Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat...bert_senior_designer_asked_if_he_played/

article in English:

https://gamingbolt.com/baldurs-gate...ey-find-the-real-time-pause-system-messy

Larian needs to put a muzzle on people if they want this game to succeed, honestly, because each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG and show more and more how this is just a cash grab to push more DOS games.

This interview sealed the coffin for me. I will not be buying. Larian is now on my boycott list with Bethesda/Zenimax, EA, Ubisoft, and Blizzard/Activision.

Last edited by kungfukappa; 06/03/20 06:42 AM.
veteran
veteran
Yea that is all except good points.
I'm not sure I'll buy ore not but the way it seems they take is not.engaging for me.

BG is not only D&D, a far link with the story and the city...
If this is what they think, they just don't understand why BG was so sucessfull.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can't find where they said they hadn't played BG 1/2. They just said RTWP was messy. It was a bit messy at times, the path finding was hilarious. Maybe they could build a better system for it now, but they decided to go with what they knew best, so they wouldn't need to deal with all that.

A
addict
addict
A
I'm really in shocked now. So they themselves hated baldurs gate and they want to do a sequel to it? That's really shameful

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kungfukappa

This interview sealed the coffin for me. I will not be buying. Larian is now on my boycott list with Bethesda/Zenimax, EA, Ubisoft, and Blizzard/Activision.

Classic overreaction.

Also if you are already posting here the probability is high that you buy it anyway if its good. Will you eat your hat (or your cat) if you do?

Also your title is wrong maybe you did not even read the interview he said he played BG2.
Maybe you should change title else this is intentional misinformation.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay, so this game is being marketed to fans of D&D. What about people who play the Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, action RPGs etc.? Is their patronage so irrelevant as to hinder any attempt to reach such audiences?

veteran
veteran
What he ACTUALLY said:

“I’m critical of real-time-with-pause because I think that it looks messy. It’s like a miss, pause, give three orders, a miss, pause,” Imbert told PC Gamer. “Also, I don’t believe that sticking to the old system can expand to a greater audience. The thing with turn-based logic is that everybody understands it. It’s my turn, it’s your turn. And we have this experience with it—it worked for us with DOS1, it worked for us with DOS2, and D&D is turn-based. Your characters are the tools you’ll use to solve a puzzle, and the puzzle is a lot more messy if everything is moving at the same time.”

So, congrats for the clickbait and #alternativefacts title. You deserve a ban.

EDIT: in the french article, he says that while Swen knows by heart the BG system, he was busy playing Final fantasy. Not that he didn't play BG.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 06/03/20 08:38 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
So basically OP made this up on spot. and deliberatley misrepresents the combat designer.

And then spergs go on a HUGE outrage spergout.

Honestly at this point this blatant lying is getting out of hand, people dont even check the article and report this as facts.
tbh get rid of people like that.

Ive seen this happen to other games. Elderscrolls online is still reviled in the elderscrolls community to this day because of blatant lies (about the lore) that were circulating in its beta phase.
if you fuck this up you wont recover from the shitstorm

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
So basically OP made this up on spot. and deliberatley misrepresents the combat designer.

And then spergs go on a HUGE outrage spergout.

Honestly at this point this blatant lying is getting out of hand, people dont even check the article and report this as facts.
tbh get rid of people like that.

Ive seen this happen to other games. Elderscrolls online is still reviled in the elderscrolls community to this day because of blatant lies (about the lore) that were circulating in its beta phase.
if you fuck this up you wont recover from the shitstorm

I thought it was reviled because you know, it's not a terribly fun game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sordak
Honestly at this point this blatant lying is getting out of hand

Quite. Closing this until I get feedback from the relevant people.

Edit: having considered the matter I will leave the topic open for now, but I would suggest fact-checking before making bold assertions.

Last edited by vometia; 06/03/20 09:00 AM.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Especially D&D simulates realtime... Obviously it has to be turn-based as pen&paper. That argument that also D&D is turn based is really rubbish. Let me tell you a secret, videogames are very good in showing Realtime.

veteran
veteran
I'll give you a fact acfter I checked :

No one said in french (quote from Dark_Ansem)
"Swen knows by heart the BG system".

It says "We have big fans, whose Swen himself, that knows by heart the world of Baldur's Gate".

(world in not really the word, in french it's "univers" but universe in EN is not really the same, we can translate by "lore", but certainly not by system or mecanics)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 09:11 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Support
Support

each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG

I hate to break this to you, but there are fans of BG 1 and 2 who think RTwP is messy. There are fans who like RTwP combat and still think it can get messy.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG

I hate to break this to you, but there are fans of BG 1 and 2 who think RTwP is messy. There are fans who like RTwP combat and still think it can get messy.

And did you ever think about HOW you can get it less "messy" ?
HOW you could have created a total new kind of games that fits with the rules and Baldur's Gate ?
(as you did for TB with DoS)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 09:40 AM.

journeyman
journeyman
https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat...bert_senior_designer_asked_if_he_played/

article in English:

https://gamingbolt.com/baldurs-gate...ey-find-the-real-time-pause-system-messy

Larian needs to put a muzzle on people if they want this game to succeed, honestly, because each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG and show more and more how this is just a cash grab to push more DOS games.

Will you stop posting as well?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

Mr. Imbert seems a little prejudiced, which I think will hurt this game whenever it comes out.

stranger
stranger
Not surprised. Larian has never struck me as real RPG fans. I mean, the first Divinity was a Diablo clone.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jezeus
Not surprised. Larian has never struck me as real RPG fans. I mean, the first Divinity was a Diablo clone.

Such were Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance I + II, i dont know why this
should be worth mentioning.

veteran
veteran
Bah. False title. More like senior designer explains why they picked Turn Based over RTwP.

journeyman
journeyman
The real reason is "we had an already working system and we didn't even consider using realtime"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard