Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I don't know if this was mentioned, but I'm kinda worried about the character creator. one of my favorite things in bg,nwn, and all this dnd games is the richness of the character creator. You are not only able to select class and race, but also customize them in great detail. I'm really hopeful that the creator we saw will improve (and most likely it will) but from what we did saw it was really bare bones.

Maybe we'll be able to change the color of their clothes ?
It could be great smile

(I understand you're not tlking about this)

It is big part of it to me. I'm talking about both appearance (of which we have seen nothing at all) and stats (of which we have seen very little). I think Dos2 was very nice in the appearance part (even tough it wasn't amazing, the option to even customize the appearance was great), but character-wise it was kinda... useless? I don't think it's the right term, but the fact you'd cycle through different archetypes with different outfits (you couldn't even wear because you start in rags) and didn't really mattered in the long term was very different from a DND experience (not necessarily better or worse, just very different)

Swen skipped some of the panels of the character creator because he used an origin characters that he didn't bother to customize. The attribute panel support point buy, standard array and dice rolling, it was mentioned in an interview.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by azarhal
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I don't know if this was mentioned, but I'm kinda worried about the character creator. one of my favorite things in bg,nwn, and all this dnd games is the richness of the character creator. You are not only able to select class and race, but also customize them in great detail. I'm really hopeful that the creator we saw will improve (and most likely it will) but from what we did saw it was really bare bones.

Maybe we'll be able to change the color of their clothes ?
It could be great smile

(I understand you're not tlking about this)

It is big part of it to me. I'm talking about both appearance (of which we have seen nothing at all) and stats (of which we have seen very little). I think Dos2 was very nice in the appearance part (even tough it wasn't amazing, the option to even customize the appearance was great), but character-wise it was kinda... useless? I don't think it's the right term, but the fact you'd cycle through different archetypes with different outfits (you couldn't even wear because you start in rags) and didn't really mattered in the long term was very different from a DND experience (not necessarily better or worse, just very different)

Swen skipped some of the panels of the character creator because he used an origin characters that he didn't bother to customize. The attribute panel support point buy, standard array and dice rolling, it was mentioned in an interview.

Yeah, I said it is very likely that even in the early access we will see more customization options. it's just that what they did show us was very minimal... it doesn't mean it won't change, but who knows... I really hope it will.

Last edited by Abits; 09/03/20 02:29 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
I dunno if it is useful to post this, but an option to roll normal initiative rules when we are not doing COOP/MP would be much appreciated and in my opinion just flat out important to have to not have horrifying balance issues in user campaigns going beyond char level 20.

I do play a lot of 5e and my group tried some planned encounters where we had worries with team initiative and without, and team initiative proved a nightmare when 4 druids were doing their thing, in case you don't know, halfling druids with alert feat can get 2 full rounds if they win the initiative since they can hide behind sneaking summons, since druids also have sneak +10 spell and can wildshape into scary things when unable to hide surprise round + team initiative ended up in us never losing a single fight and gaining insane advantage from turn 1 by bringing our heavy summons into play and THEN buffing them in the next round before the enemy moved (Also we had a lengthy look in the rules whether team initiative put summons AHEAD of BEHIND of the initiative order and we were left even more shocked to realize it is ahead, so summons move after your party in team initiative, meaning summon heavy parties of 4 have a 4:1 ! action advantage. 4 times as many actions per turn as an equal sized CR rated encounter, that is. And since alert feat negates ambushes, even when ambushed we had never a disadvantage in any fight, even 3 cr levels higher.

This put an immense importance on the initiative roll far more so than the ruleset defines. Either way, after those tests I am now even firmer of the opinion that team initiative is gonna be an absolute balancing nightmare, but it should be made sure the balance is put in place for normal initiative rules.

Anyhow, that's what I wish to see in BG3, it is my only relative worry about the game by far.

addict
addict
I'm also leery of group initiative, mostly because it strikes me as a strange way to do things and seems like it can makes combat a bit more predictable. Also, doesn't 5e have everyone roll initiative individually?

enthusiast
enthusiast
It is called "Side Initiative". It is a variant of the initiative on page 270 of the DMG.

veteran
veteran
Group initiative is the ONLY thing that is making this combat system even remotely palatable to me, and I would guess for a lot of other people who dislike TB combat.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by kanisatha
No, in general, it is always the case that solving a situation by avoiding combat gets you "less" of everything than engaging in combat, less XP, less loot, and even usually a "lesser" quest/story outcome. I personally think it should be the other way around, that finding a way to avoid combat should get the bigger return, but would be exceedingly happy to see the two approaches just being treated equivalently.

I'm definitely on board with this. Too many RPGs are way too combat-focussed for something that's supposed to be about role-playing, and I say that not only because I'm mostly rubbish at combat. There should certainly be more options to resolve most given quests than "kill it! Kill it to death!" and the rewards should ideally reflect aspects such as the appropriateness of a given approach (in terms of the quest itself, the nature of the PC, their relationship to the relevant NPCs, environment etc) and the effort spent on securing not just the best outcome but also the approach. Though that sounds potentially complicated I don't think it needs to be.

It's not complicated at all. This is the very foundation of what it means to roleplay!! The problem, not just with Larian but with RPG developers generally, is that they have lost sight of the "RP" in RPG. Many of today's so-called RPGs should more correctly be labeled as tactical combat games with some RP elements included. Now there's nothing wrong with making such games if there is a market for them, but they should not be labeled as RPGs.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
It's not complicated at all. This is the very foundation of what it means to roleplay!! The problem, not just with Larian but with RPG developers generally, is that they have lost sight of the "RP" in RPG. Many of today's so-called RPGs should more correctly be labeled as tactical combat games with some RP elements included. Now there's nothing wrong with making such games if there is a market for them, but they should not be labeled as RPGs.

I think "RPG" has been a bit of a misnomer almost from its inception. RPTCG just doesn't roll off the tongue quite so well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
It is called "Side Initiative". It is a variant of the initiative on page 270 of the DMG.

It states
"If you want quicker combats, at the risk of those combats becoming unbalanced, try using the side initiative rule. "
Side initiative is roll Initiative without using modifiers. One roll, for an entire party. NO MODIFIERS. Meaning aside from balance, it also breaks quite a few items and skills and even a few spells and feats and the dex ability bonus to initiative too.

So to me that was always a red-flag to never use it... I am really curious how Larian is gonna explain that worry away in the AMA, because that it breaks balance is what it says on the DMG page 270 wink Funnily enough it does not say why.

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 09/03/20 06:51 PM.
addict
addict
Perhaps the incentive is to allow simultaneous turns. Group initiative + simultaneous turns seems like something of TB/RTwP hybrid. Could be good; but hopefully we have the option to do individual initiative and turns if preferred.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
"the rewards should ideally reflect aspects such as the appropriateness of a given approach (in terms of the quest itself, the nature of the PC"

So this spell was an end reward for traveling to the plane of Mechanus and safely returning and was the mage focused reward. Nothing said Mechanus magic like this spell and would bring back fond memories of this particular portion of your journey. This captures what RP should to make the experience better...

...bring something unique to your story.

<a> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZZEPoVb4c </a>

journeyman
journeyman
"if the game is gonna have same random loot mechanic as DOS2, i dont think anyone is going to buy it."

lol that's an exaggeration!

I couldn't care less about that. Honestly, I think it's even better it's random

Last edited by Rafoca; 10/03/20 01:24 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard