Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
MasterServo #664687 22/03/20 02:36 AM
old hand
old hand
I think he WAS a Vampire Spawn, but with a Tadpole in his head, he is something else now, part Undead Vampire Spawn, part living creature, and that mutates both his abilities, but also his vulneriblities, such as the fact that he can now day walk.

MasterServo #664703 22/03/20 03:30 AM
I want them to cap it at 7 and have 3 dlcs that raise it. From reading a lot of these comments I really dont think people have every played dnd or bg. while mages were very weak in 2nd edition in the begining but even starting at lvl 3 they started to get some punch then by 18 good loord watch the hll out. 5th mages can be very useful from the get go especialy with how spell memorization works.

wpmaura #664733 22/03/20 03:01 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by wpmaura
I want them to cap it at 7 and have 3 dlcs that raise it. From reading a lot of these comments I really dont think people have every played dnd or bg. while mages were very weak in 2nd edition in the begining but even starting at lvl 3 they started to get some punch then by 18 good loord watch the hll out. 5th mages can be very useful from the get go especialy with how spell memorization works.

5e isn't 2e, cantrips are at will in 5e, so a Mages doesn't have to rely on a sling or crossbow. And some spells can be cast as rituals, which doesn't take up a slot.

So a level 1 Wizard could have Minor Illusion, Fire Bolt, and Friends cantrips that he can cast at will, and Find Familiar (ritual), Charm Person, and Unseen Servant (ritual) aa 1st level spells for example, two of which can be cast as ritual which increases casting time, but doesn't burn a spell slot.

If Human this wizard can also take the Ritual Caster (Cleric) Feat, to get a Ritual Book with 2 first level Cleric Rituals in it (with scrolls he can add all the Cleric rituals to the book eventually).

And spellcasters get fewer spell slots.

Omegaphallic #664743 22/03/20 04:02 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Originally Posted by wpmaura

5e isn't 2e, cantrips are at will in 5e, so a Mages doesn't have to rely on a sling or crossbow. And some spells can be cast as rituals, which doesn't take up a slot.

So a level 1 Wizard could have Minor Illusion, Fire Bolt, and Friends cantrips that he can cast at will, and Find Familiar (ritual), Charm Person, and Unseen Servant (ritual) aa 1st level spells for example, two of which can be cast as ritual which increases casting time, but doesn't burn a spell slot.

If Human this wizard can also take the Ritual Caster (Cleric) Feat, to get a Ritual Book with 2 first level Cleric Rituals in it (with scrolls he can add all the Cleric rituals to the book eventually).

And spellcasters get fewer spell slots.

I haven't really looked at 5e spell casting yet, and it does sound quite interesting.

But what you say didn't quite mesh with Swen's video. At one point he used fire bolt on a water surface to show off environmental interaction, and a few moments later could not set a grease spell alight because he had used his fire bolt.That suggests at least a need for a short rest between using cantrips, I would think. I think Larian have also said that rituals are not in the game at this point, but I'm not sure about that.

MasterServo #664751 22/03/20 05:33 PM
veteran
veteran
If you meant the gameplay fight against the bandits outside the ruins, you cannot cast more than one spell that uses up a standard action in the same round (in normal conditions, you can cast a bonus action spell, like healing word or shield of faith, and a cantrip, for example) so I think the mage just used up his action casting grease so he cannot cast another spell until later. As far as I know cantrips have unlimited uses, and the MC casted mage´s hand several times.

PD: The confirmation that ritual magic are not available in bG3 was a big hit, indeed. =(

Last edited by _Vic_; 22/03/20 05:36 PM.
MasterServo #664752 22/03/20 05:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Larian-Swen from the AMA
Is there any hope that we could see ritual casting, feats and multiclassing in BG3, as in D&D 5e?

Feats and multiclassing: yes. Ritual casting not for EA, but we have plans.

MasterServo #664753 22/03/20 06:01 PM
veteran
veteran
I have read the players handbook:

- A char can cast only 1 spell per round (exception: quicken spell meta magic, some spells can be used as reaction)
- Cantrips have unlimited uses, some of them get stronger as you level up.
- All other spells cost spell slots. You can cast many spells with a spell slot of their base level or with the spell slot of a higher level to increase the effect, like buffs work on more allies or spells cause more damage or healing.
- Spell slots of different classes are added. So a cleric5/sorcerer5 can cast as many spells per day as a single class lv10 cleric or sorcerer, he knows just half as many different sorc spells as a pure sorc and half as many cleric spells as a pure cleric.
Some classes with spells add only 1/2 of their levels to spell slots, like paladins.
- Many spells with a duration require concentration. You can only concentrate on 1 spell at a time. This was done to avoid endless pre buffing. So one char could not cast haste and bless for the party at the same time. Concentration can break if you take damage (constitution saving throw)

result:
- Many low level spells remain useful over the whole game.
- Many low level spells have been buffed. e.g. bless gives a bonus of 1d4 for all rolls, not just 1
- You have to think carefully which buffs you learn as you cannot use all at once. Though you mage will probably remain a haste bot.

question:
The handbook says that your attacks and movement does not break your concentration.
Can you cast a spell that does not require concentration while concentrating on another spell?
So could a mage throw fireballs while concentrating on hastening another party member?

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
MasterServo #664757 22/03/20 06:41 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Can mages still learn all spells from scrolls?

How does CC feel in dnd 5? In bg1-2 CC lasted ridiculously long time, if it landed, mob was effectively dead, is it still the same?

Last edited by TadasGa; 22/03/20 06:44 PM.
MasterServo #664760 22/03/20 06:59 PM
veteran
veteran
I am not an expert for DnD 5E, but I know that for many CC spells the target has to make a saving throw every round to escape the effect, so the better your DC the higher the chance that it lasts long.

In DnD 2E the spell did not depend on stats of the caster, which means the chances of success got worse over time as powerful enemies have better saving throws.
You only had to make repeated saves for environment effects like clouds or entangle.

Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
_Vic_ #664768 22/03/20 11:11 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by _Vic_
If you meant the gameplay fight against the bandits outside the ruins, you cannot cast more than one spell that uses up a standard action in the same round (in normal conditions, you can cast a bonus action spell, like healing word or shield of faith, and a cantrip, for example) so I think the mage just used up his action casting grease so he cannot cast another spell until later. As far as I know cantrips have unlimited uses, and the MC casted mage´s hand several times.

PD: The confirmation that ritual magic are not available in bG3 was a big hit, indeed. =(

It was that fight, but Swen seemed to use his fire bolt on a water surface while out of combat, around the time he also showed off feather fall, and then his talk track suggested he didn't have a fire bolt to set light to to his grease spell. Maybe I misunderstood and he just meant he had to wait a round, but did not get the chance as he was downed quite quickly smile

etonbears #664814 23/03/20 01:24 PM
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by _Vic_

It was that fight, but Swen seemed to use his fire bolt on a water surface while out of combat, around the time he also showed off feather fall, and then his talk track suggested he didn't have a fire bolt to set light to to his grease spell. Maybe I misunderstood and he just meant he had to wait a round, but did not get the chance as he was downed quite quickly smile

Yeah, he couldn't set Grease on fire because Gale had both spells for the combo and can only cast 1 per round. He did say "I already used my Firebolt" but it was still available until he burned the Grease spell.

Last edited by Xvim; 23/03/20 01:27 PM.
Madscientist #664820 23/03/20 03:50 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist

question:
The handbook says that your attacks and movement does not break your concentration.
Can you cast a spell that does not require concentration while concentrating on another spell?
So could a mage throw fireballs while concentrating on hastening another party member?

Yes, your only limitation is not to cast two concentration spells at once. Concentration kinda makes imperative that casters do not buff themselves, since one hit from a higher level enemy will cancel it.

Last edited by Danielbda; 23/03/20 03:57 PM.
Madscientist #664821 23/03/20 03:54 PM
addict
addict
I am not an expert for DnD 5E, but I know that for many CC spells the target has to make a saving throw every round to escape the effect, so the better your DC the higher the chance that it lasts long.

In DnD 2E the spell did not depend on stats of the caster, which means the chances of success got worse over time as powerful enemies have better saving throws.
You only had to make repeated saves for environment effects like clouds or entangle.

The same is true for 5e anyways. Yes, your proficiency bonus increases saving throw DC, however most high level monsters have ridiculous modifiers to saving throws, and most dragons have legendary resistance that makes them succeed at will. So CC spells only work against humanoids with stats capped at 20.

Last edited by Danielbda; 23/03/20 03:57 PM.
Danielbda #664822 23/03/20 03:59 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Danielbda

The same is true for 5e anyways. Yes, your proficiency bonus increases saving throw DC, however most high level monsters have ridiculous modifiers to saving throws, and most dragons have legendary resistance that makes them succeed at will. So CC spells only work against humanoids with stats capped at 20.

'It's almost like the world is imposing some arbitrary balance between those of us who can reshape reality with our will, and those who can't.' - Vesuvius, Sorcerer.

Danielbda #664825 23/03/20 04:08 PM
X
journeyman
journeyman
X

To clarify this, most dragons have 3 "auto-succeed instead of fail" saves per day (vs any failed save). They do not, however, have Magic Resistance as they did in 2e. Things that do have Magic Resistance (usually) only have advantage on the saves of your spells, not a chance to be immune to it.

Xvim #664826 23/03/20 04:14 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Xvim

To clarify this, most dragons have 3 "auto-succeed instead of fail" saves per day (vs any failed save). They do not, however, have Magic Resistance as they did in 2e. Things that do have Magic Resistance (usually) only have advantage on the saves of your spells, not a chance to be immune to it.

Most enemies with magic resistance are some sort of caster themselves, such as liches. Most high level enemies are however immune to nonmagical damage.

Danielbda #664827 23/03/20 04:17 PM
X
journeyman
journeyman
X

Most enemies with magic resistance are some sort of caster themselves, such as liches. Most high level enemies are however immune to nonmagical damage.

Many are resistant, but a few are immune. Even a Balor takes 1/2 damage from non-magical weapons.

Xvim #664828 23/03/20 04:20 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Xvim

Many are resistant, but a few are immune. Even a Balor takes 1/2 damage from non-magical weapons.

You'r right, is resistance in most cases.

MasterServo #664832 23/03/20 06:51 PM
veteran
veteran
I think when your party wants to fight very powerful enemies that all of them have magic weapons.
Who would attack a demon when you are only equipped with regular swords?

Just to be sure: DnD 5E makes only a difference between magic and non magic, right?
DnD 3E had resistences like 5/cold iron, 10/magic and so on.
In BG you need a macig weapon+1 for many enemies, some require+2, +3 is enough for almost everything and +4 was needed for the most powerful ones. (Kangaxx, Demigorgon, . . .)

Madscientist #664835 23/03/20 07:03 PM
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
I think when your party wants to fight very powerful enemies that all of them have magic weapons.
Who would attack a demon when you are only equipped with regular swords?

Just to be sure: DnD 5E makes only a difference between magic and non magic, right?
DnD 3E had resistences like 5/cold iron, 10/magic and so on.
In BG you need a macig weapon+1 for many enemies, some require+2, +3 is enough for almost everything and +4 was needed for the most powerful ones. (Kangaxx, Demigorgon, . . .)

For the most part, but there are exceptions. For example, a werewolf is immune to nonmagic attacks unless they are made with a silver weapon.
In 5e, most things are 1/2 damage or immune to damage (the feat Heavy Armor Master is -3 damage while using heavy armor).

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard