Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#661913 06/03/20 09:29 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I was wondering if any Bioware Baldur's gate employee had disclosed reactions to BG3 being made by Larian rather by them.

veteran
veteran
Everyone is happy BG3 is not in Bioware's hands, maybe they are too smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 09:31 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I asked for THEIR reactions, not yours.

veteran
veteran
I can read... This was a joke, don't be so serious wink

I let you wait...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 11:24 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Joking or not. I sure am. After they massively ruined mass effect with Andromeda I don't trust Bioware with an RPG at all.

journeyman
journeyman
By far I rather take a new Divinity OS in the mantle of BG, then a new Dragon Age Inquisition

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Madaras
Joking or not. I sure am. After they massively ruined mass effect with Andromeda I don't trust Bioware with an RPG at all.

IMHO Andromeda wasn't nearly as bad as ME3; it lacked polish as EA/Bioware had clearly abandoned it early on but it was okay. I never really got all the hate.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
What's exactly wrong about Inquisition, I liked it! Not as much as DAO but much more than DA2

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Dunno. All three had their own strengths; guilty as charged with criticising DA2, and while it has its flaws, I'd allowed them to eclipse what was otherwise a really pretty good game. I replayed it not so long ago and found it far better than I'd conditioned myself into remembering. As for Inquisition and what was wrong with it; you mean other than Solas? biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Madaras

IMHO Andromeda wasn't nearly as bad as ME3; it lacked polish as EA/Bioware had clearly abandoned it early on but it was okay. I never really got all the hate.

ME3 kinda needed the add on. After that it was very good and really closed that chapter superbly. I mean the whole saga was truly epic. Sure ME2 was the crowning glory, but still.

Andromeda? All kinds of utter dross. Main characters were sooooo dull. errible missions, urgh,... no I persisted for quite a while with it, but I am not sure I could bring myself to go back and re-install it and try and complete it. ME2 I would replay in a heartbeat.

The issue I have with so many of these newer titles, is the reliance on rinse repeat quests or mini quests just in different locations. Utter tripe.

There is a reason why Witcher 3 is considered THE RPG of the last decade.

Last edited by Riandor; 06/03/20 01:21 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Me LIKE solas.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Me LIKE solas.

So do a couple of my friends who are very fangirly about him! One even has a tattoo; I can't comment either way as I have one of Sera who is at least as divisive for much the same reason Solas grated on me: in Sera's case, I think similarly and have the same vulgar humour but I could never figure Solas out, but plenty of people are the other way round. And more still think they're both a pain in the arse. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
S
veteran
veteran
S
>Andromeda better than 3
not a big mass effect fan but was the ending realy that bad?
3 seemed like a much more competent game than andromeda

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sordak
>Andromeda better than 3
not a big mass effect fan but was the ending realy that bad?
3 seemed like a much more competent game than andromeda

IMHO it really was that bad. It's hard to describe just how bad without sounding like I'm descending into hyperbole.

Trouble with Andromeda is largely the lack of polish, I think; that thing with them seemingly giving up on it before it'd even been released. I've assumed their rationale may have been that whatever came after ME3 was probably going to be panned, though it may simply be that they'd already distracted themselves with The Great White Elephant by that point.

Given that there was so little input from the senior people in terms of storytelling and design, I think what was regarded very much as "the B team" came up with a better game than would've been expected. Which is perhaps damning it with faint praise, but the fault was really down to EA/Bioware's leadership or lack thereof.

Perhaps I got on with it okay as I always preferred the original Mass Effect and Andromeda was closest to it.

I suppose I'm whimsically making a mental analogy to the Alien series: ME is like Alien which is that it's new, mysterious and a bit scary; ME2 is like Aliens, which is much more shouty and gung-ho, it's fun but a bit crass; ME3 is like Alien 3/4 where nobody really knows what it's about, least of all the people responsible for writing it, and is ultimately a bit wonky and unsatisfying; and Andromeda is like Prometheus where opinions are very divided amongst those who enjoyed it for what it is and found hidden depths to it and those who thought it was just a bit cheap and missed the point.

J'aime le fromage.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
DA:I was a good game. ( Dont know for ME 3 and andromeda, i'm not too much on Sci-fi... so never played this saga )
I really love the writing, especially the interactions between characters.

It get bashed anyway.

But it's how things goes now...
Big sagas have to deal with toxic fans ( ask Bethesda about Fallout and TES and some friends say to me it's worse with Star Wars... ) , and it's the same everywhere, and with movies and books too.

You know, this adage who spread into the whole internet : "things were better before".
But, often ( not always ) it's not based on any real feedback. Just toxic nostalgia who lead people to reject everything new and evolution. It's a "standard" reaction now.

They act with their beloved IP like some jealous and capricious boyfriends. The game must be made "for them, just for them"...sad.

Actually, there's just CD Projekt Red ( And Larian but BEFORE BG 3 cool ) who are spared.

For the Bioware react on this...well...
There probably not many Bioware employees who worked already for them at BG 1 and 2 period actually. It's been 20 years... many some seniors but...it's not really like the IP 's their propriety like DA or ME.

Not sure they care too much. That said... i hope they will come back with a good DA4, i fear for them since the Anthem debacle.

Last edited by The Storyteller; 06/03/20 02:59 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
My problem with Andromeda was all of the social issues of the day they tried to force in. Keep politics out of the game or if you don't then do it tastefully. It felt like I was being bludgeoned with left wing talking points through most of the game. Loved ME:3 of course as I stated in a previous post finally being able to romance Kaiden really sealed the deal for me.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm not sure I would say it's so much a political affiliation thing but more of an "angsty sixth-former" one, as Roger Waters described some of Pink Floyd's more celebrated lyrics. Certain issues were handled in a manner that was shall we say not exactly seamless. I think some were smoothed out if I recall but regardless of a person's attitude to the subjects in question the handling was indelicate. I think it didn't help that there was a bit of a PR failure which did nothing to encourage considered discourse.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
I noticed these Trent Oster tweets and sense a negative undertone.

In case you don't know who he is:

Trent is a former Bioware employee that worked on Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2 and was the director of Neverwinter Nights. He founded Beamdog together with Cameron Tofer, which is the company that released the Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions.

(By the way, Minsc and Boo are Cameron Tofer's creation. :-D)

[Linked Image]
https://twitter.com/TrentOster/status/1234267620955656192

[Linked Image]
https://twitter.com/TrentOster/status/1235635326292340737

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Me LIKE solas.

So do a couple of my friends who are very fangirly about him! One even has a tattoo; I can't comment either way as I have one of Sera who is at least as divisive for much the same reason Solas grated on me: in Sera's case, I think similarly and have the same vulgar humour but I could never figure Solas out, but plenty of people are the other way round. And more still think they're both a pain in the arse. biggrin

I dislike Sera almost as much as Vivienne does. But in a manly way ofc.

apprentice
apprentice
Of course there was no comment from EA-Ware, ups Bioware.

Trent Oster from Beamdog twittered more and positiv about Baldurs Gate 3:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course Trent would have made BG3 himself but he is very decent and wishes his competitors all the best. thumbs up

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard