Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by Sordak
i dnt realy understand why you are so upset about the renaissance aestheitc.
it appeas to mirror FR pretty well.
note that FR is a kitchen sink setting and that the level of aesthetic and technology vary greatly based on wehre you are in it.
Rashemen was always based on the Kievan rus and thus it mirrors that ancient vikings and slavic aesthetic.
Baldurs gate was always a bit odd in that.

I guess a lot of people assumed an early middle ages level of technology and fashion.
Quite frankly, thats more Greyhawk than Forgotten Realms.
Now, id actually find it refreshing to go full Dark Ages again with DND, but the current Art just doesnt look that way, and it hasnt since ADnD

Not particularly upset; it's a personal preference arising from playing DnD ( including Greyhawk & Blackmoor ) in the 1970s. I have no problem with other systems addressing other settings, but DnD to me has always meant classic swords & sorcery in a pre-handgun world.

FR is heavily reliant on real-world historical, geographic and cultural parallels ( as are many other settings ) for their sense of familiarity and ease of assimilation for the player. That doesn't mean I will like how they choose to develop it, if it goes against my sense of what DnD means ( which is definitely not clothing elements from 1600CE ).

Astarion would be a particular problem as he has no other redeeming features, in my eyes. As it seems I can discard or kill him, that problem is solved.

Uff... If you take a look at how is the actual 5e Forgotten Realms setting and I think you have to rewrote all your post in the past tense he he.

Like firearms. There is a gunslinger class in 5e, for example. And the artificer creates a little gun turret device that shoots the enemies at your leisure.

As I said before, not all the changes come from Larian, they´re doing a faithful approach to how is the FR 5e setting now, in character designs, colour palette, mechanics, etc... If you google it you can see that is how D&D5e is right now.

Point in case:

Taking a look at the WoTC official material from D&D beyond and the monsters manual anyone can see that they made a pretty good depiction of the creatures the videogame versions of the creatures really look like the D&D5e counterparts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But they are changing things too in every community update, so I expect many more changes.

stranger
stranger
It's good to hear that they improved the combat (camera movement, initiate system, etc) up, although I'm a bit disappointed to see the same body animation being consecutively recycled on characters.

Last edited by IanTheWizard; 15/06/20 01:01 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by IanTheWizard
It's good to hear that they improved the combat (camera movement, initiate system, etc) up, although I'm a bit disappointed to see the same body animation being consecutively recycled on characters.

Yeah, the animations, spells and physics (especially the collisions and impact) need a lot of work. But judging by the other improvements on this new trailer, i am positive they will fix it.

journeyman
journeyman
It's important to remember the game isn't completely polished yet. It's still in alpha or pre-alpha.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Originally Posted by IanTheWizard

Yeah, the animations, spells and physics (especially the collisions and impact) need a lot of work. But judging by the other improvements on this new trailer, i am positive they will fix it.

This is literally what Sven was talking about; getting the MoCap completed for animations, spells, and physics. Covid has obviously made working together in a group rather difficult, so this part of development is what's further-est behind. They have art, they have models, but the movement needs to be recorded.

S
veteran
veteran
S
it appears to be a draw weapon animation.
admtitedly the Dagger looks stupid, but id expect all the humanoi d races o share animations.

Now, somegames dont do this, liek WoW, and the effect is quite nice. but considering the ammount of races theyve got already and hw simmilar the races we got are ...

addict
addict
Yes - how some people can have such a clear opinion of a game that hasn't even reached early access yet is quite surprising - why not wait for the June 18th gameplay and see what positive strides Larian Studios have made. Im a D&D fan from , well to many years ago now - i just want a great game & I have high hopes from what I can see thus far.

Last edited by Tarorn; 15/06/20 07:52 AM.
veteran
veteran

Yeah, many people have the review of the game already written since the first cinematic video, with little room for change.

There are people that already hate the companions because we already watched like four lines of dialogue or something like that; so I expect this going downward from here.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ZeshinX
... Frankly they don't strike me as Forgotten Realms NPCs...they strike me more as enthusiastic cosplayers.

From what I've seen from the gameplay trailers, it feels like these characters have been created and written by Buzzfeed opinon bloggers for twitter people (who will never buy the game btw). OK, we have that covered. Now what about the remaining 90 percent of the world who don't need to have their expectations subverted? I hope upcoming origin characters are more interesting.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_

Yeah, many people have the review of the game already written since the first cinematic video, with little room for change.

There are people that already hate the companions because we already watched like four lines of dialogue or something like that; so I expect this going downward from here.

Yep. It seems to me like a lot of people are spitting out nonsense because they decided in advance that they hate the game, and nothing will ever budge them from that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by _Vic_

Yep. It seems to me like a lot of people are spitting out nonsense because they decided in advance that they hate the game, and nothing will ever budge them from that.

Right back at you as someone who decided in advance that the game is the greatest game ever made and nothing can possibly ever be wrong or bad about it.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
Right back at you as someone who decided in advance that the game is the greatest game ever made and nothing can possibly ever be wrong or bad about it.

I haven't seen anyone say this is the greatest game ever. Even people like me that are stoked about what has been shown and think it looks phenomenal aren't saying it's the greatest game ever or that "nothing can possibly ever be wrong or bad about it". They haven't shown nearly enough to make that kind of claim. I will say, however, that this is the greatest game ever made and that nothing can possibly ever be wrong or bad about it wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kaspr
From what I've seen from the gameplay trailers, it feels like these characters have been created and written by Buzzfeed opinon bloggers for twitter people.

I didn't see enough of Baldur's Gate3 to judge characters, but that, more or less, was a problem I had with D:OS2 protagonist/companions. None of them were believably grounded in the universe and seemed to speak like snarky coop players, rather then in-universe characters. Not something I want in an RPG.

stranger
stranger
June 18th new gameplay reveal.
when does that start on June 18? so what time does the gameplay start? is that the first minutes at the beginning?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wolfenring75
June 18th new gameplay reveal.
when does that start on June 18? so what time does the gameplay start? is that the first minutes at the beginning?

Baldur's Gate 3 LIVE at 10am Pacific Time tomorrow, June 18th at https://twitch.tv/dnd

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by ZeshinX
While I will be buying and playing come full release, can't say I'm all that impressed with the NPCs we've seen up to this point. I intend to give them all a go (as I did with BG and BG2)...except Astarion. The Renaissance aesthetic throughout what we've seen thus far disgusts me (I detest the look, both actual and fictionalized Renaissance) and Astarion, unfortunately, seems to exemplify that style. I plan to do what I normally do to NPCs I loathe in the BG series...Ctrl + Y gib them so they're gone for good (if such an option will exist for BG3). An overreaction to a simple aesthetic I suppose, but I truly do utterly despise it.

Overall, what I find objectionable to the NPCs is they seem wildly too contemporary in personality. Rather than appearing to fit in the fantasy world they're in, they seem to be more akin to people you might know today (minus all the fantastic powers and whatnot obviously lol). Now I don't expect them to speak in "ye olde Englishe" and other such tropes like every dwarf has a Scottish accent, but the flavor is lacking (using terminology of the setting, expressions of excitement and frustration that are more fitting with the world they're in). Frankly they don't strike me as Forgotten Realms NPCs...they strike me more as enthusiastic cosplayers.

I'm still gonna buy and play this, but I gotta say, I've yet to see much to allay my doubts Larian can do this title justice.

I agree with that. I see that many people are concerned about environment color palette but I'm more concerned about companions (especially how big they were in BG2). At the moment I don't really like any of them, they don't seem fit for some "epicness", more like fantasy millenial blog. Of course we've only seen fragments but general design probably will stay. I hope they will introduce some great indviduals fitted deeply in fantasy world.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard