Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#664696 22/03/20 03:09 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay so as far as I can tell, the Camp where you take long rests appears to be your "stronghold" as it were, were you can talk to Companions and Followers, even ones not in your party.

I know that eventually your camp will gain vendors some how.

I'm really curious what else it will offer.

Does anyone else know anything else about it?

What do you think it will offer and have?

How will it work in cities?

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 22/03/20 03:09 AM.
Omegaphallic #664734 22/03/20 03:04 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It occurs to me that the camp is where you can spend your down time days.

Omegaphallic #664735 22/03/20 03:06 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
There won't be any downtime days if we are rushing to get the tadpole out of our heads.

Omegaphallic #664737 22/03/20 03:10 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsguide.com/amp/news/baldurs-gate-iii-demo

The link provides some more info on our Camp.

"You'll interact with your party members much more frequently than in the first two Baldur's Gate. Whenever you set up camp for the night, you'll have an opportunity to interact with them, and they'll very often have new things to say, depending on the quests you've completed. In fact, party members often presented dialogue opportunities simply to weigh in on quests that were currently in progress."

"You'll also be able to recruit "camp followers," who give you benefits at your nightly campsite, but don't participate in combat. D&D aficionados will be pleased to know that one potential camp follower is Volo: the gregarious adventurer who chronicles all notable goings-on in the Forgotten Realms."

Nobody_Special #664738 22/03/20 03:11 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
There won't be any downtime days if we are rushing to get the tadpole out of our heads.

Something is different about the tadpoles in the PC's heads because you'd be doomed after about the end of the first day otherwise. This is part of the plot, and it'll be noted by the characters that they should be feeling much worse than they are.

Nobody_Special #664739 22/03/20 03:11 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

I have a feeling that the rush won't last, that the Tadpole is there to stay, but if your careful it won't turn you into a Mindflayer.

Omegaphallic #664742 22/03/20 04:01 PM
veteran
veteran
Volo as a camp follower hahaha

How to reduce an iconic character to nothing...
Why not Elminster and Drizzt ? This is ridiculous.

I guess this is what Larian call "fan service" ..

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/03/20 04:06 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Omegaphallic #664745 22/03/20 04:43 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
They should have Swen Vincke as a traveling merchant that visits the camp.

Maximuuus #664746 22/03/20 04:48 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Well, you could wait to see what role Volo plays before passing judgement...

Elminster, Drizzt and Volo have all appeared as cameos in BG, as you no doubt know, but Volo has also already appeared as a major support figure akin to a camp follower in NWN2 SoZ.

I enjoyed SoZ myself, and found Volo's role no more nor less ridiculous than many of the characters from BG1/2.

Omegaphallic #664747 22/03/20 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

I have a feeling that the rush won't last, that the Tadpole is there to stay, but if your careful it won't turn you into a Mindflayer.

Didn't the Cleric make some comment on it not infecting like it'd normally do so? I'm curious what this means for the overall plot and whether the Mindflayer did so intentionally with an ulterior motive. Perhaps this game will have us believing they're the baddies and everything only for the true antagonist to be revealed at the end to set up for a sequel.

Blade238 #664748 22/03/20 05:10 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blade238
Didn't the Cleric make some comment on it not infecting like it'd normally do so?

I can't be bothered to find the exact quote, but Swen did say that they created a special tadpole for the purpose of the game. One of the things mentioned was time limit, but the tadpole also grants host powers (enhanced physical abilities, mindmeld between different hosts). Accepting/rejecting powers coming from the tadpole is to be one of the central themes (a bit like accepting/rejecting heritage of Bhaal), and as it is to be somewhat tied to the original, I think it is safe to assume that there is more to it, then just fighting against invaders.

Omegaphallic #664749 22/03/20 05:14 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by OP
...so what's the camp like, then?...

I suppose I've just idly assumed it'll be the same as the camp in Oranges. I have no idea whether or not it'll be even remotely similar.

J'aime le fromage.
etonbears #664754 22/03/20 06:09 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears

Well, you could wait to see what role Volo plays before passing judgement...

Elminster, Drizzt and Volo have all appeared as cameos in BG, as you no doubt know, but Volo has also already appeared as a major support figure akin to a camp follower in NWN2 SoZ.

I enjoyed SoZ myself, and found Volo's role no more nor less ridiculous than many of the characters from BG1/2.

I don't really remember him as a (potentially) "camp follower", which means according to me not important "background" character but minor camp gameplay character... But I admit I don't remember a lot of NWN2.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/03/20 08:07 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Omegaphallic #664800 23/03/20 08:21 AM
S
veteran
veteran
S
Volo appeared in nwn2 as a joke NPC, idk.
FR characters arent sacred, most of them are cringe, especialy drizzt

Omegaphallic #664802 23/03/20 09:57 AM
veteran
veteran
Not saying you can't meet them of course, they can help you, give you quests, appear in the main story, travel a little with you during a specific part of the story timeline etc......
This could be very interresting and good reference to the FR.

But seriously, reduce them as a "camp follower" such for exemple :
- your bags holder (mules),
- merchants following you everywhere (just for convenience because this is another immersion breaking element)
- "doctor" that's going to heal or "un-cursed" you ?
- craftsman that's going to craft your arrow or repair your weapons
- Monster hunter that gives you side hunting quests

Baldur's Gate 1&2 looks like they are a part of the story / side story in the FR and BG3 should definitely look like that too.
Pick elements or names and put them in wtf situations just to show it's connected with The Forgotten Realms would just sucks.

Maybe I'm wrong about what they call "potential camp follower" but this is really what it looks like to me in such a RPG.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/03/20 10:42 AM.

Omegaphallic #664806 23/03/20 10:48 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Why not have Biff the Undestudy?

Honestly, I think he was one of the best ideas in game development. A way to enable you to kill ANY NPC, without breaking quest, taking a piss on the player, while at the same time breaking the 4th wall (and not)

Maximuuus #664816 23/03/20 01:37 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Not saying you can't meet them of course, they can help you, give you quests, appear in the main story, travel a little with you during a specific part of the story timeline etc......

- merchants following you everywhere (just for convenience because this is another immersion breaking element)
-... att

Baldur's Gate 1&2 looks like they are a part of the story / side story in the FR and BG3 should definitely look like that too.
Pick elements or names and put them in wtf situations just to show it's connected with The Forgotten Realms would just sucks.

Maybe I'm wrong about what they call "potential camp follower" but this is really what it looks like to me in such a RPG.

Well we dont know his role yet I guess? I’m all for being sceptical but let’s react to what’s known or been shown at least. I am genuinely concerned about the writing of characters though, given DOS’s characters are so poorly written compared to those in BG. Who knows though, they might step it up.

Maximuuus #664850 24/03/20 02:45 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Clearly there is more to this the camp then just ease of access, I think its tied to the larger plot. For example we know that there are alot of refugees, like cast out Tieflings and others that you met on the road to Baldur's Gate. So perhaps refugees, mercanaries, victims of the mindflayers and others are turning to you and your companions for answers and protection, that is why you have this camp, which seems to evovle into a mobile town/stronghold.

So maybe the merchants are refugees you rescued so they join your camp because they feel safer. And your companions join you because of the shared interest in the tadpole. And you run into Mercs that join you because you pay them and they need the work. And others see this growing entourage following you for security and opportunities and even hope, and they get attracted to your camp as well.

And Volo sees something special going on around you, that you and your companions are at the center of important events, and as a writer, he wants to know what's going on, he wants the story and he might also have jobs for you maybe that will help him with things he wants to know.

Who knows maybe Volo will be a romance option!

Omegaphallic #664895 24/03/20 05:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
that is why you have this camp, which seems to evovle into a mobile town/stronghold.

!

It could be cool... or no depending the story and if we'll be one more time the hero of the world or not...
This is only about imagination...

What have you read/saw to think it's going to be something like that ?
I didn't see any clue...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/03/20 05:21 PM.

Omegaphallic #664925 24/03/20 11:32 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Its about putting all the pieces from different sources together and then extrapolating from the data.

We know:

1. We will be traveling along the river towards Baldur's Gate for over 200 miles.
2. We know that we will run into Refugees, including Tieflings blamed for a city disappearing into Hell, and others along the way to BG. Refugees played a role in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus too.
3. We know we have a special camp, where we can long rest and do other activies.
4. We know we can recruit camp followers who can do stuff like be Vendors.
5. We know that Mercanies and Companions can be found at your camp site, even when they aren't in you party
6. We know parts of the story play out in the camp
7. We know we can recruit Volo as a Camp follower
8. We know others have been infected by the same sorr of mutant tadpole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard