Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Cirolle
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
Originally Posted by Blade238
This is not about what fans want, this is about the disingenuous way that Larian PR keeps throwing things under the bus because of "ease" or "familiarity".

It is horrible behaviour that proved Larian is just a corporate tool for Wizards now. That is why I am boycotting.

It's interesting how you can use the term disingenuous when describing Larian, however, happen to blatantly lie in your OP and continued posts without any evidence.

How am I lying?

Ummm

"Senior Combat Designer Hasn't Even Played BG1 or 2"

Maybe you are reading a different article from the one I linked, where he states that he didn't play 1, and only vaguely remembers 2, because he was a Final Fantasy fan?

journeyman
journeyman

[/quote]
Maybe you are reading a different article from the one I linked, where he states that he didn't play 1, and only vaguely remembers 2, because he was a Final Fantasy fan?[/quote]

So did he play Bg2 or not?

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Oh, I see, you think rhetoric is disingenuous.

How about the rhetoric of calling this game a sequel of Baldur's Gate when it shares absolutely nothing with the previous games except canonical setting?

How about the rhetoric of suggesting that the gameplay reveal looked nothing like Divinity?

Last edited by kungfukappa; 06/03/20 11:40 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

How about the rhetoric of calling this game a sequel of Baldur's Gate when it shares absolutely nothing with the previous games except canonical setting?

How about the rhetoric of suggesting that the gameplay reveal looked nothing like Divinity?

EXTRA! EXTRA!

KUNGFUKAPPA SAYS GAMEPLAY REVEAL LOOKS NOTHING LIKE DIVINITY

He then goes on to talk about how great it is that there are so many things that are shared between BG3 and previous games

Banned
OP Offline
Banned

EXTRA! EXTRA!

He then goes on to talk about how great it is that there are so many things that are shared between BG3 and previous games

Show in the article where the senior combat designer says one good thing about Baldur's Gate. You are a child.

journeyman
journeyman

EXTRA! EXTRA!

Show in the article where the senior combat designer says one good thing about Baldur's Gate. You are a child.

I was pointing out your subject for the post, nothing else. And that was because you asked someone else when you lied.

Your response doesn't even make sense if applied to my satiric post of your last post.
I have no interest in pointing out obvious things to you that others have already tried.

But you did lie in the subject of your post.

Oh.. You are an old person? Or something

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Weird. It's like the combat designer does not need to know how BG 1 & 2 played, since BG3 is in a new engine, with a different system (TB instead of RTwP).
What, at all, would the Senior Combat Designer take away from two 20 year old games that would work in this new one?

Story designer: Sure. You want the story to feel like the proper tone for BG.
The artists working on the cities and such? Yeah! Gotta make sure it looks like a BG game..within reason (graphics were allot simpler 20 years ago)

But combat? That is the least-needed thing to take away from BG 1 & 2.

This, exactly.

S
veteran
veteran
S
id like to point out, because it seems to be forgotten: THIS IS A LIE, HE DID PLAY IT

journeyman
journeyman
I cant believe that people really go trough Interviews, interprating
every word, even the order, like in a Dark Souls game, just to get even more mad.

Support
Support
What this means is that he is all too happy to reject RTwP because it is too much work for him to try something that is challenging.

The senior combat designer did not unilaterally decide on the combat system. Multiple people had input into that discussion, but I assure you, no large scale decisions that effect the future of the company are decided by a single employee, senior or not.
If the decision made was to go with RTwP, and your unfounded speculation was correct, he would not be the senior combat designer for this project.

I am cynical enough to say that the issue with TB is that it is all Larian knows and so they aren't willing to try something out of their comfort zone.

Have you bothered looking at the previous Larian games? There are more than two.

So when Wizards came along and said "we want your game to sell the D&D table top experience" Larian breathed a sigh of relief, and so now their entire communications strategy revolves around "bringing the table top experience, which is turn based" ...

Um... D:OS did quite well, D:OS 2 was looking very promising, but somehow you figure Larian was worried about continuing to make games with turn based combat?
What's the excuse for Fallen Heroes, then? (currently on hold, because it grew beyond the scope of the resources assigned to it)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze
What this means is that he is all too happy to reject RTwP because it is too much work for him to try something that is challenging.

The senior combat designer did not unilaterally decide on the combat system. Multiple people had input into that discussion, but I assure you, no large scale decisions that effect the future of the company are decided by a single employee, senior or not.
If the decision made was to go with RTwP, and your unfounded speculation was correct, he would not be the senior combat designer for this project.

I am cynical enough to say that the issue with TB is that it is all Larian knows and so they aren't willing to try something out of their comfort zone.

Have you bothered looking at the previous Larian games? There are more than two.

So when Wizards came along and said "we want your game to sell the D&D table top experience" Larian breathed a sigh of relief, and so now their entire communications strategy revolves around "bringing the table top experience, which is turn based" ...

Um... D:OS did quite well, D:OS 2 was looking very promising, but somehow you figure Larian was worried about continuing to make games with turn based combat?
What's the excuse for Fallen Heroes, then? (currently on hold, because it grew beyond the scope of the resources assigned to it)

There is still the fact that you did went with a number of DOS2-exclusive design choices for BG3, trampling more traditional staples of the saga. Did you ditch a more traditional approach merely in the name of convenience or we will see justifications?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

There is still the fact that you did went with a number of DOS2-exclusive design choices for BG3, trampling more traditional staples of the saga. Did you ditch a more traditional approach merely in the name of convenience or we will see justifications?

You do realize they did not have to keep old staples just because you want the good old days back, right?

Things change, It's been twenty years, and people are either complaining about assets that can/will be changed before it hits early access, or upset they did not keep a 20 year old, sup-par combat system simply because 'that's how it was'.

T
T

each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG

I hate to break this to you, but there are fans of BG 1 and 2 who think RTwP is messy. There are fans who like RTwP combat and still think it can get messy.

Whenever I talk about Baldurs Gate with my friends we always agree that RTwP is less than ideal. However, the games had very little to do for characters who werent spell casters. Like, did you ever do anything with Minsc except have him swing his sword? Yea ok, use a healing potion, but that was it. Same with your rogue/archer, they did nothing but autoattack.

More recent game systems have every class basically able to use abilities every turn so its quite different. I could imagine BG1/2 with TB combat being quite underwhelming.

But even with RTwP BG1/2 are both on my top 10 list of greatest games of all time.

veteran
veteran
I really think people forget that no one said "BG3 HAVE to be like BG1 and 2"...
Of course things had changed, and of course RTwP as wa experienced it it way too old school.
Those 46% voting for RTwP are not all saying the gameplay should run the exact same way it did in BG1 and 2 (or in new "oldschool rpg" that use the exact same receipe).
Such as 53% in favor of TB never said it should be like DoS (this is obvious, 1st point is the rules that aren't the same).
But this is not the point of this topic.

I really have the feelings that lots of people here don"t really know WHY BG1 and BG2 are legendary games (nearly everyone agrees to say that, players, press,...).
It's not just about D&D, it's not just about the story, it's not just about general gameplay... It's an addiction of many things you can't understand playing those games now : if you play Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 for the first (or second) time today (or even for the past 10 years I have to admit it...), it just looks like an old game...

I think that's a reason why discussions are so complicated between "hardcore" fans, those who just like it because they always loved D&D and it's one of the biggest adaptations in video games, the new players wathever their experience etc...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/20 08:01 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Torque

each time a member of Larian opens up to the press, they reveal more and more how little they actually care for or like BG

I hate to break this to you, but there are fans of BG 1 and 2 who think RTwP is messy. There are fans who like RTwP combat and still think it can get messy.

Whenever I talk about Baldurs Gate with my friends we always agree that RTwP is less than ideal. However, the games had very little to do for characters who werent spell casters. Like, did you ever do anything with Minsc except have him swing his sword? Yea ok, use a healing potion, but that was it. Same with your rogue/archer, they did nothing but autoattack.

More recent game systems have every class basically able to use abilities every turn so its quite different. I could imagine BG1/2 with TB combat being quite underwhelming.

But even with RTwP BG1/2 are both on my top 10 list of greatest games of all time.

Obsdian had a special problem with PoE and Deadfire when it comes to RTwP: as soon as "mundane" classes like fighters, rangers etc. received more active abilities the RTwP combat became more and more convoluted since you had to micromanage every character. In BG I/II there are often several party members who just ran around and hit with auto-attacks. Only casters needed special micromanagment. That led to the bahavior in PoE that players - after reaching certain levels of XP and game mechanics expertise - tended to just select all characters, attacked one enemy until dead, rinse and repeat - because the alternative (micromanage every char) became too tedious and complicated. Also more active abilities meant more VFX on screen which didn't go too well with the RTwP approach: multiple players complaied that they couldn't really keep track (visually) what was happening. THis was one of the reasons why they reduced party size from 6 to 5 in Deadfire and put mor work into a sophisticated player-AI scripting tool. This is pulled from conversations and interviews or talks with/of Obsidian devs.

Turn Based has other disadvantages (like taking potentially longer for example or the tendency of feeling too much like a puzzle/being too abstract), but those problems I mentioned above it has not.

And for the record: I am a die-hard PoE/Deadfire player and an old BG fan and only played them with RTwP mode, not Turn Based. But I also played a lot of TB games and find them great, too. Depends on the game and how well everything fits together or how the encounters and combat mechanics are designed. So pleaso no comments like "no real BG fan/hates RTwP".

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really think people forget that no one said "BG3 HAVE to be like BG1 and 2"...

I really have the feelings that lots of people here don"t really know WHY BG1 and BG2 are legendary games (nearly everyone agrees to say that, players, press,...).
It's not just about D&D, it's not just about the story, it's not just about general gameplay... It's an addiction of many things you can't understand playing those games now : if you play Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 for the first (or second) time today (or even for the past 10 years I have to admit it...), it just looks like an old game...

You're right, that wasn't the point of this topic. The point of this topic was to make a completely fallacious and misleading post in order to produce more animosity for the game or to outright troll. I'm honestly not sure why this topic wasn't just locked to begin with since there's no positive discussion that can possibly come from this.

As to this second bolded statement, this seems to be especially the case for you and some of the other members here. After all, you're saying how this IP is so legendary and how this can't possibly be a Baldur's Gate game, but then go on to say it's not due to any aspects of the game. If it's not gameplay, artistic direction, setting or lore, then what left is there?

An IP is defined by its lore first and foremost, the rest may make the media more enjoyable, but it's not what defines the IP, thus there's no point to any of these discussions. If the game were released and the lore/universe bastardizes like Fallout 3 or Fallout 76 did, then that'd be different. Thus far we haven't seen anything like Fallout 3's Super Mutants, FEV, Enclave and so on.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

You do realize they did not have to keep old staples just because you want the good old days back, right?

Things change, It's been twenty years, and people are either complaining about assets that can/will be changed before it hits early access, or upset they did not keep a 20 year old, sup-par combat system simply because 'that's how it was'.

It may shock you, but I'm not talking about RtwP.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blade238
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

You're right, that wasn't the point of this topic. The point of this topic was to make a completely fallacious and misleading post in order to produce more animosity for the game or to outright troll. I'm honestly not sure why this topic wasn't just locked to begin with since there's no positive discussion that can possibly come from this.

As to this second bolded statement, this seems to be especially the case for you and some of the other members here. After all, you're saying how this IP is so legendary and how this can't possibly be a Baldur's Gate game, but then go on to say it's not due to any aspects of the game. If it's not gameplay, artistic direction, setting or lore, then what left is there?

An IP is defined by its lore first and foremost, the rest may make the media more enjoyable, but it's not what defines the IP, thus there's no point to any of these discussions. If the game were released and the lore/universe bastardizes like Fallout 3 or Fallout 76 did, then that'd be different. Thus far we haven't seen anything like Fallout 3's Super Mutants, FEV, Enclave and so on.

I never said this BG3 can't be a BG game. I said (on other topics) I really fear because of what they showed. The is very different.

And I also never said it's NOT about gameplay, artistic direction, settings or lore. I said it's not JUST ABOUT this (dependings of what you include in "gameplay"). This is also very different.

I think (and said on other topics too) it's too early to have definitive opinions about things like artistic direction because this is what they can "easily" change. It doesn't mean we can't have feelings about many other things due to the video they showed, such all players are doing to say this game is going to be incredible, bad, in the average, or to have opinions about what LOOKS cool or not.

Oh and last thing, I never said this game is going to be bad wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/20 08:49 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Boeroer
Obsdian had a special problem with PoE and Deadfire when it comes to RTwP: as soon as "mundane" classes like fighters, rangers etc. received more active abilities the RTwP combat became more and more convoluted since you had to micromanage every character. In BG I/II there are often several party members who just ran around and hit with auto-attacks. Only casters needed special micromanagment. That led to the bahavior in PoE that players - after reaching certain levels of XP and game mechanics expertise - tended to just select all characters, attacked one enemy until dead, rinse and repeat - because the alternative (micromanage every char) became too tedious and complicated. Also more active abilities meant more VFX on screen which didn't go too well with the RTwP approach: multiple players complaied that they couldn't really keep track (visually) what was happening. THis was one of the reasons why they reduced party size from 6 to 5 in Deadfire and put mor work into a sophisticated player-AI scripting tool. This is pulled from conversations and interviews or talks with/of Obsidian devs.

Turn Based has other disadvantages (like taking potentially longer for example or the tendency of feeling too much like a puzzle/being too abstract), but those problems I mentioned above it has not.

And for the record: I am a die-hard PoE/Deadfire player and an old BG fan and only played them with RTwP mode, not Turn Based. But I also played a lot of TB games and find them great, too. Depends on the game and how well everything fits together or how the encounters and combat mechanics are designed. So pleaso no comments like "no real BG fan/hates RTwP".

Josh Sawyer based a lots of POE class design on 5e/4e, so that series is a good example of what 5e in RTwP would look like.

As for TB being longer, I played Deadfire in both RTwP and TB and with all the pausing I had to do in RTwP even with the AI (I admit I didn't make anything complex), TB wasn't any longer on the same difficulty outside a few of the larger boat fights (too many bodies). Some Boss fights were even shorter than in RTwP. I also found using spellcaster much more entertaining in TB and used consumables more often as speed wasn't as much of factor anymore.

T
T
Originally Posted by azarhal

As for TB being longer, I played Deadfire in both RTwP and TB and with all the pausing I had to do in RTwP even with the AI (I admit I didn't make anything complex), TB wasn't any longer on the same difficulty outside a few of the larger boat fights (too many bodies). Some Boss fights were even shorter than in RTwP. I also found using spellcaster much more entertaining in TB and used consumables more often as speed wasn't as much of factor anymore.

Casting area of effect spells is quite unsatisfactory in RTwP, having enemies move around or accidentaly hitting one of your own. Turn-based does make it alot easier though, like if you played Pathfinder with the TB mod you'll know how broken Grease is. Half the enemies just taking a nap every fight.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard