Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
How do I open an autosave from \PlayerProfiles\<profile name>\savegames ? It is just an .lsv file and I want to reload an autosave that for some reason is not showing up in the game but is in File Explorer.

Thanks

Support
Support

If you zip the lsv file in the save folder, does the size decrease significantly? It is already compressed, so if zipping it reduces the size by very much it would imply that it is corrupt and there is missing data in the file (one or more sections replaced by zeros, for example).

You can also check the save using an extractor program, if you wish (download).
After starting the ConverterApp.exe program, switch to the 'PAK / LSV Tools' tab, and at the top under 'Extract Package', in the 'Package path' browse to the save's lsv file, then for the 'Destination path' browse to that or another profile's '..\Savegames_patch' folder and enter a new folder for the extracted files (you can copy/paste the path from the path listed above and edit it; ie to be '..\Savegames_patch\autosave_extracted') and click the 'Extract Package' button. This will give an error if the file can not be recognized as a save, or if the contents can not be extracted, or the size or checksum value of the data do not match what is listed for the corresponding file in the archive.

If the save is corrupt:

Do you have any recent backups of your My Documents folder?
If you are using Windows 10, it may have put My Documents in a OneDrive folder.

Do you have Windows shadow copies enabled, if applicable? Try right clicking the save folder, or the 'Story' folder, select Properties and (if available) switch to the Previous Versions tab to see if there are any copies.

If applicable, Steam keeps a copy of the profile in its install folder, to use when syncing, so you could try searching there, as well (Steam usually syncs automatically when exiting the game, and restarting should always trigger a sync, if required).

You can try a file recovery program such as Recuva, but it is unlikely you would be able to completely restore previous versions of overwritten/corrupt files. In general, the more you use the computer after files are deleted or overwritten, the less likely they will be recoverable.

With the Steam version, if your save is still online (Steam did not sync, or the save became corrupt after syncing), you should be able to download it using the program Steam Cloud File Manager Lite (download). You need to be logged in to the Steam client and have the game's AppID (373420 for the EE).

Alternately, you can log into Steam in a browser and use this link (this will also let you download saves, but you would need to manually rename them, as Steam combines the path and name together for the online name).

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard