Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Sordak
Id like to point out that theres evidence of another RPG focused Forum creating sock puppet accounts to dogpile Baldurs Gate 3 related discussions.

Yeah, I know the one, they've been doing the same for years. It's the sort of place that I'm in no hurry to visit...

You would think people would have better things to do than making sock puppet accounts just to troll people

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
S
veteran
veteran
S
its not to troll people, its a deliberate campaign, this sorta stuff has worked before.

Essentialy you astroturf an opinion that is not backed up by the actual numbers.
To give an example in the BG3 sphere: the TB vs RTWP discussion always is dominated by people arguing n favor of RTWP, meanwhile even on 4chans /v/, a forum known for its contrarianism and its idolization of old video games and extreme intolerance of anyhting new, Turn Based wins the polls by a large margin.

The idea here is to give the impression of a majority opinion that doenst exist.
The goal is to change the developers course by implying that they alienate their fanbase.

This has been done quite ofthen. Another tactic is to write letters to sponsors or publishers.

so no, this isnt an effort to "troll" anyone.
its an effort to interfere with the development of a video game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I thought forum is a place to share ones thoughts on the subject? Like impression of BG3 and likes/dislikes based on what one seen, backed with knowledge of Larian's previous works?

Sadly that's not the case for a lot of the people on the pro side in this forum. Usually the argument from them is some variant of "you can't judge the game/how dare you judge the game" or moving the goalposts (you must wait until gameplay is revealed/early access/game is released/10 years have gone by since game was released).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I thought forum is a place to share ones thoughts on the subject? Like impression of BG3 and likes/dislikes based on what one seen, backed with knowledge of Larian's previous works?

Sadly that's not the case for a lot of the people on the pro side in this forum. Usually the argument from them is some variant of "you can't judge the game/how dare you judge the game" or moving the goalposts (you must wait until gameplay is revealed/early access/game is released/10 years have gone by since game was released).

Except no goalposts have been moved. It's perfectly reasonable to wait until the devs SELL YOU THE PRODUCT to judge it.
When they sell something, they are saying 'We are confident you will enjoy this.'

Judging before that is, as I have said before, like stating the eggs, flour & milk the chef pulled out looks nothing like the finished wedding cake; you're complaining before the product is even ready to be consumed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I disagree. The time to judge the product is before they sell it to me. In most cases, there is no refund if I buy the game to judge it and don't like it. I will judge it before I spend my hard-earned money. That means with what I see. Or a Free demo if any.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I disagree. The time to judge the product is before they sell it to me. In most cases, there is no refund if I buy the game to judge it and don't like it. I will judge it before I spend my hard-earned money. That means with what I see. Or a Free demo if any.

Or you watch videos of other people playing it. It's possible to judge a finished product without spending money, and it's unreasonable to say 'Your unfinished product does not stand up to what I expect a finished BG3 game to be'

Agreed. If no criticisms or feedback is put forth now before the game enters into later development stages, then nothing will change.

That being said, there's a line to draw too on what's reasonable and unreasonable. Party sizes before balancing is finished? Why not. Changing whole core systems and expecting huge balancing changes between two modes, etc.? Not so much.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Eguzky

Or you watch videos of other people playing it. It's possible to judge a finished product without spending money, and it's unreasonable to say 'Your unfinished product does not stand up to what I expect a finished BG3 game to be'

But are you not judging the product before it is finished by saying you like it? You may not like it when it is finished. So your reasoning is flawed.

enthusiast
enthusiast

But are you not judging the product before it is finished by saying you like it? You may not like it when it is finished. So your reasoning is flawed.

I'm saying it's going in a direction I like. I'm well aware it may end up being a game I don't like, but that does not seem likely.

The difference is that most the people hating it are claiming things that can, by all rights, change before release. Like the UI or assets being 'too much like DOS2' without knowing placeholder assets are a thing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
its not to troll people, its a deliberate campaign, this sorta stuff has worked before.

Essentialy you astroturf an opinion that is not backed up by the actual numbers.
To give an example in the BG3 sphere: the TB vs RTWP discussion always is dominated by people arguing n favor of RTWP, meanwhile even on 4chans /v/, a forum known for its contrarianism and its idolization of old video games and extreme intolerance of anyhting new, Turn Based wins the polls by a large margin.

The idea here is to give the impression of a majority opinion that doenst exist.
The goal is to change the developers course by implying that they alienate their fanbase.

This has been done quite ofthen. Another tactic is to write letters to sponsors or publishers.

so no, this isnt an effort to "troll" anyone.
its an effort to interfere with the development of a video game.

Wow that sad that people are doing that there would be better off just moving onto something there like instead of trying to change it I mean if I wanted the old style of BG I would just make my own DND video game problem solved

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
enthusiast
enthusiast
And they are saying that it's going in a direction they don't like. You just don't like what they are saying is all.

addict
addict
And they are saying that it's going in a direction they don't like.

I would distinguish between things that are "going in a [certain] direction" and things that have already arrived. Some examples of the latter are TB combat, 3D movable camera, and textures. Some examples of the former kind would be party size, level range, sound effects, and UI. Basically, things that could change vs things that very likely (if not definitely) won't.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Yeah, they are entitled to their opinion.
They can voice their opinion just like anyone else.

But once you start astroturfing that opinion and trying to trick developers into thinking its a much more popular opinion than it actually is, thats when you cross into the "not ok" territory.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, they are entitled to their opinion.
They can voice their opinion just like anyone else.

But once you start astroturfing that opinion and trying to trick developers into thinking its a much more popular opinion than it actually is, thats when you cross into the "not ok" territory.

Agreed

apprentice
apprentice

Except no goalposts have been moved. It's perfectly reasonable to wait until the devs SELL YOU THE PRODUCT to judge it.
When they sell something, they are saying 'We are confident you will enjoy this.'

Judging before that is, as I have said before, like stating the eggs, flour & milk the chef pulled out looks nothing like the finished wedding cake; you're complaining before the product is even ready to be consumed.

This makes no sense at all I’m afraid. They’re showing it off this early precisely to get feedback. They’re even going the early access route - a team of 250 people - for this very reason. It seems to be exceedingly important to them what people think of the game at this stage. For that very reason it makes no sense to defend the game from people’s opinions. They want opinions.

Last edited by Exclusif; 17/03/20 05:37 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Exclusif

This makes no sense at all I’m afraid. They’re showing it off this early precisely to get feedback. They’re even going the early access route - a team of 250 people - for this very reason. It seems to be exceedingly important to them what people think of the game at this stage. For that very reason it makes no sense to defend the game from people’s opinions. They want opinions.

Except many people are not giving opinions or feedback.
They're going HashTag-NotMyBG3 and making DEMANDS like 'Change The Name' or 'Remove the 3'.

That's not feedback; it's an overreaction that in no way helps the devs polish their game. You can say 'this sucks' but it's not constructive, and being angry it's not the game you (using a royal you; not YOU in specific) want is not useful feedback.

Saying 'the animations look stilted/silly' is feedback. Saying 'The spells don't look like they have oomph' is feedback. or 'The voice acting sounds a little flat' is feedback.

'Why is this BG3?' is not feedback. It's a complaint made by someone who's not going to enjoy the game unless the devs completely overhaul the entire thing.

To put it another way; I could go onto Modern Warfare's forums and complain that it's not a real FPS. But it's not feedback. It won't help the devs make the next one.

Last edited by Eguzky; 17/03/20 05:45 PM.
addict
addict
They're going HashTag-NotMyBG3 and making DEMANDS like 'Change The Name' or 'Remove the 3'.

That's not feedback; it's an overreaction that in no way helps the devs polish their game. You can say 'this sucks' but it's not constructive, and being angry it's not the game you (using a royal you; not YOU in specific) want is not useful feedback.

Saying 'the animations look stilted/silly' is feedback. Saying 'The spells don't look like they have oomph' is feedback. or 'The voice acting sounds a little flat' is feedback.

'Why is this BG3?' is not feedback. It's a complaint made by someone who's not going to enjoy the game unless the devs completely overhaul the entire thing.

To put it another way; I could go onto Modern Warfare's forums and complain that it's not a real FPS. But it's not feedback. It won't help the devs make the next one.

Agreed

apprentice
apprentice

Of course its better to give specific feedback, but saying that someone is overreacting isn’t meaningful. They may dislike what they’ve seen to the point where minor precise feedback wouldn’t cut it, and so instead they show disappointment knowing that they’re not getting the game they dreamed off. There’s no point in trying to defend the game from that. It won’t lead anywhere. Just let them vent their frustration; it seems people have valid reasons for it, and it’ll pass eventually.

addict
addict
I think the Larian devs will be intelligent enough to tell apart thoughtful or constructive comment from grumpy rants.

They can't please everyone in every way, but most feedback will likely be useful in at least highlighting where there may be aspects to consider. I don't expect any major changes, but where there are quality of life suggestions that are easy to implement, there is always a possibility they will adopt them. It is in their interest to have as many people as possible want to buy and play the game, after all.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by etonbears
I think the Larian devs will be intelligent enough to tell apart thoughtful or constructive comment from grumpy rants.

They can't please everyone in every way, but most feedback will likely be useful in at least highlighting where there may be aspects to consider. I don't expect any major changes, but where there are quality of life suggestions that are easy to implement, there is always a possibility they will adopt them. It is in their interest to have as many people as possible want to buy and play the game, after all.

Yes but it's easier for devs to find constructive critisim if they don't have to sort through multiple posts about how 'BG3 is a betrayal of every REAL fan', or how 'this is not BG3', or how it's 'false advertising', or 'a blatent use of BG IP to sell DOS3'.

And everything I threw in quotes? All things people have said. I did not make up a single one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard