Next Thread
Print Thread
O
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
O
1)

Drow description from the demo: "Those that flee to the surface must mask themselves or be treated as monsters". I'm really hoping that Larian will not mess this up and make an "attack on sight" AI script thing for Drow as with Fane in DOS2. Would many attack a drow on sight? Yes. But in Faerun (feel free to disagree), many would also NOT CARE. And many would find it intriguing even. Should it result in instant combat some places? Sure. Unique dialogue or options other places? YES!

What if I want to explore the RP aspect of an unmasked drow? Will Larian prohibit this experience by some artificial simplicity like Drow=0 or Drow=1 and if 1 initiate combat? Just want your thoughts on this. I love Drow (not the traitor Drizzt type, but they count equally for this in principle). And I'd hate for so much roleplaying possibilities being flushed down the toilet for being forced to wear a mask always.

So the concern is this. Will the "Have to mask themselves..." severely limit RP, for good and worse in relation to your character's well being? I want to be smart about when I mask myself, and live (or die) with the consequences when it was a bad idea not to.

2)

The second concern is this. There's probably a lot of Drizzt fans out there that want to play benevolent or "redeemed" Drow. But what about those of us that wants to play a proper Drow loyal to his or her house? This is like... the first real chance I have in a video game to RP a drow which might have the option to steer the story into a dark place (for the surface dwellers) in that the ending will benefit his/her house or the Drow as a whole. It would be a monumental waste if this wasn't possible IMO.

I'm super hyped about being able to play a Drow. Also, equally concerned about the wording of having to be masked. A Drow should NOT (imo) always have the same negative reception as humanoids would have to a walking dead in DOS2. Any thoughts on this?

stranger
stranger
If Larian fully respects the background and the D&D5 rules, it should be very complicated to play a Drow.

That said, we could already recruit Viconia (female Drow) in BG1.
It influenced the group's reputation and certain dialogues, but nothing dramatic.

Originally Posted by Ouroboros226
1)

Drow description from the demo: "Those that flee to the surface must mask themselves or be treated as monsters". I'm really hoping that Larian will not mess this up and make an "attack on sight" AI script thing for Drow as with Fane in DOS2. Would many attack a drow on sight? Yes. But in Faerun (feel free to disagree), many would also NOT CARE. And many would find it intriguing even. Should it result in instant combat some places? Sure. Unique dialogue or options other places? YES!

What if I want to explore the RP aspect of an unmasked drow? Will Larian prohibit this experience by some artificial simplicity like Drow=0 or Drow=1 and if 1 initiate combat? Just want your thoughts on this. I love Drow (not the traitor Drizzt type, but they count equally for this in principle). And I'd hate for so much roleplaying possibilities being flushed down the toilet for being forced to wear a mask always.

So the concern is this. Will the "Have to mask themselves..." severely limit RP, for good and worse in relation to your character's well being? I want to be smart about when I mask myself, and live (or die) with the consequences when it was a bad idea not to.

2)

The second concern is this. There's probably a lot of Drizzt fans out there that want to play benevolent or "redeemed" Drow. But what about those of us that wants to play a proper Drow loyal to his or her house? This is like... the first real chance I have in a video game to RP a drow which might have the option to steer the story into a dark place (for the surface dwellers) in that the ending will benefit his/her house or the Drow as a whole. It would be a monumental waste if this wasn't possible IMO.

I'm super hyped about being able to play a Drow. Also, equally concerned about the wording of having to be masked. A Drow should NOT (imo) always have the same negative reception as humanoids would have to a walking dead in DOS2. Any thoughts on this?

IN regards to number 2 that sounds like a game unto intself. As a drow you would be beholden by your matriarch to do her bidding and to be honest drow and illthid are not really at war there trading partners.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Ouroboros226
But in Faerun (feel free to disagree), many would also NOT CARE.

I can't really think of places that would be true, but I might agree to situations where it's not attack-on-sight. Especially through Intimidation checks... or godlike Diplomacy checks.

S
veteran
veteran
S
they already did that with undead in os2

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
they already did that with undead in os2

When hidden.

Support
Support

There were characters in D:OS 2 who did not care about unveiled undead (mostly the companions and some of the characters on the Lady Vengeance).

stranger
stranger
My only concern about playing a drow is that in the gameplay demo the drow don’t have the correct starting stat bonuses
In 5e all elves get +2 to dexterity and then depending on the sub race a +1 to another stat hight elves get +1 to intelligence, wood elves get +1 to wisdom, and drow get +1 to charisma but in the demo larian have moved the drow from being a elf subrace to being their own thing and have dropped the +2 to dex ,
I’m worried this will make them weaker than the other races and over all harder to play as.I’m hoping this was a mistake and was just like that in the demo build

enthusiast
enthusiast
My only question about the Drow is in BG3 will there be dialog with the Githyanki the Drow and the Githyanki do not get along in all of the Drow cities have banned Githyanki from entering the cities so if we do go into the Underdark it would be very odd for a Githyanki to be in a Drow city

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
S
veteran
veteran
S
considering th level cap is 10, i dont think well be seeing a drow city

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by shananagens
My only concern about playing a drow is that in the gameplay demo the drow don’t have the correct starting stat bonuses
In 5e all elves get +2 to dexterity and then depending on the sub race a +1 to another stat hight elves get +1 to intelligence, wood elves get +1 to wisdom, and drow get +1 to charisma but in the demo larian have moved the drow from being a elf subrace to being their own thing and have dropped the +2 to dex ,
I’m worried this will make them weaker than the other races and over all harder to play as.I’m hoping this was a mistake and was just like that in the demo build

There were a few races they did that with- I think it's probably an oversight. A lot of the time it was with races that in the PHB were subtypes- like for Dwarves, it didn't show the ASI they get to CON for being Dwarves, but did show the one they got to WIS for being Hill Dwarves.

Last edited by BeNexus; 16/03/20 10:02 AM. Reason: added "to WIS" in regards to ASI for Hill Dwarves
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by BeNexus

There were a few races they did that with- I think it's probably an oversight. A lot of the time it was with races that in the PHB were subtypes- like for Dwarves, it didn't show the ASI they get to CON for being Dwarves, but did show the one they got to WIS for being Hill Dwarves.

fingers crossed it was just an oversight for that particular build of the game and will be fixed for early access

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by BeNexus

fingers crossed it was just an oversight for that particular build of the game and will be fixed for early access

Yeah, I looked through again, and it also didn't show the CHA bonus to Half Drow or the DEX bonus to Halflings, so it's probably just the fact it's still being worked on. I can't imagine they'd remove half of the races' dominant ASI in final release.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard