Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tyr2000 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
One of my favorite things about the BG series is the lore. I loved the verbose histories and descriptions on the item pages. I think regular +1 weapongs and "Sword of whatever" descriptions are boring. Remember finding Celestial Fury or Dawnstar? It makes being a melee character much more rewarding when you find equipment with a history several paragraphs long with cool artwork on it. Also bring BlackRazor back, he is hungry.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Agreed I like to take my time reading items lore

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
enthusiast
enthusiast
Same. I understand a longsword being JUST a longsword.

But GnollBane, The Blade That Killed 1000 Gnoll should have a unique description.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i like lore, i dont like WORDS WORDS WORDS

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Same. I understand a longsword being JUST a longsword.

But GnollBane, The Blade That Killed 1000 Gnoll should have a unique description.

All fine ‘til you meet Chieftain Sturdy “the One in a Thousand”...

Tyr2000 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I think another good option would to be have some of the text be locked behind a lore check. Have Identify give you a basic history and then have to pay a bard or someone to unlock the rest of the item's history. It would give more utility to bards and characters that invest in a lore skill and people that don't care could just ignore it. Maybe even have it's selling price go up after fully identifying its history.

Actually I'm not sure how identifying and lore works in 5th edition. I think I'll go check that out.

veteran
veteran
That very much ties into how Larian will do items in BG3. For such specific thing to be possible they would need to create hand-crafter items, rather then generic stuff from Divinities.

I also really liked it in IE games, and found Soulbound weapons in PoEs and overall design of weapons in Deadfire to be superb - gameplay and lorewise.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
That very much ties into how Larian will do items in BG3. For such specific thing to be possible they would need to create hand-crafter items, rather then generic stuff from Divinities. .

Well, that's something they have already confirmed they are doing, so at least the intention is there. We'll see if they are any good with the execution.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
I like that too with a rich history and i think they can bring the forgotten realm Lore into Buldurs gate! But not only a story it needs physical history where it was forge like in Lords of the Ring! Create fear and terror and a very fluid landscape where things are changing and suspense is building!

I would like to see that in the game where an item is more then pretty visual or empty stories but connected to the world not just level 10 wand with all these buff lying around. Someone could be wanting it back and NPC already are doing investigations maybe they are spies that can track down these items if you stole them or took them and send wrath after you to get it back!

This makes items more meaningful in the world and more suspense when the lead enemy is after you to take it back!!

One Ring to rule them all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMSLM33PQDM

Tyr2000 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah, this exactly the stuff I like too. I have always like the trope of the ancient magic weapon, like Arthur's Excalibur, Sigurd's Gram, Beowulf's Hrunting etc.

Games like these are all heavily influenced by historical mythology for the most part and these magic items were a big part of that. Treating a few pieces of equipment as npcs almost (Even if they aren't intelligent and don't talk) adds a lot to the game for me.

An example I was really disappointed with was Anathema from DoS2. I felt that there was a missed opportunity to do so much more with it.

addict
addict
Agree. Certainly if they are doing hand-crafted loot, it would be a missed opportunity to not tie some items into sub-plots and side-quests.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard