Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beeber Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Am I gonna get an audience for my character's autobiography?

Hello folks.

I've been a fan of the Divinity series since Ego Draconis came into existence back in 2010. I'm also a fan of Skyrim, yet despite the sheer size of Skyrim, I still like Divinity 2: DKS better. The analogy I'd use for this is... Skyrim is a diamond, undoubtedly more valuable than Divinity 2. But Divinity 2 is a ruby and I have a deep love for the color red.

A year ago I started a Skyrim campaign and joined the official Skyrim community in the Bethesda website. Now, I used to be an avid roleplayer in the way I approach English RPGs like these, but that had changed a long time ago. In the Skyrim community, I started a sort of journal of my character in the format of a forum thread, each day having an entry of my dude's adventures. Doing this without the restriction of a specific roleplay idea and simply pretending that I'm the character who got sent to Tamriel and then writing my adventures was incredibly fun. It was fun, but the reason it was fun was because I had readers.

I plan to do something similar here. But this won't be a journal with daily entries. Too late for that, unfortunately. So instead, I'll write down a giant autobiography supposedly written by my character Barack. I really would love readers for this. I'm not a trained fiction author but I consider myself, overall, an eloquent writer. I will bet you you will enjoy the ride.

I'm not looking for praises or critiques. I simply want to know that my work will be read and enjoyed by others. Yes, a big part of me simply wants to do this for its own sake, probably something to read in a literal Heaven when I die, the same way Barack reads The Atrocities of Samuel Puppykiller, Evilest of Mages while eating Aleroth fried chicken with Tom. But I want people to read it too. Emphasis: Not to get praises or critiques, I just want others to join me in the way I pay homage to this game.

So will you read it?

I will read whatever you write too if you link it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Beeber
Skyrim is a diamond, undoubtedly more valuable than Divinity 2.

Poo!

Skyrim is undoubtedly the larger game but D2 had a much bigger impact on me personally. I felt it was a much more definitive game, at least for my own gaming history; but speaking as someone who really loved Oblivion and found Skyrim didn't quite measure up, I'm wary of doing to it what so many dyed-in-the-wool Morrowind fans said about Oblivion.

So will you read it?

Probably! Will others? Maybe. Not because they aren't interested but because nobody scrolls down this far. We're planning on moving the chat section (including RPG chat) nearer to the top as soon as we're able so that might potentially be a better home for it.

J'aime le fromage.
Beeber Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Oh Vometia thank God. Quick reply. I expected this thread to be dead for a full 24 hours before a single reply. lol

Yeah, and I posted in your thread too!

I still haven't beaten Flames of Vengeance because of my restartitis and lack of time. But this time is different.

However, I have beaten Ego Draconis many times.

Support
Support

There are still a handful of people around periodically.

At release a couple of people documented their playthroughs in the topic Who's playing DKS on nightmare difficulty ?.

stranger
stranger
*sniffs* Did someone say Divinity 2 DKS themed FanFiction?

Now in all seriousness Divinity 2 is underrated as hell and i think there is not enough fictions or fanarts for it. I am not sure if it will have big weight but i will definitely love to read your fanfiction. 😊
Btw i seriously reccommend finishing Flames of Vengance since Its great game.

"Come not between the dragon, and her wrath."
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree. Flames of Vengeance is an immense lot of fun ! You should definitely play it before writing.

Last edited by Lotrotk; 08/04/20 07:51 PM.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Originally Posted by vometia

So will you read it?

Probably! Will others? Maybe. Not because they aren't interested but because nobody scrolls down this far. We're planning on moving the chat section (including RPG chat) nearer to the top as soon as we're able so that might potentially be a better home for it.

I'm of the opinion that most don't look below the top three categories on the forum (the two latest games and the modding section). Moving it up may not help.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by caninelegion
I'm of the opinion that most don't look below the top three categories on the forum (the two latest games and the modding section). Moving it up may not help.

I've been pestering for permission to move it to second position (i.e. right beneath whatever's the game du jour) for ages now giving Raze virtual earache in the process! We're just waiting for the go-ahead but perhaps unsurprisingly the decision-makers are busy with other things...

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
I's nice to meet other people people who like this game too. Most of my gaming buddies were either not into similar games or disliked the game, or never bothered trying it so I was the only one. And every time I talked about how amazing Divinity 2 DKS is I'd get no reply. Just post the text, I'm sure you won't have anything to lose.

Beeber Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Vometia and Aethernia so far have said yes, they'll read it.

Now I'm excited.

Is anyone else gonna say yes? lol

Thanks folks.

Just to clarify, it will not read like a novel. You'll see soon what I'm talking about. It will be colored by my philosophical background, lots of thinking and analyses of certain things.

And thanks, VeganCookie, for the kind words and encouragement. Will you read it too?

At this point, I have no clue how long or short the whole thing will be.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
At this point, I have no clue how long or short the whole thing will be.

Well yeah, it's hard to plan these things out: they just happen however they're going to happen! I'm always puzzled at how so many authors and musicians with a contract manage to produce creativity on demand, though I guess the point is that many of them can't.

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
Well I'm gonna be at home for at least 2 more weeks so count me in, I guess I have enough spare time grin

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Spare time is one thing; being in possession of a mind that doesn't simply go "..." when tasked with creating something is quite another!

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard