearly everything.

With another name players finding this game looks cool would just talk about it.

You.don't have to understand why lots of fans are unhappy, you just have to admit it...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/03/20 10:20 AM.

journeyman
journeyman

Ok so if distinction is not important. Why don't they call it "Baldur's Gate : ..." ?

Marketing reasons. I'm fine with that and I suppose most people are. It's just a minor but apparently very vocal group who have apparently elevated Baldur's Gate into an abstract concept that when messed with will bring their wrath upon message boards all over the internet, hah.

If the game is bad, you don't have to play it. I haven't read the Dune books written after Daddy Herbert's death, but they take nothing away from my enjoyment of the originals. I just pretend they don't exist. Then again I enjoyed Fallout New Vegas and NWN2 despite both being sequels with fairly little in common with their predecessors.

Then again I'm not a self proclaimed GAMER nor a fanboy, so maybe my mature view of these things is unfathomable to you.

veteran
veteran
What's finee for you is not always for the others.

On a recent poll on the biggest french video game website...
23% said they are hyped.
29% said they are interrested but waited to see more
18% said they don't like what they see
30% said something like they don't care about the game

If you consider only players interrested in BG3, it looks like nearly 1/4 is not satisfy and nearly 1/2 is not convince atm.
But you can stay in your own reality wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/03/20 11:57 AM.

veteran
veteran
What's finee for you is not always for the others.

On a recent poll on the biggest french video game website...
23% said they are hyped.
29% said they are interrested but waited to see more
30% said something like they don't care about the game

If you consider only players interrested in BG3, it looks like nearly 1/4 is not satisfy and nearly 1/2 is not convince atm.
But you can stay in your own reality wink

That's such a dumb way to poll LOL I mean, why even include the latest option? if you're not interested you're not gonna answer!

veteran
veteran
They did it because it's a poll on their community general forum after the big cover they did.
On the specific forum of BG3, it's 30% that says they are unhappy by Larian's direction for BG.

Anyway, you still have the stats if you convert the % excluded last answer.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/03/20 12:14 PM.

addict
addict

But without detail that could be anything from TB vs RTwP, Party Size, Art, UI, Game Engine, Music... blah blah blah. That means that by changing one thing you could make 18% into 5% or only from 18 to 17%. The number by itself says nothing. The positive aspect is slightly more helpful and the 29% are the most interesting because they could go either way depending on what changes happen between now and release.

journeyman
journeyman
They did it because it's a poll on their community general forum after the big cover they did.
On the specific game of BG3, it's 30% that says they are unhappy by Larian's direction for BG.

no, 18 percent said that they are unhappy with what Larian has put up. 30% said they don't care about the game, no reason given.

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 05/03/20 12:03 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard