Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 61 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 60 61
N
old hand
old hand
N
Personally, whether it's a real BG3 or a DoS3, I just don't care. Either way, it's gonna be a good game. And that's all that matters to me.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Personally, whether it's a real BG3 or a DoS3, I just don't care. Either way, it's gonna be a good game. And that's all that matters to me.

Wel thats sad. You young gamers today, you would play anything served on your plate.

S
veteran
veteran
S
ITT: disingenuous nonsense

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by kyrthorsen

Wel thats sad. You young gamers today, you would play anything served on your plate.

You made a wrong assumption here. Too bad for you.

As a matter of fact, I played the first BG when it came out and all its sequels afterwards. But maybe you have to understand some players are not bond to nostalgia and prefer to enjoy a good game rather than crying on the fact its mechanics are not the same anymore. And as a long time backer for Larian Studios, I know I will be playing a very good game when BG3 is out.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
...some players are not bond to nostalgia

Well quite. I played Pong back in the 1970s; I thought it was pants then and I have the same opinion now! I do have nostalgia-goggles for some games but I've revisited enough of them to accept that, for me at least, times move on.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia
...some players are not bond to nostalgia

Well quite. I played Pong back in the 1970s; I thought it was pants then and I have the same opinion now! I do have nostalgia-goggles for some games but I've revisited enough of them to accept that, for me at least, times move on.

But BG2 is still an awesome game, in some points unreached until now. That's not just nostalgia.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by ThreeL
But BG2 is still an awesome game, in some points unreached until now. That's not just nostalgia.

So are a number of titles I played, particularly in my Third Gaming Phase; but that was then and while they have a lot of strengths, they were of their time. While there are elements I'd love to see again, I dunno if I'd really be that entertained with a more modern clone: once the novelty wore off I think there'd be a risk of feeling all btdt.

Last edited by vometia; 07/03/20 10:24 AM. Reason: horrid spelling gaffe

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
There's a whole bunch of IE rip off games, from PoE to Pathfinder to Tyranny to that new Torment game. The market is saturated, there's really no sense in making one more modernized IE rip off.

veteran
veteran
To those who think this game should not be called Baldurs Gate 3:

I have some alternatives wink
- Baldurs Gate: The DIVINITYve Edition
- Divinity Original Sin: The Gate of Baldur
- Day of the Tentacle 2: Invasion of the Brain Eaters

I am really looking forward to this game.
I have played and enjoyed old games like BG1+2 and I have played and enjoyed new games like Disco Elysium.
And I do NOT care how the game is called (hint: Baldurs Gate 3) or if it looks like a 20 year old game (hint: it does not) as long as I enjoy playing it.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran

So are a number of titles I played, particularly in my Third Gaming Phase; but that was then and while they have a lot of strengths, they were of their time. While there are elements I'd love to see again, I dunno if I'd really be that entertained with a more modern clone: once the novelty wore off I think there'd be a risk of feeling all btdt.

I feel like games quality has largely dropped since 2010, in favour of technology.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I feel like games quality has largely dropped since 2010, in favour of technology.

Well what kind of games do you like from back then? Because to me, the rise of indie gaming means we have bot hold school titles and big budget titles, as opposed to 10-20 years back when AAA games were on the level of indie games now.

As far as RPG's go, I think we're in a new golden age, first one being the early 90s with gold box, second being Black Isle / Interplay period and now third with a myriad of indie developers as well as AAA studios making great RPG's.

Not to mention the huge amount of awesome strategy games (Rimworld, Banished etc.), survival games or even roguelikes. If you can't find anything to play in the year 2020, maybe you're just not that interested in playing anymore?

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 07/03/20 11:40 AM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
How is it possible to pay tribute to that thing when you know little about it, and choose to eschew the things that made it what it was?

Did you change topics from what you quoted? I fail to see how individual people not liking particular elements of the original games (which I assume this is a reference to) means the entire team can not make a suitable game. Especially since, as I stated, some BG1&2 fans share the same opinions.
For what you quoted, with a junior environmental artist asked to make a tree, with or without knowing about a game released before they were born (when the internal announcement was made), it makes no difference to the tree.

veteran
veteran
I really don't agree with a third "golden age" because I think there are not many games we'll still play/talk/remember as a legendary experience in 20 years.
That's not equal as saying there are no good game at the moment of course.

I think the main problem is the way video game industry has evolved.
Now, games to be "succesfull" has to sell millions of copy. I think It's usualy less about passion and amazing/unique video games experience (many "... -like" , same receipe and mecanics that comes again and again),...but more about money.
Just look to the amount of money they spend in marketing, this is just amazing. Video games is now one of the biggest industry in the world.

I'm really convince if Larian's was so sucessfull with DoS 1 and DoS 2, it's bacause they were a "little" studio, that had to use crowdfunding to create 2 games with so much passion. They took their time to create their own receipe and this receipe clearly works.
They showed passion can still match with the industry.

II really think they're slowly moving from passion to money now they are more confident, such many others before them.

That's a reason why I'm not confident anymore with BG3 in their hands, but this is opinion and personnal analyses, certainly not a way to open another useless discussion.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/20 01:15 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really don't agree with a third "golden age" because there are not many games we'll still play/talk/remember as a legendary experience in 20 years.

Hah, you know what they say about predicting the future. There are two types of predictions, lucky or wrong.

I think the main problem is the way video game industry has evolved.
Now, games to be "succesfull" has to sell millions of copy. I think It's usualy less about passion and amazing/unique video games experience (many "... -like" , same receipe and mecanics that comes again and again),...but more about money.
Just look to the amount of money they spend in marketing, this is just amazing. Video games is now one of the biggest industry in the world

I take it that you don't play indie games? I suggest looking into games by Obsidian as well as Atom RPG, Pathfinder and other indie RPG's.

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 07/03/20 01:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
As many here, you're really boring playing on every words.
I add a "I think", so you can just stop answering to say nothing...

And guess what ? Owlcat HAS to convince fans (passion needed) BEFORE creating ther games, such Obsidian before Microsoft enter the game...
Don't create me a life because you know nothing about me and games I'm playing...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/20 01:20 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman

To be fair, people weren't really playing Baldur's Gate before they got re-released. Well I was, but modding the games to run like EE's was a pain in the ass. BGTUTU for example, it took so much tinkering that your average gamer had no interest in. So I guess whether current RPG's will be played in 20 years or not depends on if they'll be kept alive by updating and possibly re-releasing them.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus

To be fair, people weren't really playing Baldur's Gate before they got re-released. Well I was, but modding the games to run like EE's was a pain in the ass. BGTUTU for example, it took so much tinkering that your average gamer had no interest in. So I guess whether current RPG's will be played in 20 years or not depends on if they'll be kept alive by updating and possibly re-releasing them.

And you're again talking about you as "poeple".
Lot's of people still played BG before EE exists... And lots of people still plays the original games even if the EE exists...
Maybe you don't, but that's not why it isn't true.

On the other hand I can absolutely agree than some players re-discover (or discover) the game with EE.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/20 01:22 PM.

journeyman
journeyman

Lot's of people still played BG before EE exists... And lots of people still plays the original games even if the EE exists...

Not that many as it was out of print. You could only get it illegally from torrent sites for a long time, and BG1 especially wasn't a good experience due to its outdated engine. Sure now it's easy, just buy it from GOG for ten bucks and you can choose which version you want.

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 07/03/20 01:23 PM.
veteran
veteran

Not that many as it was out of print. You could only get it illegally from torrent sites for a long time, and BG1 especially wasn't a good experience due to its outdated engine.

Ok you're right again if it pleasures you.
It's just impossible to speak with someone like you...

journeyman
journeyman

Ok you're right again if it pleasures you.
It's just impossible to speak with someone like you...

I'm just stating simple facts my friend. Re-releasing a game naturally gets new players playing it. Did you actually play the games on a modern computer pre-EE's? Modding BG1 to play on the BG2 engine + wide screen support was a pain in the ass.

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 07/03/20 01:25 PM.
Page 15 of 61 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard