Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Took me about 50 hours to finish it and I didn't even do all the side quests. Pretty sure that you guys put a LOT of work in this game. There are so many things in it, that I could easily put way more time in it for all quests. I remember the first time I started the game and just from the menu design and music I knew this was gonna be worth it! The fact that I can practice each class before choosing is a nice thing to have, and the game has a lot of unique skills (like Mindread). You can feel that characters have different personalities, but some of them look identical which can be confusing at times. But not a big issue, the dialogues are great (some funny ones too). The music is perfect, totally matches the game's environment, story and overall atmosphere. The environments are enormous and extremely detailed considering this game came out about a decade ago. And that's why there is a lot of room for exploration and secrets to be found. In fact exploring and making side quests kinda make the game easier because they are rewarding. Some people rush the game and miss a lot, then complain about the combat system or I don't know what else. Even to this day the graphics hold up in my opinion. I don't understand why this game is not more popular and why some people hesitated or talked trash about this masterpiece. I am definitely gonna write a positive review of this on Steam once I complete the next part (Flames of Vengeance), totally worth it. One of the best RPG games ever made in my opinion, I am glad that it exists.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I agree with everything you said: "well I would say that, wouldn't I?" but it is the game that got me into Divinity! Of course it had its own controversy as all new games do and I think some people didn't like it not being isometric, but the third-person PoV really brings it to life IMHO. It's interesting that for something that uses the same rendering system as Oblivion (ISTR both are based on much the same version of Gamebryo) it has aged better visually. And crashes less often!

I suspect a lot of people simply didn't know about it at the time. It was the huge publishers' heyday back then and Larian was a small studio with a publisher that was only interested in pushing the product out the door, hence it originally being released without the final chapter. So I think that's the problem right there: the publisher. By the time they'd properly finished the game in the guise of DKS, times had moved on...

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
--- am I correct that Larian moved on too and now self publish?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by caninelegion
--- am I correct that Larian moved on too and now self publish?

Yes. After Flames of Vengeance they started work on a new engine that would really make the feeling of a dragon soaring through the sky, something the old one just couldn't do. They started self-publishing. Swen even started a blog on that topic. It was really an exciting time for us fans back then.
And even though Dragon Commander wasn't a huge financial success, it was enough to kickstart the next project (well, that and Kickstarter I guess).

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard