Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
enthusiast
enthusiast
I vote for Baldur's Gate: Three or Baldur's Gate 3 after the Dead three that are somehow involved in the outcome of the game.

addict
addict
I vote for Baldur's Gate Five!

[Linked Image]

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
I vote for Baldur's Gate: Absolution after the Cult of the Absolute that is showing up in Baldur's Gate recently that coincides with many of the bad omens.

+1

this should be upvoted

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gmazca

-I can see drinking a potion being a bonus action. I've often house ruled my games to do this. However, if you want to give a potion to another character, it should be an action.

That sounds fine to me simply because of attrition. If you need to drink a potion, it's because you're damaged, and if that's all you can do, you're likely to immediately get damaged back up again anyway. So yeah, Bonus to use on yourself, full action to use on someone else.

Another thing that worries me is Shove, Jump, and Disengage being bonus actions. Disengage being a bonus action takes that unique utility away from rogues specifically. Shove/Jump being bonus actions skew the power curve towards classes like Fighter and Barbarian as they get bonuses to Shove.

That's a fair point, but I see a way that could work: You can use a shove or use a jump to disengage once per combat... but Rogues can use that once a combat round. So that way, non-Rogues get one escape, while actual Rogues can do that on every turn if they want.

Shoves should be done against an opposed Strength check, but you get Advantage on the check if the enemy is flanked or is unaware of your presence.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by MaxBRN
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock
Cool what I would like to now about Baldur’s Gate 3 is will we be able to pick a deity without being a divine class in Baldur’s Gate 1 and Baldur’s Gate 2 you had to be a cleric to be able to pick a deity also will we have the aberrant mind sorcerer in Baldur’s Gate 3

Dude, Aberrant mind is UA content. It's not even in publication yet. Why would it be in the actual game?

Originally Posted by H0RSE

1. The overall aesthetic did not look/feel like Baldur's Gate, and I'm not even talking about the fact that it's in 3D now. The atmosphere, the sound, the tone, even the UI, none of it really looked like BG.

2. The lack of rtwp combat. Yes, it really is that big of a deal, as it is a fundamental feature of all of the old Infinity Engine games, and even the NWN games. You could even look at it as the feature that separates those that are looking to play a BG game and those that are looking to play a 5e DND game set in the BG world. I say just add the option to play either turn-based or rtwp.

1. You saw next to none of the game. Nobody so far has been able to actually quantify this to me in a way that didn't sound like "Why doesn't this look and sound like a 20 year old game that had half of it's design choices made out of necessity rather than preference?"

2. It's a big deal to you, and a very vocal minority. It's a big deal TO YOU. And guess what? Most people care way more about a 5e DND game "Set in the BG world" (Which isn't actually a thing. Baldur's Gate is a city. In Faerun. It's been revisited in all sorts of other media, and those 2 games don't have a monopoly on it).

And the very idea that they should go through the trouble of letting you play Turn-Based or RWTP is just...unreasonable to the point of almost being arrogant. It's not flipping a switch, dude.

I'm genuinely sorry that you can't look past nostalgia and unfounded expectations to see the quality of what's already there, or it's potential. I'm sorry that your dogma has rendered you unable to look forward to what, to pretty much EVERYONE ELSE'S view was a fantastic and promising taste of a pre-alpha game.

You're going to be disappointed, and it's not really anyone else's fault.

Because Baldur's Gate 3 was clearly the inspiration for Aberrant Mind Sorcerer, in fact it could have been designed for BG3 specifically, but Larian wanted the basic mechanics tested out, without showing their hand early, so maybe they asked wizards to slip it into a UA so they could get early feedback on it. Heck perhaps they are planning Player Options/and or Forgotten Realms Campaign Book for later this year with BG3 tie ins, including the class variant features in it too (which could find itself into BG3).

A
addict
addict
A
dip arrow into fire was already a thing in dos2. don't like that idea because fire needs to be conveniently available in the environment or you actually need to spend skill to create fire in the ground 1st. luckily they have fire arrows purchasable or craftable. i hope it stays the same if they are implementing it in.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by ThreeL
Originally Posted by Wiborg Sturmfels

2. It's a big deal to you, and a very vocal minority. It's a big deal TO YOU. And guess what? Most people care way more about a 5e DND game "Set in the BG world" (Which isn't actually a thing. Baldur's Gate is a city. In Faerun. It's been revisited in all sorts of other media, and those 2 games don't have a monopoly on it).

Are you able to quantify the "very vocal minority"?

Are you able to quantify the "Most people" who care more about a 5e D&D game?

I agree with you that Baldur´s Gate is a city at the Sword Coast in Faerûn in the Forgotten Realms. I also agree that it´s been revisited in other medias. It´s also right, that BG1 and BG2 don´t have a monopoly on it´s name. But the question is - at least for me - why is it called Baldur´s Gate III?

True.

And i would say most people dont care about an exact adaptation of D&D. For the people who want it: BG3 isnt obviously when you know D&D

I'm not sure about everyone.. i see in social media everyone is talking about D&D and that's why it's called BG3. the earlier games was awesome never did in actually have the thoughts that it's ALL about D&D. the game was so unique more than a decade ago. the music.. heck i even have the OST in my phone and i listen to them when i sleep. i still remember about .. "heya! it's me imoen".. minsc & boo, jaheira.. and in bg2 i like aerie? her romance music kicks in was so magical. and i really love the jokes jan & jansen makes about turnips.

although the graphics and visuals were old.. the feel, the art, the environments, the ambience gave all the feel that you are actually in athkatla!. all i'm hearing now BG was about turn-based and D&D and that's what makes them memorable. this wasn't even the case for me at all.

the demo i saw in BG3 has nothing of that. i'm not even sure these people even played the old games or they are actually just "influencers"? you know nowadays publishers, developers really love them? because they can "influence" alot of people.. basically just marketers. some even argued bg3 was a blessings because old bg was "crappy". seriously? so the idea was to appeal to people who hated the old bg game?

Last edited by Archaven; 07/03/20 06:46 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Archaven
Originally Posted by ThreeL
Originally Posted by Wiborg Sturmfels

Are you able to quantify the "very vocal minority"?

Are you able to quantify the "Most people" who care more about a 5e D&D game?

I agree with you that Baldur´s Gate is a city at the Sword Coast in Faerûn in the Forgotten Realms. I also agree that it´s been revisited in other medias. It´s also right, that BG1 and BG2 don´t have a monopoly on it´s name. But the question is - at least for me - why is it called Baldur´s Gate III?

True.

And i would say most people dont care about an exact adaptation of D&D. For the people who want it: BG3 isnt obviously when you know D&D

I'm not sure about everyone.. i see in social media everyone is talking about D&D and that's why it's called BG3. the earlier games was awesome never did in actually have the thoughts that it's ALL about D&D. the game was so unique more than a decade ago. the music.. heck i even have the OST in my phone and i listen to them when i sleep. i still remember about .. "heya! it's me imoen".. minsc & boo, jaheira.. and in bg2 i like aerie? her romance music kicks in was so magical. and i really love the jokes jan & jansen makes about turnips.

although the graphics and visuals were old.. the feel, the art, the environments, the ambience gave all the feel that you are actually in athkatla!. all i'm hearing now BG was about turn-based and D&D and that's what makes them memorable. this wasn't even the case for me at all.

the demo i saw in BG3 has nothing of that. i'm not even sure these people even played the old games or they are actually just "influencers"? you know nowadays publishers, developers really love them? because they can "influence" alot of people.. basically just marketers. some even argued bg3 was a blessings because old bg was "crappy". seriously? so the idea was to appeal to people who hated the old bg game?

I agree with the first bit, but who said crappy?

I’ve read and heard only that some within Larian disliked the combat system.
Several others love the games and the lore and the setting, do we ignore them and only focus on certain individuals to make a point?

Did (or does) everyone who worked at BioWare 100% like everything about their own games whilst making them?

veteran
veteran
Your reasoning for not having daynight cycle "because multiplayer" is one of the most idiotic I've ever seen.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Your reasoning for not having daynight cycle "because multiplayer" is one of the most idiotic I've ever seen.

I do wish the interviewer would have pushed a bit for him to elaborate on that. He did give other, better reasons for leaving it out but that one was really stupid, yeah.

stranger
stranger
Still wondering what subreddit the AMA takes place in.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by perfect
Still wondering what subreddit the AMA takes place in.

That will hopefully anounnced soon. I also hope that no questions will be asked that have already been answered in interviews

A
stranger
stranger
A
oh u and ur grey morality which has been present in so many games. u r so boring and full of cliches

apprentice
apprentice
I vote for Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor 2.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I vote for Neverwinter Nights 3

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
Originally Posted by Xary
In the demo many, oh so many, D&D rule where cast aside for a game that repeat to want to be more rule adherent than the predecessors, for example:
-Drinking a potion require 1 Action (not bonus)
-Casting Mage Hand require 1 Action (not free/bonus)
-Imparting the command to Mage Hand require 1 Action
-Mage Hand can't attack (Pushing is an attack), and could interact only with object, not creature
Have a nice video with the rule of the spell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPzso8TvvSU
-Putting a Bow in the fire doesn't give you a magical fire bow, but only some coal, a burned string and a burned hand...
-You need arrow to use the bow
-You need time to remove your boots, isn't a free action
-If you want to use the light for stealth remember that if you are in the dark but in front of a light source, the enemy could see your silhuette
-Alignment is essential for D&D, unless now my Cleric of Ilmater will be able to maintaining all the power after drinking the blood of cute baby halfling
- There will be fix to all this rule or i have to play a game losely based on D&D5ED?

-I can see drinking a potion being a bonus action. I've often house ruled my games to do this. However, if you want to give a potion to another character, it should be an action.

-I agree with all of the Mage Hand stuff. Mage Hand is really just a tool to help navigate traps and puzzles. It's combat utility should be limited unless playing an Arcane Trickster Rogue.

-I don't see the big deal about being able to dip an arrow in fire to get a bit of fire damage added to the attack. Also, I find managing ammunition for weapons tedious. Unless they are super special arrows/bolts, I really don't want to mess with it. I never track ammunition in table top D&D.

-Agree with the time taken to remove boots. Now, if the boots were just in your bags, withdrawing them could be a free action. But if you're wearing them? Yeah, they need time to be removed.

-I'm not sure how much more sophisticated they can make the light/shadow system. To take silhouettes into account seems to be a lot of unnecessary work imo. It would also make things tough on the player.

-Alignment is absolutely NOT essential for D&D. 5th Edition has moved away from it so drastically that it's barely referenced anymore. The focus is on character choices and character agency. Instead of saying, "What would a Lawful Good Cleric do in this situation?" it becomes "What would MY CHARACTER do in this situation?" Alignment puts a character into an unnecessary box. Just think about what kind of character you want and stay true to it with their actions. No doubt BG3 will be tracking your morality in one way or another.

Another thing that worries me is Shove, Jump, and Disengage being bonus actions. Disengage being a bonus action takes that unique utility away from rogues specifically. Shove/Jump being bonus actions skew the power curve towards classes like Fighter and Barbarian as they get bonuses to Shove.

Why does everyone say alignment means nothing when every creature is giving an alignment and theres a page dedicated to it in the rules.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by wpmaura
Originally Posted by Xary
In the demo many, oh so many, D&D rule where cast aside for a game that repeat to want to be more rule adherent than the predecessors, for example:
-Drinking a potion require 1 Action (not bonus)
-Casting Mage Hand require 1 Action (not free/bonus)
-Imparting the command to Mage Hand require 1 Action
-Mage Hand can't attack (Pushing is an attack), and could interact only with object, not creature
Have a nice video with the rule of the spell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPzso8TvvSU
-Putting a Bow in the fire doesn't give you a magical fire bow, but only some coal, a burned string and a burned hand...
-You need arrow to use the bow
-You need time to remove your boots, isn't a free action
-If you want to use the light for stealth remember that if you are in the dark but in front of a light source, the enemy could see your silhuette
-Alignment is essential for D&D, unless now my Cleric of Ilmater will be able to maintaining all the power after drinking the blood of cute baby halfling
- There will be fix to all this rule or i have to play a game losely based on D&D5ED?

-I agree with all of the Mage Hand stuff. Mage Hand is really just a tool to help navigate traps and puzzles. It's combat utility should be limited unless playing an Arcane Trickster Rogue.

-I don't see the big deal about being able to dip an arrow in fire to get a bit of fire damage added to the attack. Also, I find managing ammunition for weapons tedious. Unless they are super special arrows/bolts, I really don't want to mess with it. I never track ammunition in table top D&D.

-Agree with the time taken to remove boots. Now, if the boots were just in your bags, withdrawing them could be a free action. But if you're wearing them? Yeah, they need time to be removed.

-I'm not sure how much more sophisticated they can make the light/shadow system. To take silhouettes into account seems to be a lot of unnecessary work imo. It would also make things tough on the player.

-Alignment is absolutely NOT essential for D&D. 5th Edition has moved away from it so drastically that it's barely referenced anymore. The focus is on character choices and character agency. Instead of saying, "What would a Lawful Good Cleric do in this situation?" it becomes "What would MY CHARACTER do in this situation?" Alignment puts a character into an unnecessary box. Just think about what kind of character you want and stay true to it with their actions. No doubt BG3 will be tracking your morality in one way or another.

Why does everyone say alignment means nothing when every creature is giving an alignment and theres a page dedicated to it in the rules.

I agree with you if the alignments did not matter you would have devils and demons teaming up the only reason why there are at war is that devils are lawful and demons are chaotic

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
A
addict
addict
A
Speaking of demon, the design of demon in character design don't like it so much. Maybe it's the design.. I don't know how to describe it though. Doesn't look traditional demon. More like a modern demon.

i'm not sure what's wrong with larian's version of demon. was it too modern? too smooth? engine limitation? art direction? his clothes?

https://pasteboard.co/IY7Intq.jpg

here are references of some of the very detail design of fantasy demon:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/488710997039609087/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/833517843517418138/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/732327589390903921/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/300544975135857518/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/726064771161350337/

Last edited by Archaven; 08/03/20 10:09 AM.
veteran
veteran
What about creating good teams, bad teams or what is between ?
I think it's really important for role play, with consequences for the way players choose.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Archaven
Speaking of demon, the design of demon in character design don't like it so much. Maybe it's the design.. I don't know how to describe it though. Doesn't look traditional demon. More like a modern demon.

i'm not sure what's wrong with larian's version of demon. was it too modern? too smooth? engine limitation? art direction? his clothes?

https://pasteboard.co/IY7Intq.jpg

here are references of some of the very detail design of fantasy demon:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/488710997039609087/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/833517843517418138/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/732327589390903921/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/300544975135857518/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/726064771161350337/

You aren't familiar with D&D, I think.
The character in the clip of BG3 is almost certainly a Cambion, an half humanoid/ half fiend (fiend is a word used to indicate both demon and devil), and if you look closely it's similar to the third image you posted that is called Cambion, only with more big horn, and dressed as a noble instead that as a fighter. The bigger horn could depend on the humanoid parent.. She/He could be a Tiefling, a race of umanoid touched in ancient time by demon/devil characterized by great horn in modern art... Also the tiefling themselves could be the descendant of cambion with other humanoid...
If you want to see some of the Demons Prince of D&D, take a look to this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26idR0QYAY&feature=emb_title
(In order: the minotaur with flame in the head is Baphomet Lord of the Beast, the eye in the green/black mass is Juiblex Lord of the Oozes, the femalelike thing that seems to hug an human is Zuggtmoi Queen of the Fungi, the big one with a skull as the head and another skull on a wand is Orcus Lord of the Undead, the one with two head and four tentacle is Demogorgon). Under all this demon prince there are both demon with iconical look (like the Balor) and more strange one
Balor (one type of the great demons with the iconical look)
https://www.pinterest.it/pin/613193305488163814/
Marilith (one type of the great demons with a not iconical look)
https://www.pinterest.it/pin/534661787015895149/
here all the tanar'ri (the most common uber-type of demon)
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Tanar%27ri

Last edited by Xary; 08/03/20 11:46 AM.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard