Next Thread
Print Thread
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Greetings!

After 4 and a half years since the release of DOS 1 Enhanced Edition (October 2015) I've finally been able to work on a mod a lot of us wished for to exist:

Besides the game's very slow skill animations and the attack animations of rather moderate speed (both of Player characters and NPCs), the engine of DOS 1 Enhanced Edition blocks player input during the start and end animations of skills, taking away any control over the UI, over skills, inventory, player characters etc.; in consequence after every skill selection as well as after every skill cast several seconds have to pass to be 'back in game', causing a rather unsatisfying feel of discontinuous gameplay and being out of control.

Some solutions to at least partially speed up the game have been created by the modding community since the release of DOS 1 EE, namely movement speed mods (three mods of Kidling, Baardvaark and Spotegg, also movement speed mods as part of gameplay mods like Scales, XC_Bags or Epic Encounters) and my own SamaritanMod which outsources some unnecessarily time-consuming tasks out of combat to an AI (for DOS 1 EE [!] mods see the Nexus site for the Classic Version https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin/mods/ and the dedicated EE Nexus site https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsinenhancededition or have a look into TheWickedGamer's useful list: https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsinenhancededition/mods/9?tab=description).
Though due to the enormous amount of work (editing more than 1,000 animations + several of the game's database files, multiplied by the amount of speed versions one wants to create) and some technical hurdles in modifying the game's animations, a more complete solution never happened.

So I learned a bit of C-programming over the last 2 months and wrote a primitive but very useful program which edits both hundreds of .dae animation files - converted from GR2 with Norbyte's unvaluable converter tool (http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=664138&page=14) - and all related Content .lsx files - converted from lsb with Norbyte's tool - for me. This way I could mass-produce faster versions of attack, skill and spawn animations of Female and Male Player Characters as well as for (almost) all NPCs (all in all more than 4,500 animations) within a few days!

Editing the Content files was necessary for two reasons:

1. The visuals of the new animations wouldn't match the events triggered along with them (audio effects, hit events etc.). These time points of occurence are defined in the Content files.
2. The engine locks/unlocks player control in accordance to the 'Duration' value defined in the Content files, not to the actual animation duration. (Just changing the Duration values would not speed animations up, but cut them.)

Depending on the speed version (from moderately faster to really fast) the new animation speeds afford a notably more fluent and responsive gameplay feel, up to almost completely suspending the time delay between player input and skill effect or attack while not looking too hasty in almost all cases. With the highest speed version(s) shooting with bows, for example, or buffing characters feels completely immediate and fluent.

Enemy animations - since I combined the package with their attack animations to spare creating even more combined lsb files - are rather moderately sped up since speeding them up even more would have accelerated attack animations to a point of beeing too fast (and notably faster than 'dodge' and 'hit' animations of characters). But I'm going to release a faster NPC skill package in the future while keeping the included attack animations at their current highest speed.

You can find the mod on the dedicated Nexus site for Enhanced Edition:

https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsinenhancededition/mods/10

I'm very happy with the results and am looking forward to your impressions!

If someone wants to create a video, feel free to post it here!

And last but not least: Special thanks and credits to Norbyte for his converter tool. Without his magic of converting game files to readable text format I wouldn't have been able to create this mod!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the following the full information from the Nexus page:

Content

Player animations

Skill animations (percentage = animation duration):

65 % (x1,5 speed): moderate, comfy
55 % (x1,8 speed): moderate, solid speed
47 % (x2,1 speed): good balance of speed and visuals
40 % (x2,5 speed): fast and fluent
32 % (x3,1 speed): most responsive and fluent, action-gameplay

Attack animations (percentage = animation duration):

75 % (x1,3 speed): moderate
65 % (x1,5 speed): quite fast
55 % (x1,8 speed): 'realistic'
47 % (x2,1 speed): hack&slashy, most fluent

Not included for technical reasons (added in the future, if possible):
Male Player: Dual Wield Small Weapons attack variant 2

NPC animations

Attack + Skill animations (percentage = animation duration):

75 % (x1,3 speed): moderate (attacks) and rather slow (skills)
65 % (x1,5 speed): quite fast (attacks) and moderate (skills)
55 % (x1,8 speed): 'realistic' (attacks) and solid speed (skills)
47 % (x2,1 speed): hack&slashy (attacks) and balanced (skills)
47 % (x2,1 speed) skills, 55 % (x1.8 speed) attacks: realistic (attacks) and balanced (skills)
40 % (x2.5 speed) skills, 55 % (x1.8 speed) attacks: 'realistic' (attacks) and fast (skills)
32 % (x3.1 speed) skills, 55 % (x1.8 speed) attacks: 'realistic' (attacks) and very fast (skills)

Not included for technical reasons (added in the future, if possible):
Demons: Target-Skill start and end animation
Cyclops Wizard: one Skill animation
Artillery Flower: all animations

Movement speed

Players: +10 %, +20 %, +30 %, +40 %, +50%
NPCs: +10 %, +20 %, +30 %, +40 %, +50%, +60%, +70%, +80%, +90%, +100%

Planned content

Faster movement speed for NPCs (done)
40 % and 32 % version for NPC skills (keeping attack animations at 47 %) (done)

Compatibility

Version Compatibility:
This mod is made for D:OS 1 Enhanced Edition.

Save and game compatibility:
The files can be added and removed at any time.

Mod Compatibility:
Animations: Compatible with all mods that don't make changes to the same animation and Content files and don't require the MainLSF.pak.
Movement speed: Compatible with all mods that don't make changes to the same RootTemplates and don't require the MainLSF.pak.

Not compatible with Spotegg's FastMoveSpeed mod (MainLSF.pak).

Last edited by Abraxas*; 24/03/20 03:49 PM. Reason: Update2

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
UPDATE:

Different versions for NPC movement speed are available now (for all characters in the game). They range between +10% and +100% for run speed, though everything beyond 50% is only for the most impatient players.

I capped the maximum run speed at 7.00. Characters with an initial value higher than 7.00 will keep their value. Rats, rabbits and chickens are capped at 3.50 resp. 3.00.

I also moderately increased walking speed, capped at +25% resp. at 2.25. Characters with an initial value higher than 2.25 will keep their value.

Last edited by Abraxas*; 22/03/20 02:51 PM. Reason: Addition

C
stranger
stranger
C
I re-downloaded the dozen or so files, but i could not tell what files had changed in this last update, would you mind specifically telling me what i needed to download to get the latest version?

Thank you very much for your awesome mods, i really appreciate your ongoing & past works! =)

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
I only added a new file ('NPC_MovementSpeed - V. 1.0' in the category optional Files), all other packages are unchanged. Changes to existing files will always be reflected in the version nummer of the file and the change log.

Nice to hear that you like my mods. smile

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
UPDATE 2:

Two faster versions for NPC animations are available now, while keeping attack speed at 55 % duration (at 47 % some NPC attack animations start to become noticeably faster than the reaction animations [hit, dodge etc.]):

40 % (x2.5 speed) skills, 55 % (x1.8 speed) attacks
32 % (x3.1 speed) skills, 55 % (x1.8 speed) attacks

I also added an NPC version for 47 % skill duration + (a bit reduced) 55 % attack duration for the above reason.

Everything complete now for this mod, I think.

Last edited by Abraxas*; 24/03/20 03:52 PM.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Many thanks for this, feels great.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Thanks for the feedback. smile