Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 61 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 60 61
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
sorry, Eguzky, but people with opinions different from yours is not "harassment", but telling people they are not allowed to express opinions is.

Right on. I have every right to be angry, to complain, and to describe this game as a bad game. And I will continue to do so.

Based on a single tech demo. It's what, pre-alpha? Hilarious.

To be fair; the mechanic many people dislike will not change, most likely.

But complaining about graphics, animation, voice acting, or UI at this stage is like complaining that cake batter does not look as good as a finished cake.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
sorry, Eguzky, but people with opinions different from yours is not "harassment", but telling people they are not allowed to express opinions is.

Right on. I have every right to be angry, to complain, and to describe this game as a bad game. And I will continue to do so.

Based on a single tech demo. It's what, pre-alpha? Hilarious.

To be fair; the mechanic many people dislike will not change, most likely.

But complaining about graphics, animation, voice acting, or UI at this stage is like complaining that cake batter does not look as good as a finished cake.

That's the nature of the internet and the early reveal we all crave. But I utterly agree with you.

We take what we see at face value and discuss it as if it was the "near" final product. I said it in another thread, due to the borrowing of assets from D:OS2, the BG3 Demo looks quite far advanced, more than Larian perhaps intended. I feel Larian could have been more vocal about the graphical look and feel side to the general public, but, but maybe they were and I missed it. After all until I joined this forum, I went mostly by the presentation by Swen at PAX, whereas most of the Media videos that came out shortly after were more enlightening.

I think that the Early Access news also makes people sit up more and go, "argh it's nearly playable and it's not BG3 looking at all". Rightly or wrongly. Yet it is still very much a wait and see approach that is needed, though I wholeheartedly believe we should be providing constructive criticism for all things, even if we believe they are final, becaue a) they're probably not and b) I beleive Larian would at least take note, even if they ultimately stuck to their idea over our collective one.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kyrthorsen
Originally Posted by Sordak
This stuff just boggles my mind.
Why on earth would you want BG3 to be made by obsidian?

If you want RTWP then maybe go with owlcat.
but obsidian has shown qutie well that they are incapeable of making good games and they are out of touch with the CRPG audience.
Laud them as much as you want for beeing conservative in mechanics, their writing isnt winning any awards with the fan base.

and cheap? you realy think this is cheap? Do you even understand how much the larian team has expanded for this?

Why am i even typing this. This is bait.

Hi friend,

There is a saying that goes like this: "DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN"

BG1 and BG2 were not broken games.

What every fan of BG was expecting from BG3 was to take the very successful BG formula and IMPROVE on that to make BG3.

NOBODY was expecting that Larian would make a CHEAP move and just use its DOS template and call it BG.

Do you remember what happened with the Diablo franchise maybe? After legendary D1 and D2 games, a new dev team comes to "reinvent" things, and then makes D3, a complete cartoony-looking disaster. Now they are making D4 according to the "original" D1 and D2 recipe. Why, because it worked.

The same thing will happen with this "BG3" i.e. "DOS3" - they also made BG3 look like a cartoon.

What Larian has done (marketing DOS3 named as BG3) - in my book, resembles FALSE ADVERTISING.

They just hyped a lot of old BG fans up with false advertising. Larian, do you really think people are that stupid?

So what if they expanded their team and have a bigger budget? It is still a cheap move.

Larian, be honest and stop calling this game BG3!!!

Alright, I seen this argument before.

Diablo 3 was a huge success and sold over 20 million copies over all platforms, making it one of the most sold games of all times (MC and PUBG is ahead).
To compare, Diablo 1 and 2 sold around 6 million copies (2 for D1 and 4 for D2)

The only ones that thought it was a HUGE FAILURE was a smaller group of Diablo 2 fans.
Something is not a failure because YOU don't like it.

You simply cannot just make up your own definition of "Failure".

And if you want to bring up the point of Diablo 2 coming out in 2000, fair enough. It sold well for that year, but it is still 7 million copies behind The Sims.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by dmsephiroth
Oh Helloo Larian, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORVHGkEn58

There you can see a real good RPG which looks kinda familiar with baldurs gate, good music, effects and fun gameplay.

This looks like a total clone of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and nothing like Baldur's Gate II

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Cirolle
[quote=kyrthorsen][quote=Sordak]...

Oh come on, D3 was not a commercial success because of its new art style and corny dialogue.
It was successful in spite of this because old fans were desperate for a new Diablo and there was precious little else out there in the genre, plus the later ability to play on console with 4 -layer couch co-op, the much better expansion and continued updates make it still one of the better games in a niche genre.

I love Diablo, but stylistically and tone wise, d3 is a poor Diablo game, so says pretty much everyone, including blizzard. Plus you can not compare it to the sims?!! That’s like me comparing big sales to bloody fifa

So these things are important and I look forward to seeing how Larian handles BG3.

Last edited by Riandor; 05/03/20 06:43 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Riandor
Originally Posted by Eguzky
[quote=Maximuuus][quote=Eguzky]...

...For others its the painted landscapes...

I feel dumb for asking this, but what does this mean? The "painted" landscapes part.

addict
addict
I think they are referring to textures that look or almost look hand-drawn. For me, what they call "painted landscapes" is just better graphics for 1998, but poor quality ones by today's standards. Then again, maybe look to Pillars of Eternity for more current examples ... even though they don't seem as "painted" as BG3. But it's all so vague and subjective, I don't think anyone really knows.

journeyman
journeyman

Oh come on, D3 was not a commercial success because of its new art style and corny dialogue.
It was successful in spite of this because old fans were desperate for a new Diablo and there was precious little else out there in the genre, plus the later ability to play on console with 4 -layer couch co-op, the much better expansion and continued updates make it still one of the better games in a niche genre.

I love Diablo, but stylistically and tone wise, d3 is a poor Diablo game, so says pretty much everyone, including blizzard. Plus you can not compare it to the sims?!! That’s like me comparing big sales to bloody fifa

So these things are important and I look forward to seeing how Larian handles BG3.

The 4 million Diablo fans hardly made up for the 20 million plus sold.
I am not a fan of Diablo 3. I did buy it and then hardly played it.

I am having problems with people going overboard and saying things like "Complete failure" or "Disaster"
The game did fine and sold enough copies to be on the top 3 of all times.

However, the "failure" of Diablo 3 was that Blizzard aimed for it to be a cash cow to be milked for many years. The intent was not for it to "just" be a single player game, but to be a "Game as a service". This part never took off and they had invested years into the whole concept.
As a friend pointed out, if they had focused on churning out a Diablo series of games instead, they would have made a lot more money.

I feel that Diablo 4 will be more in style with Diablo 2, but they will most likely push the side cash cow even more this time around.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Emrikol
I think they are referring to textures that look or almost look hand-drawn. For me, what they call "painted landscapes" is just better graphics for 1998, but poor quality ones by today's standards. Then again, maybe look to Pillars of Eternity for more current examples ... even though they don't seem as "painted" as BG3. But it's all so vague and subjective, I don't think anyone really knows.

Huh

I thought they meant that all the backgrounds assets where places by hand or something.
I mean, it is obviously assets that are used many many times in different places.

I don't think it refers to the style really. Would be the first time I see that.

addict
addict

The 4 million Diablo fans hardly made up for the 20 million plus sold.
I am not a fan of Diablo 3. I did buy it and then hardly played it.

I am having problems with people going overboard and saying things like "Complete failure" or "Disaster"
The game did fine and sold enough copies to be on the top 3 of all times.

However, the "failure" of Diablo 3 was that Blizzard aimed for it to be a cash cow to be milked for many years. The intent was not for it to "just" be a single player game, but to be a "Game as a service". This part never took off and they had invested years into the whole concept.
As a friend pointed out, if they had focused on churning out a Diablo series of games instead, they would have made a lot more money.

I feel that Diablo 4 will be more in style with Diablo 2, but they will most likely push the side cash cow even more this time around.

Here I agree

addict
addict

Huh

I thought they meant that all the backgrounds assets where places by hand or something.
I mean, it is obviously assets that are used many many times in different places.

I don't think it refers to the style really. Would be the first time I see that.

I will try to find information. But the Infinity Engine of BG1/2 uses pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, which are painted with hand-drawn textures. For example, you can see repeating textures in grass, but those textures are hand-painted. You can see that the trees are hand painted 2d artwork that is then painted into the environment with a brush. Then, after the 2D environments are painted, another coder goes around and draws the collision maps which block out the base of trees (you can see this collision map in the "map overlay" think in the EE), or the depths of walls. Then, the "z axis" stuff is layered and opaqued above so that it fades out when you walk "beneath it".

Each "tile" of the map is about one screen size at medium zoom, they painted the maps one "tile" at a time, and every map is a large 2D planar environment with what is called "trompe l'oiel" or trick of the eye to make it seem 3d.

I've studied BG in art history class in university. I am from Edmonton, so I kind of had more direct access to old Bioware before they dissolved and became an E.A. cancer mill.

From this thread, a few posts down on the first page.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz

#standingovation

Exactly.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ThreeL
Feels like people forgot temple of elemental evil... This was turn based and D&D and so much worse than BG especially because of the fighting system

Yeah. There is no trend in gaming indicating that TB is preferred to RTwP. There has only been big TB hit, and that's DOS2. 1 game isn't a trend.

There are been more recent TB games that tanked than there are ones that did great. Torment: Numenera and Wasteland Remastered were both flops and both had TB. And the TB combat was one of the things that were criticized about Torment: Numenera - because Planescape: Torment had RTwP and people didn't like the title switching to TB.

There are more owners of Pillars of Eternity, which is RTwP, on Steam than Wasteland 2, which is TB.

Pillars of Eternity 2 had TB added to it, but it didn't improve its sales or raise its Steam user score by even a single percentage point in the months that followed the TB patch.

And Pathfinder: Kingmaker is more popular right now than any TB game other than DOS2.

And while DOS2's sales have been great, they still haven't topped Dragon Age: Origins': DA:O sold 3.2 million copies in just over 3 months. DOS2 sold 1 million copies in 2.5 months.

So, there is no trend anywhere that TB is more favoured than RTwP. But some fans of DOS2 have let their appreciation of the game blind them to the point they've crafted a mythology about TB games and their popularity.

Here's Larian's "BG3" senior designer and main combat designer, Edouard Imbert on RTwP vs TB:

https://jv.jeuxonline.info/actualit...rt-senior-designer-combats-baldur-gate-3
Q: How do you reconcile the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate fans with the need to modernise the formula?

A: First of all, you have the basic question: do we do real time with a pause or do we go round by round? I'm a critic of real time with pause because I remember my Baldur's Gate games and I look at what they did recently with Pillars of Eternity: it's a mess, pause, you give three orders, you stop the pause, it's a mess. I don't like that at all. I'm convinced it's something that's playing against us, that's preventing us from attracting new players. What I like about the turn-by-turn is that the "it's yours, it's mine, it's yours" side of it, everyone understands that.

What I want to do, apart from the mechanics, is to have references to the old Baldur's Gate, so that "it rhymes" as Georges Lucas said. Nevertheless, you still have to realize that it has aged. The tone has aged, the mechanics have aged. We have to modernize, we have to simplify. Anyway, we follow the rules of the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, which is still much more accessible I think. So, how do you modernize with that in mind? I think we can make references to the scenario, we can go through known places, maybe find characters, but I think that this will happen mostly at the level of the universe and the scenario as well as at the level of the tone more than in the mechanics, which, for their part, need to be modernized.

That is somebody who should not ever be allowed to develop a Baldur's Gate game. They are prejudiced against Baldur's Gate from the outset and have no interest in making a Baldur's Gate game. There isn't a problem with RTwP, there's a problem with their perception of and skill with RTwP. They require a very dumbed-down experience that is ultra-simple and clarified in order to be able to follow what is happening. They aren't the average gamer, though.

This further underscores that Larian are not even thinking about making a Baldur's Gate game and couldn't care less about the Baldur's Gate series other than the potential for its name to boost their own Divinity brand's popularity, as Swen said is what he hopes to do:

https://youtu.be/kGnGOnzlC4s?t=214
... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

And as Walgrave revealed when he said Larian are sticking to the DOS formula (which disingenuously saying that D&D is a turn-based game while omitting to acknowledge that Baldur's Gate isn't just D&D and is a RTwP series):

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview
The choices that we made are ours. Why did we go for turn-based instead of real-time with pause? Because D&D to us is a turn-based game and we're really good - or we have become really good - with turn-based combat. So that, I think, is one of our strengths, and trying out real-time with pause for now, just because the originals were that? It's a big risk. Because the team would have to think completely differently, our combat would be completely different. And we didn't really feel good about that. Normally we do try out a lot. Normally we try out a lot before we make a decision, but with real-time with pause and turn-based we didn't, we just said "Okay it's just gonna be turn-based."

It's no wonder Walgrave couldn't think of a single aspect of their D&D RPG that justifies calling their "BG3" a successor to the Baldur's Gate series:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview
So, I think that in spirit it's still the successor of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Because there are so many things that people who did play and like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 will still recognise in the new one. It's still about your party. It's still about big personalities clashing with each other and relationships. It's still a party-based game, you still need to do combat, you will recognise a lot of D&D rules - even if you haven't played D&D in 20 years. You will still recognise all the spells, et cetera. So, to me it's a true sequel, but we are bringing it into the 21st century by saying, "Look, it's glorious 3D."

So, Larian's "BG3" is a sequel because it's a party-based RPG with colourful character and with combat in it - and the combat uses a D&D ruleset. He didn't even dare add that Baldur's Gate has specifically RTwP combat - because, of course, Larian's "BG3" doesn't. Walgrave's claim is the equivalent of saying that any first-person game where you play as a single character and use a variety of weapons to shoot at lots of things is a DOOM series game or a Half-Life series game.

There are loads of games that fit Walgrave's description that aren't called Baldur's Gate series games, and there are thousands that fit the description if not counting the D&D ruleset qualifier. What Walgrave is saying is that there is no similarity between Larian's D&D game and the Baldur's Gate series and so he couldn't think of something that actually justifies calling Larian's "BG3" a Baldur's Gate series game.

Black Isle themselves, the creators of the Baldur's Gate series, wasn't willing to call their game "BG3" despite that their cancelled game had a lot more in common with the BG series: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1234228179906134016

So, if they judged it not right that their own follow-up game not be titled Baldur's Gate 3, then it's clear that they would not approve of Larian's game bearing the Baldur's Gate name.

Larian talk like snakes in interviews when trying to rationalize why they're calling their game "BG3". But it's abundantly clear that the only actual reason why they are calling it "BG3" is for a cash-grab, to promote their own DOS formula and brand. And co-opting another series and disregarding its important legacy and its fans for such a self-serving goal is selling-out. If they weren't interesting in making an actual Baldur's Gate game, and it's clear they have never been, then they should have left the title alone.

BTW, in a recent interview Swen said that their studio all loved the BG series (except for everything about it, it seems). But in an older interview from when the license was being announced, I'm pretty sure he said that the people in their studio didn't even know what the Baldur's Gate series was when the idea was raised.

There's not a single thing above I disagree with. There are only 2 games in this world i'd consider myself a fan of; Baldur's Gate and PS:T.
Planescape 2 was a disappointment for me because what I missed mostly was the atmosphere. Bought the game nevertheless because I knew from the start what I was getting and wanted to support the genre.

But this time i'm not "sad" disappointed, I'm furious! I was expecting a game that would feel familiar to its' predecessors. All i see is DOS.

Primary reasons are the artwork and the combat system which kinda effects a fair portion of game time..
And now thanks to Delicieuxz I'm learning that combat system apparently changed so they could attract new players(guess what's happening to some old ones?), can't risk changing what they've already done, and they believe "D&D is turn-based so Baldur's Gate should be turn-based too" is a logical argument.
What were Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 then? Have you ever tried playing D&D RTwP? No, because you can't. Well, in the actual Baldur's Gate you can.

journeyman
journeyman

Huh

I will try to find information. But the Infinity Engine of BG1/2 uses pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, which are painted with hand-drawn textures. For example, you can see repeating textures in grass, but those textures are hand-painted. You can see that the trees are hand painted 2d artwork that is then painted into the environment with a brush. Then, after the 2D environments are painted, another coder goes around and draws the collision maps which block out the base of trees (you can see this collision map in the "map overlay" think in the EE), or the depths of walls. Then, the "z axis" stuff is layered and opaqued above so that it fades out when you walk "beneath it".

Each "tile" of the map is about one screen size at medium zoom, they painted the maps one "tile" at a time, and every map is a large 2D planar environment with what is called "trompe l'oiel" or trick of the eye to make it seem 3d.

I've studied BG in art history class in university. I am from Edmonton, so I kind of had more direct access to old Bioware before they dissolved and became an E.A. cancer mill.

From this thread, a few posts down on the first page.

Thank you, this was most helpful

Banned
Banned
Thank you, this was most helpful

It is really neat stuff how they did it. Obviously, digital painting back in 1998 was pixel dependent and not vectored like we can do today, but there is no reason why something as artful could not be accomplished today.

Pillars of Eternity actually does an incredible job of this in the Unity engine. They used the same technique by making expansive 2D backgrounds (just not as big as the maps in BG, sadly) and then populated them with 3d rendered objects. Pay very close attention to the Odema's Camp right at the beginning, you can see that it is a "showpiece" that received a lot of love and attention, not just because it is the first thing players see.

The environment is a flat, 2d planar map, but they have 3d rendered adra rocks and walls and characters. They use lighting to blend it all together. You can tell very well that the trees are painted then rendered. It is gorgeous.

Support
Support
BTW, in a recent interview Swen said that their studio all loved the BG series

He was speaking in general terms. As is almost always the case when describing the opinion of a group of hundreds of people.

in an older interview from when the license was being announced, I'm pretty sure he said that the people in their studio didn't even know what the Baldur's Gate series was when the idea was raised.

He said there were people who didn't know Baldur's Gate, not 'the' people.
In any case, these statements do not conflict; it is entirely possible to love something now that you did not know about more than a year ago.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

but obsidian has shown qutie well that they are incapeable of making good games and they are out of touch with the CRPG audience.
Laud them as much as you want for beeing conservative in mechanics, their writing isnt winning any awards with the fan base.

and cheap? you realy think this is cheap? Do you even understand how much the larian team has expanded for this?

Hi friend,

What every fan of BG was expecting from BG3 was to take the very successful BG formula and IMPROVE on that to make BG3.

NOBODY was expecting that Larian would make a CHEAP move and just use its DOS template and call it BG.

Do you remember what happened with the Diablo franchise maybe? After legendary D1 and D2 games, a new dev team comes to "reinvent" things, and then makes D3, a complete cartoony-looking disaster. Now they are making D4 according to the "original" D1 and D2 recipe. Why, because it worked.

The same thing will happen with this "BG3" i.e. "DOS3" - they also made BG3 look like a cartoon.

What Larian has done (marketing DOS3 named as BG3) - in my book, resembles FALSE ADVERTISING.

They just hyped a lot of old BG fans up with false advertising. Larian, do you really think people are that stupid?

So what if they expanded their team and have a bigger budget? It is still a cheap move.

Diablo 3 was a huge success and sold over 20 million copies over all platforms, making it one of the most sold games of all times (MC and PUBG is ahead).

The only ones that thought it was a HUGE FAILURE was a smaller group of Diablo 2 fans.

And if you want to bring up the point of Diablo 2 coming out in 2000, fair enough. It sold well for that year, but it is still 7 million copies behind The Sims.

If you think a game is a huge success just because a lot people that loved the series bought the next installment...big sales dont make a good game

Same with BG3, jeah sure the game could make lots of money because of its IP - but that doesnt mean it will be a great game

The ONLY POINT Im trying to make with this thread is that BG3 needs to be DIFFERENT than DOS and SIMILAR to BG 1 and 2.

The PROBLEM is that the gameplay LOOKS as a DOS game not a BG game.

PERIOD.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Raze
BTW, in a recent interview Swen said that their studio all loved the BG series

He was speaking in general terms. As is almost always the case when describing the opinion of a group of hundreds of people.

in an older interview from when the license was being announced, I'm pretty sure he said that the people in their studio didn't even know what the Baldur's Gate series was when the idea was raised.

He said there were people who didn't know Baldur's Gate, not 'the' people.
In any case, these statements do not conflict; it is entirely possible to love something now that you did not know about more than a year ago.

How is it possible to pay tribute to that thing when you know little about it, and choose to eschew the things that made it what it was?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
LOL, now even Larian in their new community update is giving excuses about the similiarity between DOS saying that the engine is only 30% DOS2, and that this engine 4.0 is being dubbed BG3 engine, when actually they are updating the DOS2 engine.

There is NOTHING wrong with that, but Larian really needs to stop, think and execute a game that is not DOS anymore...they have to say bye bye DOS and hello BG3, change their art style, visuals, set a darker tone, and look to things that BG1 and 2 did good and IMPROVE ON THAT --- not improve on the things DOS2 did good because then it would be a DOS3 game.

journeyman
journeyman

Hi friend,

If you think a game is a huge success just because a lot people that loved the series bought the next installment...big sales dont make a good game

Same with BG3, jeah sure the game could make lots of money because of its IP - but that doesnt mean it will be a great game

The ONLY POINT Im trying to make with this thread is that BG3 needs to be DIFFERENT than DOS and SIMILAR to BG 1 and 2.

The PROBLEM is that the gameplay LOOKS as a DOS game not a BG game.

PERIOD.

I am going to ignore your last part about DOS vs BG since that had nothing to do with my post.

And I feel like I already explained what actually made Diablo 3 a success and what made it a "failure". Neither had anything to do with the original fans.

I know what your point is about DOS and BG, and I think it isn't really worth exploring.

Page 14 of 61 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard