Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Well, you have Sorlocks that are way more effective than pure warlocks and are built around Eldrich blast (I found`em boring but they put some impressive numbers)

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sorlock_(5e_Optimized_Character_Build)

https://www.enworld.org/threads/guide-the-sorlock-%E2%80%93-guide-to-the-tormented-divine-soul-with-xanathars-divine-soul-17-hexblade-3.596310/

But sorry if I give the impression that I was diminishing the value of warlocks. I think warlock is a very fun class and one of my favourites. Patrons are one of the best features for RP in 5e, IMHO.

Last edited by _Vic_; 20/06/20 12:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor

Eldritch Blast needs to becomboed with invocations to be effective.

Which ones? I don't see many invocations which have useful combat spells, so I guess you didn't mean combat invocations.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Eldritch Blast needs to becomboed with invocations to be effective.

Which ones? I don't see many invocations which have useful combat spells, so I guess you didn't mean combat invocations.

Agonizing blast, can give +5 to each eldritch blast, Chains of Carceri a hold monster like invocation, Eldritch Spear, Repelling Blast, Lance of Lethargy, etc.

In a game where verticality will matters a lot, repealling blast will be amazing. Think the possibilities. Rogues are approaching trying to sneak attack you and ... They got "repealed" to a canyon and take fall damage.

Or you cast black tentacles, the enemies are finally free and approaching and repealling blast then to the tentacles. Repaling blast can help a lot the party. Can save the life of a cleric, can put enemies back to a wizard AoE, can prevent the tank from taking attacks of opportunity, is one of my favorite invocations.

Originally Posted by _Vic_
Patrons are one of the best features for RP in 5e, IMHO.

I agree BUT one big problem that i have is that many people seems to think that patrons are the source of the power and their relationship with warlocks is like cleric/deity and not master/apprentice. This is not the case on 2e(witch subkit), 3.5e nor 5e.

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 20/06/20 03:21 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine

But i said that PoE 1 had extremely weaker spells and hence had to be changed to per encounter on Deadfire, because more powerful a spell is, more limited his usage should be.

smile it was changed to per-encounter, because Obsidian decided to do so. If they wanted spells to be stronger they would have done so. Spells are still really effective in both PoEs. PoE2 might have made spellcasters a bit too good IMO.

They already experimented with per-encounter design in PoE1 expansions. There is no point to rest system, in a game which doesn’t have structure to pace rests. It was always a problem in Infinity games. Per-encounter makes power available to player constant and therefore allows for better encounter design.

Not always. I preferred the system in PoE1 because it was reminiscent of the BG games, and you could do things at your own pace and rest before very difficult fights to have all your slots ready.
A consequence of PoE2's design, at least for the highest difficulties is that even though wizard were more useful for average encounters due to being able to go all out all the time, the more limited spellcasting per encounter made them almost useless in boss fights. Even extremely high damaging spells won't do much against a boss with 6k HP, since you can only cast said spells once or twice, after that your spellcaster is deadweight.

Last edited by Danielbda; 20/06/20 03:51 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by Wormerine

But i said that PoE 1 had extremely weaker spells and hence had to be changed to per encounter on Deadfire, because more powerful a spell is, more limited his usage should be.

smile it was changed to per-encounter, because Obsidian decided to do so. If they wanted spells to be stronger they would have done so. Spells are still really effective in both PoEs. PoE2 might have made spellcasters a bit too good IMO.

They already experimented with per-encounter design in PoE1 expansions. There is no point to rest system, in a game which doesn’t have structure to pace rests. It was always a problem in Infinity games. Per-encounter makes power available to player constant and therefore allows for better encounter design.

Not always. I preferred the system in PoE1 because it was reminiscent of the BG games, and you could do things at your own pace and rest before very difficult fights to have all your slots ready.
A consequence of PoE2's design, at least for the highest difficulties is that even though wizard were more useful for average encounters due to being able to go all out all the time, the more limited spellcasting per encounter made them almost useless in boss fights. Even extremely high damaging spells won't do much against a boss with 6k HP, since you can only cast said spells once or twice, after that your spellcaster is deadweight.

Yep. Compare this """"""balanced""""""" spell casters which are always evokers or generalists with for eg BG2 spell casters.

[Linked Image]

Even DDO which is pretty harsh to the casters users made at least warlocks great. To name one warlock ability of Carcery warlocks : Absolute Zero:
Attempt to lock a single enemy in ice permanently. Enemies must succeed on a Will save vs DC (15 + Warlock level + Charisma Mod) or be forever trapped in solid ice. Enemies made of fire will instead be destroyed with no save.

Why they did that? Because the class is behind a pay wall. Even if the class is vastly different than 2e,3.5e and 5e, still great with a lot of great abilities. Because nobody will pay for a class that can't do anything.

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 20/06/20 04:41 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard