Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#661525 05/03/20 01:30 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I have over 2000 hrs in BG EE on steam and no idea how much before EE came out.
And i cant force myself to finish the DOS2, i started the game many times and i like min maxing but its just... random loot ruines the game.

1) Party selection must be same as in baldurs gate, drag and move mouse to make a square which selects characters, this is absolute must have for the game to succeed as baldur´s gate.. The chain / unchain party together is a DOS2 mechanic and i absolutely despice it. (Larian probably made this mechanic for the multiplayer purpose, but it´s steel awful for single player experience) or at least make a damn shortcut key, select all party members (insta chain all or unchain all)

2) randomised loot, i mean i hope it is obvious but if the game is gonna have same random loot mechanic as DOS2, i dont think anyone is going to buy it.
This mechanic ruines the experience of finding awesome items, you think you find a legendary item but it becomes absolete after you level up... and even this green blue orange mechanic is not from BG. Items must be powerfull on its own without the colour saying hey YOU stupid this is legendary!!!
Remember celestial fury katana?? absolute love!! this is what we are talking about... Vecna robes!! ring of gaxx, boots of speed, verscona from bg1 even those boots which give +5 vs ranged attacks.
The loot is big part of what makes BG so fun.

3) another feature which is so cool about BG and is not available in other rpgs, is the spell pronunciation, divine spells and some other are not just some beep beep boom sounds, it adds so much to the atmosphere of the BG world. Its not so expensive to record a bunch of awesome spells and add to the game, hell you could just copy already existing spell sounds and attach to your DOS 2 engine !!

4) classes difference, i dont think i have seen any videos revealing spell book, i mean everyone knows how awesome it is to play solo sorcerer and that there is a difference in sorcerer and mage.... sure rogue and warrior and paladin etc. could use DOS2 interface but what about sorcerers ??

veteran
veteran
Well, I more or less agree on the first two points. The third is more a flavor thing but yeah, I'd love some cool vocalization for spells.
The fourth point... I'm not sure I got what you were trying to say.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco
Well, I more or less agree on the first two points. The third is more a flavor thing but yeah, I'd love some cool vocalization for spells.
The fourth point... I'm not sure I got what you were trying to say.

He maybe doesn't know D&D very well, it's certain that different classes will have different class abilities.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
What im talking about is how are they going to implement the sorcerer spellbook where you could use one of 5 spells of each tier lots and lots of times, i dont wanna have a toolbar flooded with spells which are up in front of my face at all times.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by alexawow2006
What im talking about is how are they going to implement the sorcerer spellbook where you could use one of 5 spells of each tier lots and lots of times, i dont wanna have a toolbar flooded with spells which are up in front of my face at all times.

We currently don't know because the toolbar/UI is all placeholder until they have finalised the mechanics of the game, at which point they will BG/D&D-ify the look and feel.

In short, too early to tell.

veteran
veteran
Total agreement for number 1,2,3

regarding 4: here is the Players Handbook
All the races and classes from this book will probably be there, maybe more (e.g. githyanki companion confirmed)
All classes have several subclasses. You start as your base class and you can select a sub class later, usually when getting lv. 3.

If I understand the rules correctly:
- Every caster uses spells like a sorcerer in the old games, plus you can cast low level spells at a higher level for greater effect.
- The difference between wizard and sorcerer is, that wizards gain bonusses dependent of their spell shool of choice (no more forbidden opposing shools)
while sorcerers can spend points to cast their spells with meta magic effects and some bonusses based on their bloodline.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
The only thing I'm really worried about now is the day / night cycle. Would be kind of a bummer if the game didn't have that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
The only thing I'm really worried about now is the day / night cycle. Would be kind of a bummer if the game didn't have that.

Also, hard to justify. They removed it from DOS 1 and 2 for budget reasons.
Now they are going for "unlimited budget and hundreds of people working on it" for BG3, so the money excuse to exclude day/night cycle and relative scheduling would sound a bit out of place.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/03/20 02:41 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus

Also, hard to justify. They removed it from DOS 1 and 2 for budget reasons.
Now they are going for "unlimited budget and hundreds of people working on it" for BG3, so the money excuse to exclude day/night cycle and relative scheduling would sound a bit out of place.

Yeah, I can understand why they left it out if they had a tight budget, but it does add so much to immersion to have a day / night cycle or even a weather system. Speaking of that, how cool would a weather system be? You could like cast an ice spell when its raining and the puddles would freeze and turn slippery.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Riandor
Originally Posted by alexawow2006

We currently don't know because the toolbar/UI is all placeholder until they have finalised the mechanics of the game, at which point they will BG/D&D-ify the look and feel.

In short, too early to tell.

Hell i hope they do BG/D&D-ify or it would be such a mess to see simple DOS 2 interface

S
veteran
veteran
S
so your "must have" things besides the itemization is literaly pointless crap?

Im sorry the character selection?
youre gonna be moving the entire party mosto fthe time anyway and if you split them the chain mechanic still gets the job done even if it requires one click more.
But yeah LITERALY UNPLAYABLE

The spell pronounciations? thats such a minor (and very questionable in hte lore) detail.

and class difference is literaly already there.

>simple DOS2 interface
its the little details, its the litte details in the angry boomer posts that get me every time.
its simple now! The simple OS2 interface, versus the complex baldurs gate one.

Why would anyone want a complex interface? For what reason? i want to do exactly waht my intention is, with as little clicks as humanly possible

Last edited by Sordak; 05/03/20 02:52 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sordak

youre gonna be moving the entire party mosto fthe time anyway and if you split them the chain mechanic still gets the job done even if it requires one click more.

The spell pronounciations? thats such a minor (and very questionable in hte lore) detail.

>simple DOS2 interface
its the little details, its the litte details in the angry boomer posts that get me every time.

Why would anyone want a complex interface? For what reason? i want to do exactly waht my intention is, with as little clicks as humanly possible

Meh.
One person's junk... as they say.

I am sure your must have things wouldn't alkl tie up with mine. Let's just state what they might be for us instead of belittling someone elses.

As for the Day and Night cycle, as it appears to being discussed here, I would say that's a must. That and weather. and things that happens as a result of both (i.e. conversations and events that only happen because of night/day/weather).

There you go, was that on your list? hehe

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

>simple DOS2 interface

The character selection... That is the mechanic that you use all the time, from the start to the end every single moment of the game.
What other feature can bother one more than that? You are not just moving your party, there are a lot of tactics involved and controlling your party effeciently is very important.
If you are saying this is a minor crap, then you probably played DOS2 on easymode rightclicking and auto killing everything and everyone.
Now if you didnt, then you would know that this fkn party members while chained together move together and unchaining and chaining them again and again million times in front of every fight is absolute nonsence... This is a multiplayer feature/solution to controlls but it sucks for single player !!

We already know that BG3 is basicly a reskin for DOS2, so the things i mentioned above is a minimum required to make game look more like Baldurs Gate then Divinity.
And im not sure what do you mean by ´complex baldurs gate interface´ ??? can you explain what is complex ?

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Riandor

>simple DOS2 interface

Meh.
One person's junk... as they say.

I am sure your must have things wouldn't alkl tie up with mine. Let's just state what they might be for us instead of belittling someone elses.

As for the Day and Night cycle, as it appears to being discussed here, I would say that's a must. That and weather. and things that happens as a result of both (i.e. conversations and events that only happen because of night/day/weather).

There you go, was that on your list? hehe

I could easily add day and night future to the list, i agree it would be a awesome to have it even though in previous games it was more of a cosmsetic feature, implementing such mechanic on a fallout level where there are perks effecting your character in the night would be really awesome. Question is can they add this to their Dos2 enginge?

Last edited by alexawow2006; 05/03/20 03:31 PM.
addict
addict
Well it's had a big upgrade (the engine), so it isn't really DOS2 Engine, but I get your point.

veteran
veteran
Baldurs gate did not have a complex interface: select character, select action, select target, done
Pathfinder Kingmaker had an UI that was sometimes more confusing than neccessary.

Personally I would prefer an UI that works like like PoE2 with the look similar to BG2.
I agree that character selection like BG1+2, DA:O, NWN2 or PoE1+2 is way better than the chain stuff of D:OS1+2.

Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The spell pronounciations?

It is literally* the case that BG3 will require the player to actually incant the spell into their microphone and if they get it wrong then bad things will happen.

* literally! †

† possibly. A bit. ‡

‡ Okay, not really. But I think they should just for a laugh.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

It is literally* the case that BG3 will require the player to actually incant the spell into their microphone and if they get it wrong then bad things will happen.

* literally! †

† possibly. A bit. ‡

Reminds me of Army of Darkness, when Ash wants to take the necronomicon.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by vometia

* literally! †

† possibly. A bit. ‡

FUZZ RADAHH!! laugh
You know you can cast shouts on xbox when playing skyrim ))

But to be honest i think its actually one of those detail that actually differentiate BG from its competitors, i work as motion designer and in our studio we have a sound guy working only on sounds all day smile Sound design is as important as graphic design, though many people dont realise it. I would sell their music for a good sound effects any day, you know why?? cuz i turn off music in most of the games after 200-300 hrs you heared enough, but you dont turn off sound of the spells ;))!!

Support
Support

1) Personally, I never cared for the RTS style selection, but I don't see much difference. A hotkey for linking/unlinking would certainly be nice.

2) The game will be using 5e loot, not the D:OS 2 mechanics.

3) This should be in by Early Access.

4) As mentioned, the UI in the presentation is placeholder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard