Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
From a badass intro to such a letdown as soon as you arrive in A1/fort joy.

But instead we are treated to a sunny paradise , i dont even see the point of leaving fort joy....there is no sense of being hunted, no urgency to leave.

Instead, waves upon waves upon waves of Voidwoken should have been re-spawning in and around Fort joy, so it gives you a an actual reason to leave. The Voidwoken and their insatiable hunger for flesh and blood, as well as the source element w/e it is, as well as attraction to their fallen comrades which they will devour--the more you kill, the more and bigger, badder monstrosities should be respawning, eager to avenge their fallen and feast on you, as well as their dead brethren and whatever source they had in their bodies

By the lore standards , all those sourcerers there should be like honey to flies, that place should be teeming with voidwoken. They are the main enemy of the game, yet in A1 it feels like the magisters are, based on how many of them you kill. The magister NPC's themselves claim about endless waves of voidwoken attacks in the swamps, but it never comes to pass!

What was the point of making all these cool creature models, giving them animations(e.g deep dweller, drillworm, others), if they only show up a few times in the story? I guess it makes them unique but at the same time it breaks all the immersion. This is this world's final stand, all hell is breaking loose, but instead there are no enemies to fight. Thats it, you've won after you killed all the enemies in fort joy

From a gameplay perspective, you are also forced to min-max since enemies are limited and that means exp is not infinite, which is ridiculous. And that means by having to look up walkthroughs online, kill allies and traders, etc.

I can see why the Devs gave us the Modding Toolkit--we are basically left to having to re-code the entire game to ourselves . Sign...now to find out how to remove dead bodies as my game is being overloaded. But I think Ill figure it out and make it how the game was meant to be

Last edited by trickshotter; 09/04/20 07:20 PM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I general I find respawning a drag and hate when games resort to it, but given that this game is so reliant on levels and as you say there's only a limited amount of XP it would have helped me with the difficulty. They could have restricted it to certain areas, such as underground dungeons so you're not constantly having to deal with it. They needed to allow for some flexibility if they are going to insist on heavily level based.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Umm, people being taken to the fort and never being seen again? Sounds like a-rate motivation to me. I don't like grinding for EP - that's a game breaker for me. I agree that, lore-wise, voidwoken should be attracted there. They are all over the place outside of Ft Joy. Perhaps Bracus has something to do with keeping them out. Much is unsaid and left to the imagination in these games. I've never killed allies or traders and have done fine. I don't even steal from neutrals. I've generally reached about level 20 and that seems to be enough (although I really made a mess of things my first two playthroughs). Basically, there is no need to grind in this game and that is a good thing. No-reason respawns really irk me anyway.

veteran
veteran
I am going to summarise my thought on the game once I finish it. I think what kills the urgency for me is not necessarily mechanics, But writing. All of the protagonists/companions are very.... twitch-y. None of them speak or react as a sane person might, but offer snarky, disconnected comments worthy of a twitch streamer. Good for coop I suppose, but really strange in single-player.

I played as Lhose on my first attempt and found her lack of concern about anything really jarring. This time I picked Ifan, and due to his past and with his profession I find it easier to suspend my disbelief. Though, narratively the game seems to be confused whenever he got captured intentionally to hunt his mark, of if he got captured against his will.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by trickshotter
From a badass intro to such a letdown as soon as you arrive in A1/fort joy.

But instead we are treated to a sunny paradise , i dont even see the point of leaving fort joy....there is no sense of being hunted, no urgency to leave.

Instead, waves upon waves upon waves of Voidwoken should have been re-spawning in and around Fort joy, so it gives you a an actual reason to leave. The Voidwoken and their insatiable hunger for flesh and blood, as well as the source element w/e it is, as well as attraction to their fallen comrades which they will devour--the more you kill, the more and bigger, badder monstrosities should be respawning, eager to avenge their fallen and feast on you, as well as their dead brethren and whatever source they had in their bodies

The source aspect of the prisoners was artificially suppressed which rather removes their significance to voidwoken. And as for the sunny paradise... a few of the "locals" had tried to convince themselves of that, but they all knew what was the deal, whether or not they wanted to admit it. The prospect of ending up stripped of not just their source but their entire personality and spirit and reduced to an automaton makes for a rather uneasy future.

J'aime le fromage.
L
addict
addict
L
Ive never played Dnd with "respawning" enemies. In a video game if lets say the voidwoken near fort joy keep on respawning every 5 minutes you could keep on killing them to get infinite exp.
Typically resources (e.g. exp, gold, weapons, enemies, allies, crafting supplies etc ) is 'reasonably' well regulated to avoid certain issues (and yes I know you can finish the game with millions of gold).
I know some players like "farming" for items and exp. I dont think 'farming' that will be a big part of BG3...

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I can see where you are coming from with the exp farming part, but well...I was coming from a more lore-perspective

as i posted on reddit--enemies dont respawn and the area becomes a peaceful beach and a bloomy swamp. As I said, come to think of it there isnt a point of leaving fort joy with the armored elf girl w.e her name is--you can just safely chill back. you arent in no danger and all your captors have been killed so in my campaign fort joy became a peaceful place with NPCs to hang around(i kinda killed all the magisters for exp, i know, everyone seems to have genocidal tendencies once they learn that exp is finite)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/discussions/0/1483232961051131386/

" Dallis reveals that the whole "source magic attracts voidwoken" is just a lie to try and capture all sorcerers and thus, prevent a new divine from rising. But that is just really inconsistent with everything that has happened up until this point.
"

" You get the point. Pretty much every major voidwoken fight happens after someone uses source magic. Are we supposed to believe this is just a coincidence?"

Also I got past fort joy. and it says every time you use source abilities it attracts the creatures to you(like the opening cutscene), but it just doesnt happen. What about the source pools at the swamp or at the armory? Or the elf girl using it on the ship? We should be getting swarmed by them, us, dallis, the magisters--everyone

Its a good game nonetheless compared to the recent garbage we've been getting. If only the Modding Toolkit divinity engine wouldnt be so complicated. worser than STALKER

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard