Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Dhampir's aren't a thing in D&D really, but Vryloka are, and they are very cool, IMHO the coolest race in all of 4e, because they were mechanically intetresting and had vampiric fluff that made them very different from Dhampirs, while playing in the same thematic sphere.

First off they were usual red heads, they could turn other humans that dead around them into Vrylokas, and they had unique twists on vampire lore, they background lore was great. I would love to see the race updated for 5e. Basically Vryloka were more living vampires like you have some MtG settings, but with a bunch of unique twists.

5e does have prototype Living Vampires in the Zendikar Planeshift Artivle, which while unofficial, was made by the developer of Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and the upcoming Mythic Odysseys of Theros, as well as helping to write Eberron: Rising From The Last War. Ixalan's planeshift article also had its own version of living vampires.

And there are those of us expecting a Zendikar campaign setting book connected to Zendikar Rising Set coming this winter, most likely releasing in 2021. And if that is true, we will likely get updated rules for Zendikar's living Vampires.

old hand
old hand
I think alot of the posts in this thread are silly. First off of course both Gnomes and Halflings are in, as well as at least the main elf subraces, perhaps all of them. All the PHB races are going to be in the game, so posts saying we don't need both Halflings and Gnomes are pointless. And just be cause both races are short doesn't mean they are interchangable. Making sure all the PHB content that they can tranlate to a CRPG has been made clearly a priority, races, subraces, classes, subclasses, backgrounds, ect...

Now moving onto none PHB races, we already know some are going to be in, Githyanki is confirmed, which makes Githzerai extremely likely as well. Aasimar are very important to the Forgotten Realms setting and they have a long history in FR, including in some of the best CRPGs, like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Icewind Dale, so extremely likely to be in. And it doesn't matter if you think they shouldn't be in, because at thispoint odds are its a moot point. Genasi are likely in as well for the same reason, although hopefully Larian fixes their mechanical issues.

Beyond that it gets harder to pick, although I think Goblinoids (except for the Verdan), Lizardfolk, Orcs, Goliaths and Tabaxi have a really good chance of being in, but they are much better targets for debate because they are not as close to being certain to be in as the other races I've mentioned are, so use this as the starting point for debating instead of races that are pretty much far gone conclusions.

addict
addict
We need romanceable succubus companions too.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by William Flint
I would argue that since resources are indeed finite it is a shame to waste them by including voice acting in an rpg, since not only does it take up time and budget, but so drastically limits other options such as dialog choices and character creation choices. As well as that if you are going to limit yourself that way it would be better (and bolder) to include races no other games let you play as rather than the same old same old. Although depending on how far along they are it may be a moot point with resources already being spent. On the other hand the majority of issues discussed on forums like these are already probably decided so might as well make the pitch.

I would counter that the immersion gained by voice acting is immensely much more worth than the word salad which oftentimes is the result of an overemphasis on text. Almost without exception the added dialogue choices are there to provide an illusion of choice and/or are nonsensical time-fillers and adds little to a game, even detracts from it.

You make it sound like you haven't played neither BG nor DOS2. Even twenty years ago, Baldur's Gate had voice acting. Albeit somewhat limited, it was still one of the key features that made the game a classic. The voice acting in DOS2 was absolutely superb. The talking heads encounter alone is the most hilarious acting in any RPG/video game. A text delivery of the same would have been dry and wasted in comparison. DOS2, who was a Kickstarter game published by Larian themselves, featured one million words, 74,000 lines, and 1,200 different characters with 80 actors to do them all. This tally was added on by the Definitive Edition released about a year later free of charge to game owners. How "drastically limiting" do you imagine a million+ voiced words are? On the other hand, I can easily imagine falling asleep reading all of that. Besides, the budget of BG3 will be far larger than DOS2. This is a combat driven role-playing game, not a text adventure!

Voice acting is a separate field to programming and thus much less of a bottleneck, making it a matter of resources - not really of time. Resources well spent, as important or more important than outstanding graphics in my opinion. There are over 40 playable races in D&D 5e, then add subraces to that total. In order for your kobolds and goblins to be realistically added, then half a dozen more popular alternative races would likely be added before them. Dragonborn (will v.likely be implemented as part of PHB), genasi, goliath, aasimar etc. All requiring graphics, voice acting (likely) and a fleshed out storyline.

Last edited by Seraphael; 08/04/20 05:37 PM.
stranger
stranger
I've always been an elf/half-elf kind of guy but I'm going to be reall ybummed if we don't get half-orc as a race. They confiremd all PHB classes but not exactly the races which they seem to be picking and choosing. Adding GIthyanki due to the heavy mindflayer focus.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Dhampir's aren't a thing in D&D really, but Vryloka are, and they are very cool, IMHO the coolest race in all of 4e, because they were mechanically intetresting and had vampiric fluff that made them very different from Dhampirs, while playing in the same thematic sphere.

First off they were usual red heads, they could turn other humans that dead around them into Vrylokas, and they had unique twists on vampire lore, they background lore was great. I would love to see the race updated for 5e. Basically Vryloka were more living vampires like you have some MtG settings, but with a bunch of unique twists.

Oh, I had a Vryloka in 4E! Loved her so much. Had the best story for her, with assassins and treachery and a last living heir to protect and avenge. So much fun.

It'd be interesting to interact with Astarion as a Vryloka. I wonder if he could still feed on you.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Wynne
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

Oh, I had a Vryloka in 4E! Loved her so much. Had the best story for her, with assassins and treachery and a last living heir to protect and avenge. So much fun.

It'd be interesting to interact with Astarion as a Vryloka. I wonder if he could still feed on you.

The Vampire Class and Monsters could still feed on Vyrlokas in 4e, so I don't see why not.

But as 5e hasn't released an update Vryloka yet, I strongly doubt they will be in the game by official full launch.

veteran
veteran
I also think so, with "Guildmasters guide to Ravnika" they stated the guidelines of "Dhampir-like" races and guilds, so I assume if they create a half-vampire race It would be tied to the races and guilds of that setting. If they revive the Vrylockas those could be perceived as too similar to the ones in Ravnika (Yeah, I know they are not, but they are in a surface level)

Last edited by _Vic_; 12/04/20 02:36 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I also think so, with "Guildmasters guide to Ravnika" they stated the guidelines of "Dhampir-like" races and guilds, so I assume if they create a half-vampire race It would be tied to the races and guilds of that setting. If they revive the Vrylockas those could be perceived as too similar to the ones in Ravnika (Yeah, I know they are not, but they are in a surface level)

Ravnica has more regular Undead Vampires and Mind Vampires, not the playable living Vampires like the Vryloka are more Zendikar, Innistrad, Ixalan, and maybe a few others. Although Vryloka is the Greek type of Vampires, so they in particular would fit on Theros.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Omegaphallic i think you are beeing overly optimisitc.
Theres a 0% chance for goblinoids or lizardfolk.

Githyanki are in because they are tied to mindflayers.
Im actually genuinly concerned that Halforcs and Dragonborn might not make it in

all of the races have different head modles, making races that look identical is exactly as much work as making races that look very different.

So no, having both gnomes and halflings is a drain on ressources.
And realy, is there a differnce?
Both only get picked as joke options by that guys.

Last edited by Sordak; 13/04/20 06:15 AM.
Banned
Banned
the point of D&D is player choice.

S
veteran
veteran
S
yeah and i prefer the choice of more interresting races thant he choice between two literal joke races.

Banned
Banned
good thing your choice has nothing to do with anyone else's choice.

you do not choose for other people.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by qhristoff; 13/04/20 06:50 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I'm fine with kobolds, goblins.....as long as we get an in-game option to genocide them.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I kind of agree. To not see dragonborn and half-orc(which is on every d&d video game) would be kinda bad in my opinion. Even gnome should be in the game, and I'm sure it will be since it's been on baldurs gate 1,2, and expansions.

It'd be cool to see aasimar make it into the game though.... since tiefling is already in the game..which is the opposite of what an aasimar is.

old hand
old hand
My first d&d character was a actually a kobold, sooo ya +1 for that race. Goblins straight up eat people...so no

old hand
old hand
Evil races.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by William Flint
I don't neccesarily disagree that fewer races done well would be better. But even then it would be nice to see a developer skip one or two of the expected races for interesting ones. As in goblin and kobold interesting.

What you find interesting and what the consensus of potential players find interesting are likely quite different things. There's a reason the races in the PHB were the first character races offered by Wizards when 5e came out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sordak
Githyanki are in because they are tied to mindflayers.
Im actually genuinly concerned that Halforcs and Dragonborn might not make it in

all of the races have different head modles, making races that look identical is exactly as much work as making races that look very different.

I'm honestly surprised that dragonborn aren't already in EA. With as much of the DOS2 engine as they reused and the fact that their lizards are practically dragonborn anyway, it wouldn't take a ridiculous amount of tweaking their existing models to make them work for BG3.

veteran
veteran
Just to confirm - we are absolutely getting Gnomes, Ha'f-orcs, and Dragonborn. This is confirmed.

Everything else is up in the air. However, Duegar would make sense and I have heard whispers that they might show up.

Everything else would probably be a DLC, or a Mod. I have friends who want Kanku and Tabaxi and all sorts of odd things.

Blackheifer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard