Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
City design in D:OS games followed different visual conventions from BG 1 and 2.

Both BG and Athkatla streets had a somewhat festive feel and generally held a promise of peace and safety relative to dungeons and outdoors. By contrast, Arx and Cyseal were defined by stony walls and cobbled streets, invariably right angles, and, in Arx's case, toppled columns. While Cyseal was a great place, every single building there was a straight-angled rectangle. All buildings shared literally one same grey texture. This is clearly very different from very distinctive buildings, nonlinear streets, and complex areas of BG.

I feel that Defiance Bay in PoE matched the visual cues of BG well, but was devoid of life and content. Content density and quality in Cyseal, Fort Joy, and Driftwood matches and exceeds that of BG, but honestly i would not be able to tell which of those towns a given screenshot was taken in: `a generic Divinity town`.

There were both light and heavy characters in BG and DOS games, but in general, people in BG were earnest, whereas people in DOS were cheeky.

Day and night cycle was a (major?) factor in the city life in BG and Athkatla, whereas the divinity games froze a given time of the day per area.

The cityscape in BG was dominated by roofs, whereas a plurality of urban structures in Divinity games was weathered walls with roofs missing. Given the cinematic trailer for BG3, i wonder if the city of BG will have an 'intact' feel as in the original games or more of a 'crumbly' feel of The Arx?

Buildings in the original games were slightly oversized compared to character models: every room was guarded by a barn-sized door (or an open garage gate in the case of the Friendly Arm Inn). However, The Arx takes it to the next level with every sculpture being gigantic, every wall being enormous, every handrail being above a person's height, every crate a 20-ft container.

Tl;dr I would really be interested in seeing in screenshots of the city of Baldur's Gate and comparing them to the original game.

Obviously they can't build the city to scale but I would love a 'full' city instead of just a few short streets. I don't know if Yartar is a playable area, but judging by its size in the cinematic trailer I have hope.

veteran
veteran
Well, neither Baldur's Gate nor Athkatla were in open conflict while Arx was under siege of voidwoken. With invasion by mindflayers it's possible that cities in BG3 won't be going about their business as ususal.

If I remember right Larian said that BG3 is more vertical then D:OS2 and I am pretty sure rooftops were mentioned. I am curious how they will make the city in BG3 - will it consist of different large areas like in BG2? Or will they try to cram a city into one smaller map? That's something we might not find out for a long time, as currently the team most likely focuses on making EA content as polished as possible. I don't expect to get a peak at Baldur's Gate for a while.

Last edited by Wormerine; 30/05/20 06:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by graphic_nature

Tl;dr I would really be interested in seeing in screenshots of the city of Baldur's Gate and comparing them to the original game.

BG3 will happen 200 years after the events of the Baalspawn crisis so it will be awkward if the city and his inhabitants look the same.

It would be nice if they build an entire city to explore, with the Upper, Lower, Outer cities and Duskhawk hill, instead of using only several streets, like in games as DA2 or NWN2.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by _Vic_

It would be nice if they build an entire city to explore

I'm optimistic about getting a large open city area to explore. I'm sure they will be lively and vibrant like Cyseal, Driftwood, and Fort Joy. That's in contrast to how NWN 2's Neverwinter had only a few great spots like Moire's warehouse and Merchant Quarter, but otherwise was so cookie-cutter, unfocused, and unimportant.

We certainly got a few rooftops in the new teaser! A fight plays out on what looks like a town square, and there are characters on rooftops. This is more roofs than I could ask for and it looks fantastic from top-down. But why use the same tile for every single roof and the same plank for every single wall in town?

Last edited by graphic_nature; 31/05/20 10:36 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard