Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi!

I recently reached chapter 4 of definitive edition (~40h of play) and since that point I am experiencing constantly crashes when loading savegames!
No difference if I load a quicksave or normal save.
What I figured out:
I created a new user profile and tried to copy & rename filesave folders.
With a new char loading of quicksaves and normal saves works fine without a single crash!
I copied the savegame files (40h gameplay) to the new folder hierarchy - and same behaviour as before - again crashes when loading.
As soon as I delete the latest savegame entry (either quicksave or normal) loading a savegame does work again!

Has anyone an idea on that behaviour?

thankful for all hints!
cheers

Support
Support

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anti-virus and any backup programs that may be monitoring the My Documents folder?

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\LevelCache' folder and delete the contents. A corrupt file there can cause problems when saving or loading, and could be region specific.

Try exiting out of the Steam client, if applicable, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator.

Try lowering the graphics settings and resolution, and switch to Windowed or Fake Fullscreen display mode, to see if that will make a difference.
Later regions of the game are larger, so take longer to load and use more memory, which could be a factor with the crashing.

Originally Posted by petr0c3lli
As soon as I delete the latest savegame entry (either quicksave or normal) loading a savegame does work again!

So whenever this happens, just the latest save is corrupt (or otherwise causing the problem with loading any save)?

Does copying the 2 or 3 most recent saves to a new profile, rather than the full set of saves, allow you to reproduce the problem and fix, as well?
If so, please email supportdos2@larian.com with those saves (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc). If you are using any non-Larian mods, also include a list of those enabled and/or the modsettings.lsx file from your profile folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder'.

stranger
stranger
Hi,
I had this problem on my Mac around November last year and have been unable to play since. I waited for an update (in fact there were two), addressing this problem of not being able to Save. I downloaded both today but I still have the same problem. I am now running v.3.6.58.1306. Can you please remind me any new or old (!) corrective measures for the game as bought from Apple App site rather than Steam. I assume I must also disable my virus protection?

Many thanks

Support
Support

Yes, please disable anti-virus, or at least add an exception, to see if that is causing the problem.
Also shut down any other non-essential programs, especially any backup programs, etc, that may be monitoring the Documents folder.

If you start a new game, can you save and load ok? Moving a bit from the initial character position can trigger an auto save, which might overwrite one from your current playthrough. If you don't already have an honour mode difficulty save, starting one would avoid that problem, since it uses a separate, single save slot (in the difficulty list, after selecting Tactician there is a choice between Regular and Honour).

If a new game also has a problem, does it help if you create a new profile, start a new game and save/load?

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Start/restart your Mac and hold the Shift key down as soon as the progress bar comes up in the startup window, releasing it after the desktop appears. Alternately, from the login window, hold the Shift key when you click the Log In button, and release it when you see the Dock.

Try browsing to the '/Users/<UserName>/Library/Containers/com.larian.dos2/Data/Documents/Larian Studios/Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition/LevelCache' folder and delete the contents. A corrupt file there can cause problems when saving or loading.

Try creating a new OSX administrator user account (either with the Documents folder in the default location, or on a different drive, if available), switch to that account and try starting the game from there.

Try verifying local files:
Terminal
cd /Applications
codesign -vvv Divinity\ -\ Original\ Sin\ 2.app

For the first command, if you have the game installed to a different location, it may be easier to browse to the install folder in Finder, then drag and drop the location into an open Terminal window.
The second command takes a while, and will output some lines starting with '--prepared' or '--validated'. If everything is fine, it will end with:

Divinity - Original Sin 2.app: valid on disk
Divinity - Original Sin 2.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

If a new game is fine, please email supportdos2@larian.com with your latest save (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc), and if older saves are also ok, your most recent working save and oldest where you can no longer save. If you are using any non-Larian mods, also include a list of those enabled and/or the modsettings.lsx file from your profile folder.
Each save is a folder in the '/Documents/Larian Studios/Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition/PlayerProfiles/<ProfileName>/Savegames/Story' folder.
In Finder you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting compress.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Hello,

Excuse me to reuse this thread after some years, but I have a similar issue, everytime I load my save, in Arx, with almost everything completed, I have a blue screen. It always happen at the end of the load screen. I deleted my cache like it was suggested and it works, but after an hour of game and two new saves, it crashes again and now even that seems useless.

I tried all of my saves and quick saves but all of the saves connected to this playthrough seems to have the same issue.

Being in or out of the steam client doesn't change anything.

When I use my other save, at the beginning of the games everything works just fine.

What should I do?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Hello,

I have same problem : crash, lag etc
DOS2 buy on Apple Store
Macbook pro 2020
Processor : 1,4 GHz Intel Core i5 quatre cœurs
Graphism : Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 Mo
Memory : 8 Go 2133 MHz LPDDR3