Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TadasGa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I watched the gameplay demo and I just don't understand how is this successor to bg series. It just doesn't have the same "gamefeel" as the other 2, it is so much closer to dos than to bg. I liked dos, I liked dos 2, I am sure it will be competently made game, but how is it bg3?

I don't know, pillars of eternity, pathfinder kingmaker felt a lot closer to bg than this. It feels like a very different subgenre. Not only combat is turn based only, but also aesthetically it is just not "it". Probably reused assets didn't help. I felt like I was in fort Joy, not in sword coast.

I am ok with different ruleset, I am more than ok with a new story, I am ok with their engine, but what I don't understand why is it called bg3 when everything except for setting is different from previous series. For me it really fails to capture spirit of bg, it feels like dos game in bg universe. I am dissapointed.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
It has cameos from BG1&2, it continues the story in some form (Bhaal is probably involved) and it's set in Baldur's Gate. It also aims to set the new bar for cRPGs, or at least D&D adaptation like the original series did.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well the reason why it's called BG3 is because it flows from what happened after BG games and other stuff that happened after BG2

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
addict
addict
Originally Posted by TadasGa
I watched the gameplay demo and I just don't understand how is this successor to bg series. It just doesn't have the same "gamefeel" as the other 2, it is so much closer to dos than to bg. I liked dos, I liked dos 2, I am sure it will be competently made game, but how is it bg3?

I don't know, pillars of eternity, pathfinder kingmaker felt a lot closer to bg than this. It feels like a very different subgenre. Not only combat is turn based only, but also aesthetically it is just not "it". Probably reused assets didn't help. I felt like I was in fort Joy, not in sword coast.

I am ok with different ruleset, I am more than ok with a new story, I am ok with their engine, but what I don't understand why is it called bg3 when everything except for setting is different from previous series. For me it really fails to capture spirit of bg, it feels like dos game in bg universe. I am dissapointed.

Please read everything here. There has been lengthy discussion on the matter.

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=659630#Post659630

Last edited by Emrikol; 15/03/20 03:45 PM.
TadasGa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I see that I am late to the party. Same points have been raised before. I think I am disappointed because setting is very low on priority list for me. A book, a movie and a game can have same setting even follow same plot points, but are completely different experience for me. On the other hand fallout and outer worlds have completely different settings, but have simmilar "gamefeel". I guess for me gameplay > setting.

addict
addict
I see that I am late to the party. Same points have been raised before. I think I am disappointed because setting is very low on priority list for me. A book, a movie and a game can have same setting even follow same plot points, but are completely different experience for me. On the other hand fallout and outer worlds have completely different settings, but have simmilar "gamefeel". I guess for me gameplay > setting.

Just to clarify .. I don't wish to begrudge you the opportunity to voice your concerns, but was just pointing it out so you could see how others have expressed similar concerns and the responses they were given.

journeyman
journeyman
What is there to get? It's a sequel made by a new developer.

I personally think of the IE games as modules in the same rule set, that being the IE engine as well as 2nd Ed. D&d. There's no reason why there could not be a continuation of those old modules with new rules, E. G. A new engine as well as new d&d edition. The only thing that seems to be bothering people is the number at the end, signifying a direct sequel instead of a spin off. If that is the case, maybe you should take a long look into the mirror and ask yourself, do I really want to be this pedantic?

TadasGa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I disagree that it's just being pedantic. Calling it BG3 does imply some expectations of gameplay. If final fantasy tactics was called final fantasy 8 it would have left a lot of people disappointed and frankly mislead. If a studio made Half life 3, but it played like call of duty or borderlands (even set in half life universe), it would not be what people wants or expects, even if the game in isolation is fine.

TadasGa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well anyway, I made my peace. I expected BG3 and what I am geting is BG tactics. It's ok. I like that variation as well, just not what I was hyped to see.

veteran
veteran
For anyone familiar with Larian's sensibilities and preferances it doesn't come as surprise.

They seem to look at Baldur's Gate from a very different perspective - they think if it as: "computer adaptation of a table-top game", rather then "single-player focused, narratively focused adventure with RtwP combat". They look at the origin, rather then the final result.

Their approach is valid - in many ways their design, does emulate a table-top experience to a higher level - even if I would say that they are missing the point - Baldur's Gate strength was what it turned Table-Top inspiration into.

As to earning the right to being BG3, and not "Larian DnD game set also in Baldur's Gate". Swen comment that it will tie into events which took place in previous titles, and already there are some thematic similarities between the new and the old. But yes, in many ways, including genre, it is a completely different game.

stranger
stranger
I agree that Pillars of Eternity definitely nailed the feeling of Baldur's Gate adventuring, however in the same art-style let's not forget Siege of Dragonspear. It could have been a breathtaking return to the realm we all know and love, but it.. wasn't. It was interesting to play through I guess, but I want epic tales, surprises, complex voiceacting, immersive music and meaningful choices regardless of the graphics engine. And I think Larian have done an excellent job taking WotC's (and Mike Mearls') demanding requirements for a next-gen D&D game, and are producing something brilliant. My Baldur's Gate 2 map will forever hang in the centre of the gaming wall, but let's get a 2020 Baldur's Gate game please, and not judge an epic endeavour by passionate creators to the masterpieces of the past.

I hope you gather some hype for the BG3 we're getting friend! I totally feel where you're coming from, I almost cried when I saw the engine and imagined DoS3 instead of BG3, but the more I research Swen and the team, the more hope I have.

S
veteran
veteran
S
because the sword coast absoluteley doesnt have forests and dungeons.
god damn it yes, some studios have a visual style.
Pillars of eternity for example perfectly illustrates that the people at obsdian have no creative bone in their body, because, lets face it, all they do is deconstruct other peoples stuff.

I dont understand why its ok for other companies to have an artstyle but when larian does it its verboten.
tbh. i wish larian would bring back their old style, by which i mean lots of tits

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Divine Divinity : RTwP ---> DOS : Turn based
Fallout ( 1 and 2 ) : turn based ---> Fallout ( 3 and 4 ) : Action RPG with "Shooting" mechanics
Final Fantasy : Old opus : turn based OR Zelda-like ---> New opus : Action-RPG

And i can go on...

There's absolutly not the first time that a saga change the gameplay mechanics ... but before people wasn't so quickly outraged / scandalized.

It's "BG" because of the setting of the story, the "rights" to do it that WotC give them, it's an RPG ( and with larian probably a good one, even if i accept than some peoples dont like DOS games, it would be dishonest to deny that these games , was globally well receiveid ---> The formula works and many people like it, even if it's not "the purist old fans of BG 1 & 2" ).

It's not a direct sequel and so?
DOS 2 is not a sequel to DOS 1 because it take place 1000+ years after? Fallout 3 and 4 are not sequel because it take place many years after too? Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition dont even take place in the same country than the first opus...
If the Bhaalspawn story is ended, good, because a good story must come to an end, before getting boring or incoherent. A rich setting like BG / Sword coast / Forgotten Realms can bring to life many others stories than the ones tied to the Bhaalspawn, it would be a pity to limit the storytelling to these themes. And, i dont work for larian, but i think we'll have some good lore addition / easter-eggs about the events , and the time-lap after, of old games, for making the connection.

the more the time pass, the more i've the impression that some just want to find any details to be grouchy about the game.

I guess change is scary..

Last edited by The Storyteller; 15/03/20 10:51 PM.
I think we can give some rest to this topic, till we see alpha or beta version. I am 100% sure they got the message already and
at this point it will just effect the development negatively if people continue DAO2 vs BG3 topic.

I had concerns at beginning, but I think they will make a good game. They also listened, to the community, and mentioned many of the stuff,
they plan or already planned to change in the current game accordingly.

Constructive ideas are good to have and worth to mentions, but just saying that it is not BG, changes nothing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Agreed luckily it does same to be dying off the hole BG3 is not a true BG game thing which I never got to begin with it does same a bit pointless to say that when we have only seen a bit of BG3

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
journeyman
journeyman
I disagree that it's just being pedantic. Calling it BG3 does imply some expectations of gameplay. If final fantasy tactics was called final fantasy 8 it would have left a lot of people disappointed and frankly mislead. If a studio made Half life 3, but it played like call of duty or borderlands (even set in half life universe), it would not be what people wants or expects, even if the game in isolation is fine.

Newer final fantasy games have made drastic changes to the formula as far as game mechanics go. Same goes for resident evil games and actually many other Japanese games.

Suspend your disbelief long enough and you'll see the changes. Not everything remains the same in the pre-alpha version.

Last edited by BladeDancer; 16/03/20 06:11 AM.
TadasGa Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus

Newer final fantasy games have made drastic changes to the formula as far as game mechanics go. Same goes for resident evil games and actually many other Japanese games.

I apologize, I am not game or art critic, I don't even have the right vocabulary to express myself, so I am reduced to vague concepts like "feeling" or "vibes".

I meant that half life, borderlands, gears of war have their own unique identity just as BG and DOS. I am ok with continuation or drastic changes if the new game is doing it's own thing. FFVII had a huge gameplay, graphics etc changes when it continued it's series from SNES to PS. And yet it was distinctly FF game. FFXV is almost unrecognizable in it's game mechanics or graphics from older titles, but it feels distinctly final fantasy game. And the feeling I get watching BG3 footage is that is distintcly DOS game. It's not close enough to BG to be bg game and not far enough from DOS to have it's own distinct identity. As someone said already - if you were watching the footage and you didn't know what game was playing, what would your guess be? For me it has very strong DOS vibes.

veteran
veteran
Don't try... Many of us tried to understand for the last 3 weeks as you are now but...
You won't be understood here even if lots of players has the same feelings as you.

You're feelings ? It's because of pre-alpha, it's because of placeholder, it's because of D&D, it's because of...
Don't worry, this game is named BG3 because it will have a (probably far) link with the story, and because Larian/WoTC decided to name it BG3.
Not enough for you ? You're probably an old guy that don't want things to change (even if that's totally not what you said).
And don't try with exemples, Divinity is not the same as Divinity : Original Sin, so why BG3 should be the same experience as BG2 ?

Yea, all this looks stupid,... I know.
I still totally agree, it don't relaly looks like a BG game...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 16/03/20 10:32 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
I can see this is more about your feelings than common sense. Otherwise you guys would have probably given up with the complaining already, hah

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard