Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 61 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 60 61
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
That's right, I think (and you seem to be agree) using another name than Baldur's Gate "3" wouldn't have changed a thing for them.

That's the exact reason why many people think Larian spit on them (and why discussions are so hard and emotional)

They have the rights, WoTC blabla, I know those things of course.

We don't know what their marketing research told them, so we cannot say if it would or would not have changed anything for them. It is certainly possible that using BG3 is a marketing tactic (not a "cash grab" as some others have said), and that's fine if so. It's a business too.

You're disappointed the game isn't going to be the way you envisioned. I get it and I'm not unsympathetic. But, that doesn't mean it won't come. And I am sure the name doesn't mean as much to the other side either. If Larian was making a game to suite the BG1&2 devotees, but called it something other than BG "3", I doubt there would be much discussion on the matter.

I think you're right again with the last sentences. They won't be such discussions if "the waited game" wasn't named Baldur's Gate 3...
Except many wouldn't understand why it's not named BG3.

BG3 is a legendary name for those that waited for it. They were many illusions during this time, many "spiritual sons", many rumors... It's not something that was waited because of only nostalgia. Some BG3 forum on video games website were created in 2001 and have discussions (more or less due to circumstences) every years and this is the same for BG1 and BG2 forums before the EE comes out.

This name "BG3" is really something important for some players and everyone enjoyed to know it was really coming.

But what we see and what they say about it looks nearly nothing like a Baldur's Gate game... That's why I'm dissapointed.
(please don't say I waited for a game of another ages etc... This is not the point, and this is not true).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/03/20 05:56 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus

I think you're right again with the last sentences. They won't be such discussions if "the waited game" wasn't named Baldur's Gate 3...
Except many wouldn't understand why it's not named BG3.

But what we see and what they say about it looks nearly nothing like a Baldur's Gate game... That's why I'm dissapointed.
(please don't say I waited for a game of another ages etc... This is not the point, and this is not true).

There would likely be some complaints still, but not to the degree that is currently being seen. The main problem is that people are currently making these conclusions without all of the evidence.

What we have right now may look to some more like DOS than BG, but as mentioned by numerous posters and Larian themselves, this is pre-alpha with little to no context, using placeholder assets and without a deal of the content being finalized.

Even when the game is finally released in an alpha early-access state, it will still be utilizing placeholder content, characters, quests, art, gameplay, etc. will still be under development and subject to change.

From what I've gathered the development steps are to 1.) Lay down the lore, narrative, get a plan together, 2.) Get the game in a playable state so that systems can be tested. 3.) Get maps, quests, races, setting and art constructed and slowly implement into the game. 4.) Finalize content and begin polishing. 5.) Release

What we've seen is still at step number 2. When the early access is released, it will still be step number 2 with some of step number 3 being done. Meanwhile step 5 might potentially look like an entirely different game than what was just shown.

Support
Support
I really find interresting Larian Studio ask "what does looking like BG means"

I specifically said I was not involved in the development of BG3 so what I said would not be attributed to Larian as a whole.
Let me clarify further:
- I work remotely, not out of one of the offices.
- I was not present when the internal announcement was made.
- I knew of the project, and stuff was mentioned in passing, but otherwise I made zero effort to learn anything about it.
- I started following the development of the game shortly before the public announcement, because that was when it started to become relevant to my duties.
- I have yet to be consulted on design decisions, and while I can certainly weigh in where applicable, I expect that will continue to be the case for the remainder of development.
- When BG3 is finishing and work starts on project xyz, whatever that may be, this pattern is extremely like to repeat.

Can't you explain why you choose this name and convince players that find this name important ?

The CEO wanted to make BG3 and asked WotC, who initially declined the proposal. A couple years later, WotC contacted Larian and asked if we still wanted to do BG3.
The name is important because that is the project. That came first.

Originally Posted by DaKatarn
I think the main plot is doing a Baldur's Gate game and not just a DD5 game ( Baldur's Gate identity before Dungeons and Dragons identity). It's an important nuance.

Replacing one subjective term with another doesn't really help; the list is better, though.

Incantations should be ready by Early Access.
Lighting/decorations are not finished, and there are various environments in the game, including at the start, which were not shown.
As stated previously, the UI is not done.
You should be happy with the main villain(s).
I'm not sure if level design has been mentioned (will likely be asked in the AMA if not). You could return to earlier regions in D:OS, so there is no engine limit for that, and in D:OS 2 you were escaping a prison, etc, so it didn't make sense in the narrative to return to previous regions.
We are aiming for a similar amount of content as D:OS 2, so 50 to 100+ hours, depending on difficulty level and playstyle. Of course there are going to be side quests and local issues.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze
Originally Posted by kyrthorsen
This is really not about the engine. But to make the game practically IDENTICAL to DOS2??

It was not made to look like D:OS 2, and there are significant differences. During development, games don't start off looking like the final state. The first presentations of D:OS 2 looked like D:OS 1 in a lot of respects, as well. As the core components / systems get finished, and assets are created, they get added to the game.
The save system wasn't added yet in the build used in the presentation, so why do you assume the lighting and camera systems, character models, et al, are finished?

Are you kidding or what?

DOS2 looks a lot like DOS1, the same art style, the same map style, the same story-telling style, the same combat, same items etc.

And now GUESS WHAT - BG3 will have he same art style, the same map style, the same story-telling style, the same combat, same items AS DOS2.

The only tiny little problem with this is that BG is not DOS, and BG3 is actually DOS3.

Of course the Larian fanboys in the house LOVE the fact that DOS3 in disguise as BG3 is being produced.

On the other hand normal people that liked BG games are SHOCKED and STUNNED by the audacity of Larian to sell snake oil like this and promote blatant FALSE ADVERTISING.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

What does looking like BG mean? There have been several topics related to this, and I don't know. A small minority of people mean an isometric camera with 2D graphics. The area around the riverbank in BG3 was too bright and colourful to be BG, despite bright and colourful areas in the first 2 games, and dark areas in the presentation.
I'm not the person to ask about the graphics design for BG3, though, not being involved in the design or development.

Well, I dont mean to be rude but...why dont you go and play BG1 and 2 games and then imagine them with brutally enhanced 3d graphics 20 years later.

But, one word of advice, dont be like Larian and just copy/paste your imagination and creativity from the last game Larian published...because that game is not a BG game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Give them a chance, kyrthorsen. I have bad vibes about some of the design choices that have been made and much more but it doesn't qualify as false advertising.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

What does looking like BG mean? There have been several topics related to this, and I don't know. A small minority of people mean an isometric camera with 2D graphics. The area around the riverbank in BG3 was too bright and colourful to be BG, despite bright and colourful areas in the first 2 games, and dark areas in the presentation.
I'm not the person to ask about the graphics design for BG3, though, not being involved in the design or development.

First of all, it means not looking like DOS1 and DOS2.

When you get that out of the way...everything else opens up.

If Larian says that BG were darker games...well then, you make a darker looking game (ever played Diablo 1, Diablo 2, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Baldurs Gate, most of Infinity Black Isle Games).

These are games that have a darker tone to it...more sinister, serious look.

Larian games on the other hand, have a more light a bit funny looking look.

This is also the art directors and the game designers fault...because really come on...the game looks identical to DOS2, there is no denying this fact.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Is this game being made first and foremost for those who hold BG1 & 2 as the apex of computer RPGs? If not, there is no reason to be so beholden to the original (in whatever way the aforementioned group thinks that should or even can be achieved).

Oh please STOP.

This is not about the original games.

This is SIMPLY about the FACT that the game looks exactly like DOS2.

I wouldnt care less if the game didnt resemble the originals at all.

But what really strikes me hard is that Larian takes the BG franchise and makes it look like DOS2.

I mean really...put some creativity and originality in this game PLEASE.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Well, I dont mean to be rude but...why dont you go and play BG1 and 2 games and then imagine them with brutally enhanced 3d graphics 20 years later.

But, one word of advice, dont be like Larian and just copy/paste your imagination and creativity from the last game Larian published...because that game is not a BG game.

One word of advice? Don't base your comments off of an early demo. (Pre-Alpha means ALLOT) and don't be hostile to one of the crew taking time out to answer questions.

This is not a copy/paste, and it will not look like a copy/paste when it hits early access. Just bloody wait

enthusiast
enthusiast
Is this game being made first and foremost for those who hold BG1 & 2 as the apex of computer RPGs? If not, there is no reason to be so beholden to the original (in whatever way the aforementioned group thinks that should or even can be achieved).

Oh please STOP.

But what really strikes me hard is that Larian takes the BG franchise and makes it look like DOS2.

It. claphands Is. claphands Pre. claphands Alpha. claphands

It. claphands Will. claphands Look. claphands Less. claphands Like. claphands DoS claphands After. claphands More. claphands Time. claphands Being. claphands Worked. claphands On! claphands

(I could not find a normal clap emote)

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by korotama
Give them a chance, kyrthorsen. I have bad vibes about some of the design choices that have been made and much more but it doesn't qualify as false advertising.

The point of this thread is to "give them a chance" as you put it friend.

I would really really like if Larian made a great BG3. That would be great.

However, currently Larian is making DOS3 disguised as BG3 - and I as a consumer and fan BOTH of BG and DOS series, will definitely raise my voice and point out the obvious facts.

The emperor has no clothes people.

Larian - start talking hard with your art people and world design people - they are just making another DOS game.

Also, please for the love of GOD - remove that childish jumping mechanic out of the game ASAP. This is not a Spider man game.

enthusiast
enthusiast

However, currently Larian is making DOS3 disguised as BG3 - and I as a consumer and fan BOTH of BG and DOS series, will definitely raise my voice and point out the obvious facts.

Larian - start talking hard with your art people and world design people - they are just making another DOS game.

Also, please for the love of GOD - remove that childish jumping mechanic out of the game ASAP. This is not a Spider man game.

The gameplay presentation at PAX was only held to showcase combat to my understanding. Larian could have done a better job emphasizing that most of the visuals and assets were just placeholders though so I don't have much pity for them.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Y-you do know that players can jump in D&D, right?
Across gaps, to reach upper ledges. From a higher area onto an enemy to save a friend.

Stop whining about things before the freaking game comes out. I'm sorry but there's no polite way to say it anymore:
You are complaining about a game that IS NOT OUT YET.
If this was early access, then fine; fears would be founded. But it's PRE DAMN ALPHA. 95% of the game WILL change or be added or removed.

Just. Bloody. Wait.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Eguzky

One word of advice? Don't base your comments off of an early demo. (Pre-Alpha means ALLOT) and don't be hostile to one of the crew taking time out to answer questions.

This is not a copy/paste, and it will not look like a copy/paste when it hits early access. Just bloody wait

Wait what - another joke?

They are taking the game EARLY ACCESS this year mate!

This game is already in very mature stages of production.

And YEAH, I WILL base my comment of the demo because that is the only thing I can currently base my comments on.

I was not hostile to anybody...i'm just being sarcastic.

If you or the Larian team member cant take a little bit of sarcasm...well, cant help you with that.

But, I DID NOT make this thread so that Larian's team would answer any questions.

I dont want them to answer questions.

I want them to do their JOBS, make word on their MARKETING and make a REAL BG3, not some DOS clone.

So, Larian team members listen up!!! Stop answering questions and get back to work!

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Oh please STOP.

It. claphands Is. claphands Pre. claphands Alpha. claphands

It. claphands Will. claphands Look. claphands Less. claphands Like. claphands DoS claphands After. claphands More. claphands Time. claphands Being. claphands Worked. claphands On! claphands

(I could not find a normal clap emote)

And how exactly do you know how the game will look later? What you have a magic sphere and you can see in the future.

What the devs need is constructive fanbase feedback...if they continue like this the game will look like this in the end.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

The gameplay presentation at PAX was only held to showcase combat to my understanding. Larian could have done a better job emphasizing that most of the visuals and assets were just placeholders though so I don't have much pity for them.

Well if they intended to showcase only combat then GUESS WHAT - the combat looks exactly like DOS1 and DOS2 combat as well.

addict
addict
On the other hand normal people that liked BG games...

Normal people, huh? Oh boy.

The game will be a synthesis of DOS2 and D&D. Neither a pure reflection of BG2 nor a clone of DOS2.

The only people who care about the name and 'feel' and how unique it does or does not look are the BG 1 & 2 devotees, who represent a small minority of those who will be interested in this game. It would be counter productive to cater the game to their tastes when doing so might drive away the larger number of prospective customers who would otherwise be very interested in it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yep, all they intended was to reveal it was turn-based is my guess.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Y-you do know that players can jump in D&D, right?
Across gaps, to reach upper ledges. From a higher area onto an enemy to save a friend.

Stop whining about things before the freaking game comes out. I'm sorry but there's no polite way to say it anymore:
You are complaining about a game that IS NOT OUT YET.
If this was early access, then fine; fears would be founded. But it's PRE DAMN ALPHA. 95% of the game WILL change or be added or removed.

Just. Bloody. Wait.

Do players jump like spider man or batman in D&D?

Never IMAGINED it looked like that in FR.

Im not whining my friend...im giving the devs some hard and objective critisism.

Judging by this and other threads...most people agree that the game (BG3):

1. does look like DOS2
2. doesnt look like BG1and2

So - here, now if the devs want to improve the game they should FIRST resolve the above mentioned points 1 and 2.

enthusiast
enthusiast
On the other hand normal people that liked BG games...

Normal people, huh? Oh boy.

The game will be a synthesis of DOS2 and D&D. Neither a pure reflection of BG2 nor a clone of DOS2.

The only people who care about the name and 'feel' and how unique it does or does not look are the BG 1 & 2 devotees, who represent a small minority of those who will be interested in this game. It would be counter productive to cater the game to their tastes when doing so might drive away the larger number of prospective customers who would otherwise be very interested in it.

Can you prove this? It's okay to make predictions I was just wondering if you had any hard data.

Page 18 of 61 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard