Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So I haven't seen news on this, but based on DOS 1&2's stellar implementation of controller support, I just assume we will be getting it again this time round...has anyone seen anything confirming this?

Sidenote: I don't like long sessions gaming on my PC with KB+M as my wrists are arthritic and PC+controller on the 4K TV sounds like a much nicer time for me (my wife is the same, for co-op via the game room).

To those who played early access DOS2, did you have controller support then or just after release? I find DOS2 amazing on controller, no speed lost at all.

Last edited by IndySandbagTrick; 10/03/20 05:58 AM.

New Zealand's finest Gith with a dark urge for KFC XX
N
old hand
old hand
N
I was also wondering about this. But as early access will be only on PC, I would rather assume it will be available only at release.

stranger
stranger
+1 to this, I play nearly all my PC games on my TV with controller too, and I would be over the moon to know i can play it my chosen way from Early Access which I fully intend on supporting with my wallet (my dream BG game, BG veteren who loves TB combat).

veteran
veteran
Or Enhanced Edition when the game is ported for consoles?

Correct me, if it am wrong, but didn’t controller support for D:OSs came when the game was ported over? Doing controller support means creating dedicated UI and features, so it’s not a bad idea to do one at a time.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine

Correct me, if it am wrong, but didn’t controller support for D:OSs came when the game was ported over? Doing controller support means creating dedicated UI and features, so it’s not a bad idea to do one at a time.

For DOS1 it came when it was ported over, but for DOS2 it was available before the console port, I believe it was even in version 1.0 (aka release, but not EA).

stranger
stranger
I had Legends of the Sword Coast on X-Box One, and the control scheme was too hard to memorize. Depending on whether the + key was up/down/left/right all the triggers and buttons had different functions, not being very used to controllers I gave up on trying to play it. If the controller implemented it as maybe the + key brings up different quick item/actions that would maybe be do-able. I think I'll try out DOS2 with a controller and see how that works, but keyboard and mouse are fine for turned based.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Garen Runeblade
I had Legends of the Sword Coast on X-Box One, and the control scheme was too hard to memorize. Depending on whether the + key was up/down/left/right all the triggers and buttons had different functions, not being very used to controllers I gave up on trying to play it. If the controller implemented it as maybe the + key brings up different quick item/actions that would maybe be do-able. I think I'll try out DOS2 with a controller and see how that works, but keyboard and mouse are fine for turned based.

Same here I mainly use controls for fighting games like Dragon Ball Xenoverse but when it comes down to rpg games I just stick to a mouse and keyboard

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Wormerine

It was available in the very first release version of DOS2 - way before the console versions dropped: with the gameplay TB as well, it works perfectly with controller too: adventuring from the couch is the business!

Out of my 5 IRL friends interesting in this game, me and one other would.go controller from the start on PC - I quizzed them to find out for accurate research sake lol.

stranger
stranger
Did anyone at either the 3 hour press walkthrough or AMA see anything about controller use at all? The engine looks.perfect for 3rd person controlling especially: looks so good!

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ivory Samoan
Did anyone at either the 3 hour press walkthrough or AMA see anything about controller use at all? The engine looks.perfect for 3rd person controlling especially: looks so good!

Not in the AMA, but I'm thinking Larian knows it is wanted by a fairly good sized chunk of the playerbase with more people on PC connected.to their 4K TVs, I'm quietly confident/hopeful they'll have it up and running for early access.

stranger
stranger
I'm playing PoE1 right now on X1 with controller in self isolation and it's glorious, can't wait fill BG3 Early Access is out and we can do the same then- hopefully!!

Anyone/Larian member, would love an update.. wink

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
With Stadia a go for EA, I take it controller will be that versions control method? Bodes well for us couch PC gamers....

N
old hand
old hand
N
On steam, there is a partial controller support shown. I don't know what to make of it.

journeyman
journeyman
Played DOS1 with mouse+keyboard like most pc strategy, roleplaying and action games the years before. With DOS2 I tried X-Box Controller at PC and it was very comfortable playing, especially multiplayer via offline lan network.

So +1 for controller support, and

+++ for offline lan multiplayer with controller support. wink

Gather your party before venturing forth!
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Nyanko
On steam, there is a partial controller support shown. I don't know what to make of it.

I'm playing Wasteland 3 at the moment, also says partial controller support but the only thing you needed KB+M for was writing your name in the char creation bit....so it'll prob be a similar situation (considering DOS and DOS2 are so, so good on controller with PC).

My nitpick is the people who jump on PC players who prefer controller....I've been a PC gamer since 1984 when dad brought home our first computer, I feel i've earnt the right to kick back on my couch with a controller instead on hunch at my desk occasionally haha.

W
veteran
veteran
W

I'm playing Wasteland 3 at the moment, also says partial controller support but the only thing you needed KB+M for was writing your name in the char creation bit....so it'll prob be a similar situation (considering DOS and DOS2 are so, so good on controller with PC).

My nitpick is the people who jump on PC players who prefer controller....I've been a PC gamer since 1984 when dad brought home our first computer, I feel i've earnt the right to kick back on my couch with a controller instead on hunch at my desk occasionally haha.

Amen. Playing games at a desk is uncomfortable. At this point in my life, I’d much prefer to kick back.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Amen. Playing games at a desk is uncomfortable. At this point in my life, I’d much prefer to kick back.

I truly consider controller RPG gaming the next step in the rising median age of gamers - I'm 40 and I'm so much happier on my couch killing Illithids TBH.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I truly consider controller RPG gaming the next step in the rising median age of gamers - I'm 40 and I'm so much happier on my couch killing Illithids TBH.

I'm 52. I still haven't warmed to controllers after 40-odd years! Which is odd because my typing is still lousy too.

J'aime le fromage.
N
old hand
old hand
N

Well, knowing Larian, they will probably port it to consoles at some point so they must have included the APIs they had in DOS2 or at least make room for them in advance. We'll see in 13 days anyway smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

I'm 52. I still haven't warmed to controllers after 40-odd years! Which is odd because my typing is still lousy too.

I got my first controller last year, and I absolutely love it, but for certain games only. I can't imagine playing something like BG3 with a controller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard