Print Thread
T
TheBear Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Hello,

Saved this topic on a different section, and I figure it's not the correct one.

I played a lot yesterday and was saving the game every so often. I've got a large number of save games, so I was over writing to save space on the hard drive.

In fact I was 'rolling' several times in Lovis's tower to see if I could beat the guy in the bottom of the tower and re-roll for better loot.

At about 7:00 pm I saved the game again and exited back to windows desktop. I returned to playing about 30 minutes later and found that the freshly saved game file? Now was a match for the auto save file done several hours prior. No warning or other issues. I've been saving/overwriting enough so that if I got face planted? I could catch up fairly quick. So when I resumed the game and found I was shoved back about 3-4 hours in game play? I was perplexed. I attempted to load both the 'auto save' and the manual save game files, and they are both a match.

Now my expected question: Why did this happen? And how to prevent it. I'm at the max save, so I am over writing the past files. Considering I did have to reload from my manual save files several times, I know the saved files should have been valid. Just when I exited all the way to windows desktop? The last save game file looks like it's date stamped correctly, but the data is as mentioned, hours old.

S-

apprentice
apprentice
From what you are saying, the thread title's misleading, the save game files are not missing, if you are at maximum saves, the problem is actually that an existing file was not overwritten, as expected.
The most likely error, is always you didn't do what you thought, if the error does not repeat, you likely failed to save the position, as you thought.

So In the first instance, I'd try to repeat the error, to eliminate user error, as the cause.

I would still suggest you delete the majority of the older saves, AFTER making an Archive copy, rather than overwriting the older ones, as it's always best to keep a full set of saves.
Well designed PC games never limit your saves, we have no need to restrict them, but archiving them, and deleting works for the ones with Consolitus disease.
Out of curiosity what is the max saves limit? I currently have 71 manual save files.

It would also be very prudent to check the Savegames folder and files has not been set to read only in windows, by checking the folder properties window. Games will often appear to save as normal, but it never gets applied to the file if the read only box is ticked.
I've found this is the biggest cause of most saves missing reports, but probably not in your case, as it's usually all saves missing, and often the settings as well.

Folders, only shows two possible outcomes
Box ticked = All files set to read only
Blacked out box = Less than all files may be set to read only. (Range is zero to All-1)

Files results, has three outcomes
Box ticked = All files selected are set to read only.
Blacked out box = Some of the files selected are set to read only.
Box empty = None of the files selected are set to read only.

Rather than check each file individually to find the ticked files that are set, you can select a section, to narrow things down quicker, with halving each time being most efficient elimination process.

Support
Support

I don't think the OP is still waiting on a reply, but older saves can be moved to a subfolder, etc, and while the manual saves follow a naming convention, saves can be renamed without issue (I've only tried adding things, like savegame01-levelX.dxg).

The easiest way to get to the save folder would probably be to copy the following into the location bar in Windows Explorer.
%LocalAppData%\Divinity 2\Savegames

Congratulations on the post number, I guess. evil evil

I got 667... neighbour of the beast. biggrin

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard